WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, June 29, 2012

Dance with the Devil: Chapter 17

“Carly,” Ric said, turning on the charm, “So nice to see you again.” He turned back to Todd. “I’ll look into some of the things we discussed. Also, I would like you to reconsider the pre-nuptial agreement.” With that he left without answering Carly’s question.


Carly stared at Todd, who returned the funny look. “Why am I getting that look?” Todd asked in a bothered tone.


“Ric Lansing is your attorney?” When Todd nodded, Carly repeated louder, “Ric Lansing is the attorney who argued insanity?”


“Yeah, so,” he asked again. “Oh, is it because he’s Sonny’s brother? Is that the problem your having?” He put aside his work and a gave off an air of nonchalance. “I knew exactly who he was when he came to me. I’m not stupid, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. I know what kind of relationship he has with Sonny. But, he laid out a pretty good case why I should hire him.” He let out a sigh, “Besides, at the time, I still thought Sonny was responsible for the accident that killed my granddaughter. I figured that Ric could be useful in any plot I came up with for Sonny. But, when I got back here, I came to see what really happened that night. I decided to keep Ric busy on other legal matters. I guess he got wind the shooting and came.”


“So your using Ric?” she asked.


“Well, in all fairness, he was using me. We have a couple of things in common. We both have a fatal or near fatal dislike of our brothers and we both have some kind of mommy issues. When he was able to get me released after I jumped bail, I could tell he was good,” Todd said as he smiled. “Something tells me you didn’t come here to warn me about Lansing, though I am touched by your concern and am thankful for your visit.”


Carly shook her head in amazement. “This may be fun because, knowing Ric, he probably thinks he’s got the better of you. Did you ever let on what you knew?" When Todd smirked, Carly had her answer. “I did come by to offer not only my congratulations on your’s and Blair’s engagement, but also, if you’d like, my hotel for the wedding.”


Todd smiled. “Well, that is kind of you, but I can’t even think about that right now. I have to work on getting better and walking and…I really need to get out of this hospital.” It had taken three days, but finally Todd’s innate antsiness was coming back. “My son and my nephew were going to go to the park. Jack plays soccer and though I never played it, it would be nice to be outside watching them.”


“So, you were a jock, huh? Let me guess, football?” Carly asked. With Todd’s nodding reply, she continued, “Offense or defense?”


“Ah, defense. I really just started playing to impress my father, but he never seemed to be.” Todd looked over at the tablet, then back out the window.


Carly could tell he was upset that he couldn’t be outside with his kids and what his injuries may have cost him. “Hey, I know your type. You’ll get through this. You’ll have this surgery and you’ll be up in no time. In fact, I have another offer for you.” She smiled as she said, “Before I was a hotelier, I was a physical therapist. If you want, I can help you through it after your surgery.” After a minutes pause she added, “If it’s alright with your fiancée, of course.”


Todd had to laugh. He thought it over. “That’s very generous. If Blair’s okay with it, and I don’t see any reason she wouldn't be, let’s do it.” He turned back to the window, hopeful for the future.


As Todd stared out the window in the general direction of where they were, Jack was running circles around his little brother.


“Jack, let me try! Let me try!” Sam called.


Jack looked up in the direction of the little boy when he saw Molly come towards them. “Here, try what I was doing for a while,” he said as he kicked the ball. As Sam played in his line of sight, he walked over to Molly. “I want to apologize for yelling at you last night,” he said to the teenage girl.


“It’s alright. I understand you have a difficult relationship with your dad,” she replied. “I went to see him yesterday to confront him with what he did to my sister.”


When Jack looked at her with a question on his face, Molly realized she never told him about being Sam Morgan’s sister. They talked about it, as Molly explained what his father had told her when she saw him. “He did seem ashamed about it and very sorry.”


“Yeah, we did all talk about it last night. He told my sister and I about the lousy amount of bad luck that happened, from finding Tea at her hotel to leaving the hospital with her. Did you know he encountered Heather Webber at the shed. He never said what she was doing there but Heather tried to help. Then before he could tell Tea about her son, Heather told him that Sam was abandoning her baby, so since Tea’s was dead but she didn’t know it, she should just keep Sam’s baby,” Jack explained.


Molly looked confused. “Wait, Heather was there that night?”


“Yeah, from what my dad said, the whole idea was hers,” Jack said. “He says he didn’t want to go along because he made my mom think I was dead when I was a baby and how all that turned out. If Todd Manning knows anything, it’s when a plan is doomed from the start.” He could tell by her look she was thinking something through. “What it is?”


“Heather has some kind of grudge against Sam. I don’t know why, but that also fits with something else. I was talking to your mom about it the night of the shooting and she said that when she asked your dad if he knew who shot him, she thinks he was trying to say Heather. If your father knew she was responsible and he finally told the truth, that would give her a motive for murder.” Molly looked up at him with a small smile on her face. “There’s an old saying, ‘The only way for two people to keep a secret is if one is dead’. We need to go tell the police,” she said as she grabbed his hand.


He stopped her. “I’ve got my little brother with me, besides, we’re trying to keep him away from as much of this as we can.” He looked at his watch then at Sam. “Look, I need to get over to the hospital. I’ll meet you at the police station in two hours and we can tell them then. I think they’re already looking for Heather anyway.”


Molly nodded. “Okay, I’ll see you then,” she said as she left. When she got to the entrance to the park she saw a woman pushing a wheelchair. The man in the wheelchair didn’t seem that old, but he had a glassy expression and was drooling. The woman pushing him, obviously a nurse, was talking softly to him. All of a sudden, she stopped, noticing Molly, who was staring.


“It’s impolite to stare at the disabled,” the woman scolded her. Molly walked away, feeling embarrassed. But as she looked back at the man in the wheelchair, she felt there was something about him that was familiar.


The woman pushed the chair to a wooded part of the park. Behind some brush, she saw Jack and Sam Manning picking up their equipment and heading in the opposite direction. “I am sure you’re so happy to see your boys. Sam misses you. But don’t worry, he’ll be getting a new father soon. And Jack has finally accept Todd back into his life, so there would be no room for you, even if they knew you were alive.” The woman stroked his head, putting on an air of melancholy for her patient. “Then there’s poor Tea. She’s lost her beloved and their child. Or at least she thinks she has. Our friend did an excellent job with her end. But alas, Todd had to go and ruin it. The guilt seems to have been too much for him to bare.” After Jack and Sam were completely out of sight, the woman came out from behind the bushes. “Well, he’s been dealt with at least.” She turned to the man. “What do you have to say about all this? Of course, that’s right. A year’s worth of being drugged has taken such a toll on you.” As a cool breeze came up, the woman began to make her way back to the park’s entrance with the wheelchair. “You poor man. Lost to your family. Your wife, your children, your sisters and brother. But don’t you worry. I’ll take good care of you,” she promised as they walked off together.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh.. Aliison and Victor Jr.. and another great Molly/Jack scene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I wonder if Tomas and Baker still work for Irene and faked both Victor and Irene's deaths.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!