WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, December 24, 2012

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 12

"How good of all of you to choose to be with us," Father MacNamara said.  Three nuns in impeccable habits stood, waiting.


"We're glad to be here, Father" one of the three said, graciously accepting his hand and shaking it.  They all proceeded into the lobby of St. Anne's, each with a simple black suitcase and nothing more.


He said, "I am sure that our patients will benefit from your experience and expertise.  We are grateful all of you have decided to become members of the staff here at St. Anne's.  We've had an influx of guests over the last week, when the Melbourn Institution closed."


"Thank you, I am certain I'll fit in just fine here.  I've met a lot of the other nuns, they're very nice.  And it's a beautiful setting," the tallest one said.


"Yes.  We certainly pride ourselves on keeping the place attractive and pleasant for the residents."  Father responded.


"It shows, Father.  It's quite lovely here," another said.  "I'm Sister Elizabeth Mary, this is Sister Francis Joseph and Sister Ambrosine."


"Please, make yourselves at home.  I expect Sister Rebecca Katherine to come soon.  She'll be the one showing you to your quarters."


Behind them, lingering by the door, was a fourth.  As the first three clergywomen went into the family room area to wait for Sister Rebecca Katherine, Father MacNamara approached the latecomer.  He said, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was another of you coming."


"Well, no one was, I was sent from the Mother House, knowing that you need so much help, Father.  I'm glad to meet you," she put out her hand.


"How will we address you, Sister?"  He said, shaking it.


"Sister Martina Agnes.  I'm so pleased to be here," she said, and smiled warmly to the priest.


***

Dorian walked into the kitchen.  She was fluttering around like a butterfly, and both Kelly and Cassie watched her every move.  


She went into the refrigerator, pulled out a yogurt, swung it to the counter to open it, opened the drawer with a flourish and then got a spoon.  Practically spinning, she sat herself at the table opposite the two of them.


Kelly said, "You'd better stop dancing with that yogurt before it ends up all over all of us."


Dorian ate some, and said, "Well then I'll just sit here and be quiet."


"Mother, you know you want to tell us."  Cassie said.


"Tell you what, Cassie dear?"


"About the date!"  Kelly slammed the table.  All of the liquid in the various cups and glasses splashed a bit.  


"Oh, that," Dorian said.  She continued to eat her breakfast.


"Come on, Dorian, spill!"  Kelly chided.


"There was a date."  Dorian said.


"We know that," the two younger women said, practically in unison.


"It was . . . nice."


"Mother, we give up, already," Cassie said, leaning forward on her elbows.  "Come on."


"It was a lovely time.  He's a charmer.  He's interesting.  He's colorful.  He has an intriguing past.  He's debonair, sophisticated, entertaining.  He's a gentleman."


"This sounds great..."  Kelly said.


"Just the last one, the gentleman part,"  Dorian said.


"Okay, fill us in, what does that mean?"  Cassie said.


"He was a perfect gentleman, and in this case, I was actually hoping he wouldn't be."


"Mother!"  Cassie said.


Kelly said, "Oh never mind, Cassie, tell us more, Aunt Dorian."


"We went to dinner at The Country Club.  He took me dancing at Capricorn."


"Dancing at Capricorn?" Cassie said, laughing.


"Yes, and we danced for hours.  And talked.  He's quite entertaining, and I dare say a bit romantic."


"Opening doors, and such?"  Cassie said.


"Yes, but . . . something more intoxicating than that."


"Whoa!"  Kelly said.  "Intoxicating.  That's a lot for a first date.  Any lip action?"


Cassie said, "Kelly!"


Dorian puckered her lips in response.  "I don't kiss and tell girls.  But, I think Mr. Broderick has made me see things differently around this town."  Dorian said, "He's  . . . Let's say he peaked my interest in staying around here a bit longer."


***

Jack came into the house, and put his bookbag on the table by the door.  "Dad?  Dad, you here?"

Blair came down the staircase with Ray in her arms, "See, your brother's home.  See?"  The toddler put his arms out to Jack, and Jack took him and flung him up a bit in the air.  Blair said, "Careful, he just ate."

Jack stopped, and putting Ray in his arm, walked toward the family room.  "Is Dad home, Mom?"

A twinge of jealousy went through her, but her happiness that Jack wanted his father won out.  "No, not yet.  Any time now, I think.  He wanted to go to The Sun for a while.  Said he had a few problems to work out."

"Would it be okay if Williams brought me there?  I really want to talk to him about something."

The door closed behind them, "If you're talking about me, too late."  He went to Blair first, and kissed her, sweeping her into his arms effortlessly, and Jack did his usual look-and-flush-red.

He went toward Jack and scooped up Ray.  "Hey you," he said, holding the baby close to his chest, over his shoulder.  Ray was getting older; he didn't rest there as easily, and sometimes he squirmed so much Todd would have to change it.  He said aloud, "I miss when you were my little sack of flour, Little Guy."

Blair, misty-eyed, said, "Me, too.  They grow fast."

He looked at Jack, "So, did you want to talk to me about something?"

"Yeah, I . . . kinda do."

"I'll go take Ray upstairs.  It's almost nap time," Blair offered.  She knew her son wanted to talk to Todd alone.  It was probably man business.

"So, what's up, Son?"  Todd said, making his way into the family room.  He began to build a fire without much thought.

"It's about Jenna.  Something . . . well, something happened."

"I think we should have had this talk before now, then.  It's kind of rushed, and you should have access to protection . . ."

"No, Dad, not that!  I just met her.  It's something else."

Todd was secretly relieved.  He wasn't quite ready for his first born son to take on that personae.  He wasn't sure when he would be, but he knew, it would be sooner than later.  "Like?"

"She cried at lunch, and I finally got it out of her.  Her mother is missing."

"Missing?"

"Yeah.  Something about leaving the family for some guy, and then not coming back.  She said she used to write, and then it stopped."

"Where is she from?"

"She won't say."

"Where is the mother from?"

"That either."

"Where was she last seen?"

"She gave me nothing, Dad.  I just . . . don't know how to handle it, because I want to help her."

Todd looked at his son and realized what was happening to him.  He was falling for the girl.  His son was falling in love.  He said, "I can't do much to help you unless I know more.  But, I think you're asking me how to handle her, right now, is that it?"

"Yeah."

"Just be there for her."  For some reason, he heard The Coach's voice.  "Just listen, and be there.  And, if you can get her to trust you, try and get more info.  Then maybe we can help."

"I thought of that.  You have all those resources and stuff.  Maybe you could even find her?"

"I can't promise, but it would be worth a try.  I'd need more info, though.  That's where you come in.  but I'll tell you, don't push.  She'll tell you when she's ready."

"Like you?"

"I guess.  Yeah, if you want to say that."

"Did you tell Mom, Dad?"

"A little, yeah.  I don't want you to worry about all that.  I've got it under control.  She knows there's something.  You need to forget it."

"How can I?  It's all I can think of, sometimes.  My grandfather was . . . he was a freak."

Todd sucked in his breath, and briefly closed his eyes.  When he opened them, he saw Jack, looking contrite.  He said, "Nothing to be sorry about.  You can say whatever you feel to me, you have that right.  You're my son.  And you're right.  He was a sick man."

"He wasn't your real father, though."

"No, he wasn't."

"Mom said your real father was not so great either."

He sighed.  "No, he wasn't."

"How did you get to be such a great Dad, then?"

How did you get to be such a great Dad, then.

Todd didn't know what to say exactly, he just pushed his emotion back and said, "It's easy.  A great set of kids, and that beautiful wife of mine.  Makes it simple."

"No, really.  How did you know how to be a good Dad?  You had a bunch of crap when you were a kid."

Dark paneling.  The door is little. . . He ran his fingers through his hair.  "I don't know."  He felt his head lightening.

"Dad, you okay?"

Todd didn't answer.

"Dad?  Dad!"  Jack called out, as Todd toppled over.  Jack went to the base of the stairs, and yelled for his mother.

Blair bounded down the stairs as quickly as possible.  "Oh my God, Jack, what happened?"

"He was just sitting here talking to me.  I . . . think it was my fault.  I asked him how he learned to be a good father, and then he just went blank.  God, Mom, is he all right?"

Her expression revealed to Jack that something was terribly wrong.  "Todd?  Todd!"  She called, gently slapping at his cheeks.  "Todd, come on, all right?  Don't zone out on us."

After a few minutes he opened his eyes.  "Hi, Blair."

"Hi.  Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay.  I just, I don't know, I just got dizzy a minute.  Must be the lack of food today.  I haven't eaten since breakfast."

"Yeah," she said, "Maybe that's it."  Worried, but not wanting to pursue what it really was about with Jack there, she helped him back up onto the couch and sent Jack to get a cool towel for his head.

He said, "Thanks, Jack.  That feels pretty good."

Blair said, "Jack, please go see to Ray."  After he left the room, she said, "Todd Manning, I've had just about enough.  What the hell is going on?"

***

Sister Rebecca Katherine saw Bea drawing a picture in the solarium, and walked slowly to where she was.  She said, "May I see it?"


Bea was hesitant, and covered her work with her hand at first.  Looking to Sister Rebecca Katherine's smiling face and soft eyes, she moved her hand slowly away.


The nun picked up the drawing and said, "My, that's a fine piece of art.  You're a bit of a diamond in the rough, eh, dear?"  She looked up, and smiled at the nun.  The drawing was of the Wall Speedwells that they had picked. 


Sister Rebecca Katherine sat at the table with her new friend, and watched her continue to draw.  "Would you like some colored pencils to add color to your pictures?"


The woman looked up and made the same, small nod she had made to the nun days back when they went to the garden.  The sister got the pencils, and returned back to the table and placed them down.  Bea had returned to a previous drawing, and opened the box and carefully selected a pencil, and worked diligently to continue her picture.  Sister Rebecca Katherine, meanwhile, had a small conversation with her, as she worked.  "I think you're very talented, dear.  This is a lovely picture.  But for the life of me, I can't quite figure it out."


Bea ignored her, diligently drawing, and adding, and choosing color after color to make it just right.  


The nun continued, "It's beginning to take shape, quite nicely.  It's a building or something like that, isn't it?"


Bea continued to draw, furiously, and the nun watched as the form took place.  "A kind of a palace or a castle.  You're quite good, dear?"  she hoped the woman would say something to her, or at least try. 


Within a few moments, Bea lifted her head, and her face was not all smiles.  She was blank, more toward fear than any emotion.  She slid the picture toward the nun.  There was a beautifully crafted drawing of a church, standing majestically, with very ornate details and tall spires.  In front of the church, were lovely shrubs with blossoming flowers in red and pink.  The path was cobblestone, and the day was portrayed as sunny and bright, with clouds and birds flying overhead.  As Sister Rebecca Katherine looked closer, one other detail became apparent; etched lightly and blended into the largest mass of clouds was the ominous face of a man.     


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!