WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, December 28, 2012

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 14

Blair put her arms around Todd's waist from behind as he worked in the kitchen.  She said, "When did you become such a chef?"

"I don't know.  Since you weren't, I guess."

"Hey!"  she playfully admonished, "I'm the mother of your children.  I can't be everything."

He smiled, and touched her hand.  He said, "Your son's got it bad."

"Orinia bad?"

"No, different bad.  With Orinia, I really think he was just in love with love and wanting to save her.  He said as much, or tried to.  He . . . wanted what we have.  Believe that?"

"Yes.  I want what we have, too."

"Well," he said, turning, "you have it."  He looked directly into her eyes.  "Is it really what it's cracked up to be?"

She kissed his lips softly.  "Yes."

"Well then, we're in business.  And seriously, she's a nice girl and he's smitten."

"What's she like?"

"Pretty, talented.  He seeks out his mother, and he doesn't realize."

She raised an eyebrow.  "That's sweet, Todd.  Talented?  How?"

"She's an artist.  I saw some of it.  She's good.  The teachers at school want her to do an art show.  She can't afford it.  Of course, that's where . . ."

"You offered.  I know you, Mr. Manning.  Anything for your kids."

"Well, the obstacle is that he's not willing for her to know that we're . . . in the money."

"He's not, eh?  That explains the car rental."

"It does.  He's embarrassed a little and afraid a lot.  He doesn't want to scare her off.  My point to him was, tell her the truth."

"You suggested that?"  She elbowed him.

"Hmf.  Yeah, I did."

"And?"

"He's not biting.  Yet."

***

Jenna poked at the food in her plate.  Lynnette said, "Jenna, what's the deal?  You're not eating."

"I don't know, I guess I am distracted."

"Jack Manning?  The boy seems nice.  However, I've told you . . ."

"I know, Lynnie.  Please."

"This is not an easy topic, but you know how I feel about . . . well. . . things."

She looked at her sister.  Not wanting to cause her pain or bring up old demons, Jenna simply said, "I know."  Jenna still blamed herself, and didn't want to argue.

"He seems like a good kid, all in all,"  she took a bite of dinner, and through chewing, said, "it's just his father that I object to."

"You don't even know him.  Either one, actually."

"I know enough."

"People change."

"Rapists don't."

"How can you be sure?"  she said, and the moment after she said it, she wished she hadn't.  "I mean, why can't people change sometimes?  Jack said he's been through a lot.  Maybe it changed him."

Lynnette got up, bringing her plate to the sink.  Scraping the rest into the drain, she said, "I don't want to talk about this, or hear more about it right now.  You don't know."

Jenna watched her sister.  She was beautiful, but always alone.  She hadn't been able to reach out to anyone yet.  Jenna said, "I didn't mean to make you lose your appetite."

Lynnette braced herself on the sink.  "You didn't.  You're not to take the blame for any of that.  It's in the past.  You couldn't have known.  Remember?"

But it was her fault.  If she had shown up at the time she was expected, and Lynnette did not have to wait for her, nothing would have happened.  Everything would be different.  Just everything.

***

"Dorie.  It's me, Timothy."

"Yes?"  Her heard her voice over the line.

"I was wondering if you would do me the honor of another date.  It might be as soon as tomorrow."

"Might be?"

"Well, tomorrow, then.  I wanted to take in a little show at the dinner theater.  Are ya game?"

"What show is it?"

"Goodness, woman.  You'd think the time with the likes of a Broderick would be enough.  It's 'Bye, Bye, Birdie.'"

"One of my least favorites," she said, removing an earring to make talking on the phone easier.

"I see.  Well, it's eight o'clock, then."

"I'd love to," she said, and promptly put down the phone.

***

"Lord," the nun began, "I need your help.  I want to get through to this woman.  I want to be able to help her, and I need the strength and the patience to continue.  I'm asking ya to support me with your light and your guidance.  Give me the heart to withstand whatever comes.  Lead me to the answers that will help her.  And, God Bless my family, Timothy, Todd, Blair and the beautiful children.  Thank ya, Amen."

The nun turned over in her bed, and removed her glasses.  She was unable to close her eyes.  Her recent exchanges with Bea had given her quite a lot to think about.  She's an artist.  She has a vision, she expresses it in art.  Her thoughts, her words.  Lord, please let her trust me.

***

Jack, feigning a homework session, booted up his father's computer.  Having gotten permission to use it for research any time he needed, he wouldn't be suspected if seen in The Sun home office.  Quickly, he opened the research tools that his father had taught him about and began to search.

"Just don't let them come in, not now," he said aloud.  

Sam appeared at the door.  "Can I play on the computer?"

Jack was not in the mood.  "No, Squirt.  Not playing.  So, scram."

"What are you doing?"

"Homework."

"Homework?  You don't have any of your books or anything."

"Sam, come on, leave me alone.  Okay?"

"Okay, but you want me to get your bookbag for you?"

"No.  Go on, go play or something."

"I wanna play with you."

"I know, but I'm busy, okay?  I gotta do this."

"Okay."  Sam left, dejectedly, to go back to his room.  Jack, checking the doorway for more traffic, typed in his search.  Disappearance of Todd Manning, 2003.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

  1. Huh. Wonder what Jack's up to.

    Lynette. I sense a troubled past.

    Interesting. Great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest. Lynnette I can say you're right about. Jack's Jack, Todd's son! :D

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!