WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 7

"You want to tell me what this is all really about, Jack?"  Todd said, as Jack finally lifted his head off his father's shoulder.  He had finally quieted after Todd, not saying a word, flinching or moving, had put his arm around him and witnessed the emotional dam's bursting.

"I guess."

"If you don't want to, that's okay.  Seriously, it's fine.  But if you want to, I'm here."

"I want to.  I'm just . . . "  he couldn't find words.

"Something happened at school.  Right?"

"Yeah.  There's a new girl.  Her name is Jenna.  She's . . . nice."

"Hmf.  Nice, huh?  Pretty?"

"Beautiful."

Todd smiled, realizing where his son's mind was.  "Okay.  So what happened?"

"The first time we met, she accidentally smashed into me and her stuff went all over the place.  She started crying, not because of that, because of something else.  I tried to talk to her, but she had to go to class."

"And you did."

"And I did, yeah.  So, the next time I saw her, I sat with her at lunch.  Some girls came up and asked her why she was sitting with me."

"Oh, jealous?"

"No, not like that.  They told her I was a bully.  That I got Shane on the roof.  Then, they said . . ."

Todd knew exactly where it was leading.  Instead of jumping in, he let his son pause and then begin to talk again.  "They told her I kill people.  Then, they said for her not to come over here, because . . .because . . ."

"Because I'm a rapist, huh?"

Jack looked at his father just then, and his cheeks flushed.  "Yeah."

"Okay, well, they're not wrong on one thing, just their grammar is off.  I was a rapist.  You know that.  And I think . . ." A deep, porcelain sink, stained, and shelves . . .

"Dad?" Jack said, as Todd's voice trailed off and lead nowhere.  His father's expression was as if he was somewhere else.  "Dad?"  he said, slightly louder.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, Jack.  I, was saying that I am starting to understand why I did what I did, what's behind it.  It's just taking time.  For the first time in my life, I'm finally understanding me.  But as for what they said about you, totally wrong.  You don't 'kill people.'  You did some terrible things, we all do.  It resulted in the accidental death of someone.  Yes, you bear responsibility for that, but that doesn't make you a killer.  You never intended for her to die, or for anyone to."

"I guess."

"It's back to Ray, Jack.  As your father, I have to step in and tell you that you have to.  You need more work on this."

"All right.  And what about you, Dad?"

"Me?"

"Yeah.  I . . . know what happened.  I heard you."

Todd swallowed.  He did not want his kids to know anything more of what he dealt with as a child.  "You heard me?"

"Shaun brought me home early, because of what happened.  I wanted to talk to you, and I heard.  You're going back to Ray, right?"

"Yes, I am.  But I'm not too happy you heard.  It's not something I want everyone to know.  And I didn't want you dealing with more."

"I won't say anything.  But, Mom doesn't know, does she?  That you're going through this."

"She knows what happened.  She just doesn't know about the flashes.  I don't want her to deal with that right now.  Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I do.  Don't worry, I wasn't supposed to hear, so I am pretending I didn't.  Sometimes it works."

Todd realized that what Jack heard was also playing on his mind.  "I'm all right, Jack.  I just want to find out what it all means.  It's not your responsibility to worry about me."

"Okay."  He sniffed, and wiped his nose on his sleeve.  "I feel bad though, Dad.  For what you had to deal with."

"I appreciate that.  As for you, give the girl a chance.  Maybe she won't listen and she'll decide for herself.  You never know."

"I didn't think of that.  I just walked off."

"See?  Maybe she's okay with judging you for herself."  He said, hugging him again, across the shoulders.  "Let's go downstairs for dinner.  I'm sure your Mom is worried about what's going on."

"All right."

Todd stood up.  "I love you, Son.  See you downstairs."

***

Sister Rebecca Katherine picked up the phone.  "Yes, hello."

"It's me, Creena.  Your brother.  How are ya?"

"I'm living, my brother, and I'm fine.  And how is your life?"

"Going well," he said, "I wondered what you're doing . . . have ya been busy?  I've gotten fewer calls."

"You're tryin' to say ya love me, aren't ya?"

"I do, but the nagging has not been missed."

"Timothy Broderick!"

"I jest, my dearest.  I hoped things are well.  I'll admit, I was just a tad worried about ya."

"I'm sorry.  I should think about that when I get so deep into my work."

"What's it about?"

"A patient.  Her name is Bea.  She's being called 'selective mute,' but she's something different.  Somehow I can tell."

"So, you're getting one of your knowings, eh?"

"Sort of.  It's not your typical case, the woman is much different that I've witnessed."

"Well, if someone can figure the woman out, it's you, Dear Heart."

"Thank ya.  Your confidence in me makes my heart warmer.  Are ya comin' to visit?"

"I will be sometime soon, but right now, Todd has me involved in a new project.  It's rather a surprise, but I'll tell ya soon enough."

"All right.  So glad to hear ya, my brother."

"And you, Creena.  Night."

Hanging up, she went to say her prayers.  "Dear Lord, please protect Todd, and Blair and the children.  Keep my brother safe, and bring me the strength and wisdom to help Bea.  Amen."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!