WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 38

      Todd glanced over at Blair as she watched Starr and Sam leave the room.  She had been telling the truth.  She had gone home to get the boys and he had been thinking she was getting back with Tomas.  You’re a fool, Manning. You owe her an apology.  “I’m sorry.”

      Blair looked surprised. “For what?”

      “For not trusting you.  You’ve been nothing but loving since you got here and I haven’t been able to let myself go there.”

      “Where?”

      “To that place inside me, that lets me trust again.  I’m going to need time.  I’m asking you not to give up on me.  I know that could be difficult.  I haven’t given you much reason to stay.   I’m totally screwed up and I’m not sure even Dr. Collins is going to be able to help.”

      “I’ll give you all the time you need.  Just don’t go walking off any docks again.”  Blair sat down on the bed next to Todd and picked up his hand.  She began rubbing his fingers gently with her thumb. “I know what it feels like to think you’ve got nothing left to live for.  I foolishly tried to kill myself over Max and I’m thankful every day that I was stopped.  Max and I were a disaster.  It’s taken me all this time, to figure out that only one man really is my soulmate.  He’s not a saint, in fact, some call him the devil, but he’s my devil.” She wasn’t looking at him, instead, her eyes had dropped to his hands because he had enfolded hers into his.

       “So you’re saying there is one person.  Some non-paragon of virtue that really does it for you.” His grip tightened slightly but not crushingly so.

        “You don’t know the half of it.  He’s the most infuriating, deceitful, lying son of a bitch; but he can be the most tender, generous and downright surprising man I know, and he makes me feel like a queen.”  She looked up to meet his gaze. Her eyes were sparkling with suppressed laughter and she watched his mouth lift into one of his gentle smiles.

       “Hey! You don’t have to get redundant.  I think deceitful and lying mean the same thing.  But you’re right about the bitch remark.  My mother was definitely a she-hound from hell.”

       “I don’t remember saying it was you,” she grinned.

       “You didn’t have to.  The minute you mentioned your soulmate, I knew it was me.  If you recall, I called you my soulmate many years ago, and for me it still holds true.”

       “I know this thing with your mother is driving you to think these kinds of thoughts.  What if those lesions in your brain are the reason you’re seeing your mother?  I know after being held for all those years by her, you don’t want to be in hospitals anymore but if you had the operation, you might finally be free of Irene.”

        “Babe, don’t go there.  I know you want me to have the surgery, but I can’t.  Right now all I want to do is leave this place.  I feel like my skin is crawling and I’m doing everything in my power to keep from freaking out.  I’ve got to get out of here.  I want to get back to the hotel and on the phone to the realtor.  I want to get the home and set a date for us to marry.  Don’t ask me to think about surgery.  Please!”

        His hands once again tightened about hers and she felt them trembling. “You really can’t stand it here, can you?”  She watched his eyes dart around the room and then lock with hers.  “What is it?  What’s the matter?  What do you see?”

       “I see that room and Baker, always in my face.   They would hold me down.   I remember the syringes sticking me, either putting something into me or taking something out, it’s all a jumble.” He shut his eyes tightly, like a child wanting to not see something.   He was trying to clear his mind of the images.

        She took a hand free and caressed his cheek.  “I promise to get you out of here as soon as I can.  The doctors feel the malaria is under control.  If the drug is out of your system, they can’t force you to stay any longer.  Todd, you’ll have to let them draw the blood.  We need to make sure that damn drug isn’t going to be influencing you any longer.  At least, let me get Nurse Webber back in here.  All you have to do is keep your eyes on me and you’ll get through it.”

         Todd took a deep breath.  He forced his panic away and gazed into her emerald eyes.  “Call her, but don’t leave.  Promise, if the drug is gone, we’re out of here.  No more talk about the surgery.”

         “I promise.”   She reached over and pressed the call button.

         Liz Webber looked up when the call button went off.  It was Manning’s room.   It only took her a minute to enter.  “Is everything alright?” She checked the monitors and they seemed fine.

         Todd looked at her.  “ Okay, Ms.Frankenstein, go get your little lab toys.  Blair tells me you have to find out if that drug is still in my system.  This is your one and only chance to get a blood sample.  The offer is only good for the next few minutes.”

****

          Michael looked from Jack to  Molly and back again. “Your sister?  Who are you talking about?”

        “Starr Manning.  I’m Jack Manning and I know you were the one who helped my sister several months ago.  Too bad you couldn’t do the same for my niece.”  Jack was upset.  For a while, he had been able to forget about troubles.  He had been having a good time with Molly until her cousin had arrived.

         Michael heard the anger in Jack’s voice and was about to speak up when Molly piped in.

         “That’s not fair Jack, he really tried to do everything he could for your niece.  What have you been up to, Michael?”

        “I just left the hospital, I’ve been keeping your sister company, Manning.  She’s been there ever since we pulled your father out of the lake.” Michael glared at Jack. “Does Starr know you’re in town?”

         Jack had the good graces to look uncomfortable.  “We just got into town yesterday.  I didn’t know about my father until earlier today.  My mom said someone helped Starr with him, that must have been you.”

         Michael nodded. “She’s been pretty upset.  It’s weird, someone trying to kill him and all.  He was in a bad way when we got him out of the lake.  I know Starr thought she lost him a couple of times during the night.  Just this afternoon something really strange happened.  One minute he was alert and with us and then he kind of freaked out.  I heard from Starr that he was held captive someplace for eight years.  A doctor told us he was reliving some memory of that.  I’ve got to tell you, it was scary watching it.  You should see your sister.  I think she could use all of her family right now.”

        “Yeah, I’ll do that.” Jack shifted in his seat, “Look, I’ve got to go.  Thanks, Molly, for your help.  I think I can find my way back to the hotel.”

        “What about your father?” Molly looked at Jack, “I guess you’re going to the hospital to see him later?”

        “Sure, later.” Jack didn’t want to talk anymore about his father.  Just listening to the events of the afternoon, the way Michael described them, made his stomach queasy.  He left without saying anything else and started his walk back to the hotel.  He recalled his mother saying the PTSD was real and then he heard Michael’s voice. I’ve got to tell you.  It was scary watching it.  Jack was torn. “What do I do? Go back and hide in the hotel, or see him.”

         He squared his shoulders and started to look for a cab when a limo passed by him again.  He watched as it pulled up to the same brownstone where another limo had been earlier.  Jack stopped and moved to stand by a lamppost where he could watch inconspicuously.  Just as he thought, the gentleman from earlier was exiting the building.  This time, Jack had a clear view of his face.  “It is you.  Why are you here in Port Charles and dressed like that, Tomas?  What are you up to?”  Jack noticed another man come up behind Tomas and took a long look at his face.  “Whoever you are, if you’re mixed up with Tomas then something shady is going on.”   Jack ducked behind the post and knelt to fasten his shoe, as the limo made a u-turn and headed back past him.

          Jack rose and quickly passed the brownstone and continued back to the hotel.  His father would have to wait.  He made a beeline for the elevator and back up to the room.  The suite was quiet which meant his grandma was still asleep.  Jack moved to the desk and opened his laptop and began searching out anything he could find on Tomas Delgado.  After about five minutes he felt frustrated.  There was very little information about Tomas.  He knew from his mother and what he had heard on the tape, that Tomas was supposed to have worked for the CIA.  What had Irene said?  Something about Tomas being some sort of assassin.  A shiver went down his spine.  Michael said someone was trying to kill his father.  Could Tomas have been sent to finish the job?  It didn’t make any sense.  Tomas was Tea’s brother.  He had been in Llanview with Tea when someone tried to kill his father.  Are you sure?  Jack shook his head.  It still didn’t explain his presence in Port Charles looking like a totally different person.

           Molly had mentioned another guy.  Think, Jack, what was his name?  Zacchara, that was it, Johnny Zacchara.  Jack loaded that name into his laptop and started reading.

****

           Blair felt like her hands had lost all feeling at one point. Todd had been squeezing so hard.  Even Liz Webber had been concerned when Todd had gotten white as a sheet as she had drawn the blood.  She had lowered Todd’s bed, laying him flat because she had been afraid he would pass out.  It had been over quickly, but it had taken a few more minutes before Todd’s hands had loosened.  Blair reached over and stroked Todd’s forehead.  His eyes were closed and he was still breathing rapidly.  “It’s over.  Just relax, I’m right here.”  She had been scared when he had gotten so pale and his eyes had glazed over.  For a moment, she thought he was going to shut down, but instead, he had just gripped her hands harder.  As she continued to touch and massage his temple, her fingers strayed to his ear and she began to caress the edge.

          Todd opened his eyes at her sensitive touch and looked up at her.   She seemed a million miles away and he wondered if she had any idea what she was doing to him at that moment.  He closed his eyes and let the sensations roll through him.  Her touch had always done things to him.  From the first moment when she had taken his hand in the jail, to the night she had played with his hair as they danced, her touch had really meant the world to him in those days.  She hadn’t shunned him like everyone else but treated him like a man, instead of a monster. As he lay there, he began picturing Blair getting naked and crawling into bed with him.  He was totally unprepared for the touch of her lips on his but responded back with a fervor.  The kiss was just getting good when a small voice broke the quiet of the room.

        “Starr, is Mom practicing her lifeguard training on Uncle Todd? “

         Blair had broken off the kiss the minute she heard Sam’s first three words but when she heard the rest of his question, she couldn’t keep the laugh from escaping although she tried hard to stifle it.  She looked down at Todd and saw he was biting his lower lip in an effort to keep his own laughter from being heard.  She sat up and looked at her youngest.  “Why, Sam, you are so smart.  That’s exactly what I was doing.  Your Uncle Todd wanted me to demonstrate my skills.”

         Starr could only roll her eyes at the pitiful attempt by her mother to explain, but she was grateful it wasn’t necessary for her to say anything.

        “Okay, but it would have made more sense to do it at a pool.  She’s really good isn’t she, Uncle Todd?” said Sam.

         That was all it took.  Todd let out a laugh and because he was lying flat he started to choke a little bit.

          Blair immediately got concerned, “Todd, are you alright?”  Seeing him gasping in between his laughs she just wanted to smack him one.   Then she realized he was trying to ask her something. “What is it?”

         He struggled to keep from laughing even more and instead gasped out. “Raise the head of the bed.”  As the bed lifted him up so that he could see Sam, he got his laughter under control and answered Sam. “Yes, Sam, your mom is really good.  The best around.”

         Blair blushed, feeling the heat rise in her at the look Todd gave her.

        “Look what I got you.  Starr found it and they blew it up right there in the shop.”  Sam handed his uncle the large Get Well balloon with Spiderman webbing the germs.  “Isn’t it great he’s fighting the bad bugs just like you?”

        Todd was touched. “It’s super, Sam.  Thanks.”  For the next hour, Todd played “Go Fish” with Starr, Sam, and Blair, then he began to find it hard to concentrate.  It was even becoming an effort to hold his cards up.

         Blair noticed his fatigue and called a halt to the game.  “Sam, I think we should let Uncle Todd get some sleep now.  He still fighting those bugs and he’s a little worn out.  Starr, would you take Sam back to the Hotel.  Jack is there, it will give you a chance to catch up with him about everything.”  She gathered up the cards and saw Todd rest his head back against the pillow.

        Sam watched his uncle for a minute and then said. “You keep fighting, Uncle Todd.  I know you can beat them.  Bye.”

        Todd opened his eyes and smiled at Sam.  “Don’t worry, I’ll beat them.  Goodnight Sam.  Starr, you should get some rest too.  I’ll be fine.  Blair, you’re staying, right?”

       “Yes, Todd, I’ll be right here.” She heard the tone in his voice.  He really didn’t want to be left alone, and after his little explanation earlier, she understood why. “You rest; I’m just going out in the hall to say goodnight.” She watched Todd relax against the pillow and followed Starr and Sam.  Blair gave Sam a hug. “Be good for Starr and grandma and don’t fight anymore with Jack.  Starr, I tried to talk to Jack earlier.  Maybe you can get through to him better than me.  Stop and see him, he misses you.”

       “Okay Mom, but you’re just as wiped out as me.  When are you coming back to the hotel?”

       “When they release your father.  He needs me, Starr and I’m going to be here for him.  I’m sure the hospital can accommodate me if I stay the night.  I know your father.  We’ll be home before morning if he has anything to say about it.”  After a quick hug with her daughter, Blair returned to Todd’s side.





*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!