WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Devil You Know: Chapter 25


Just as Blair was about to reach for the front door at La Boulaie, it was opened by Michael Corinthos.  Dress in his tuxedo from the night before, the young man stopped dead in his tracks and looked at Starr’s parent.  “Uh, good morning,” he said hesitantly.

Todd looked at Blair than back at Michael.  As he stepped around his daughter’s boyfriend on the way in, he only returned the greeting,  “Hey, have a good night last night?”

“Ah, yeah, but I need to get back to Llanfair and pack up,” he replied, wanting to get out as quickly as possible.

“We’ll be over there in a bit to drop off Molly,” Todd said as Michael scurried away.  Then he grinned evilly at Blair.

Blair narrowed her eyes at Todd.  “That’s all the reaction you’re going to have to our daughter’s boyfriend doing the walk of shame?”

Todd pursed his lips and shrugged his shoulders.  “As much as I hate to admit it, she’s an adult.  Grew up and I could be there for her.  What do you want me to do?  Go beat the kid up?  Sonny Corinthos’ kid?”  Then the grin came back.  “Besides, it’s more fun this way, playing with his head.  Always keep them guess.”  Then he looked up the stairs.  “Now our daughter is another story.”

Starr was coming down when she saw her father and mother in the foyer.  Trying to play it cool, she asked, “How was your evening?”

“I would guess as pleasurable as yours, seeing as how your boyfriend just walked down the drive,” Todd told her.  “Want to tell us something?”

Starr eyed her father with suspicion, then looked to her mother.  “I’m going to let your father deal with this, while I go finish packing.  I also want to make sure the boys are ready to go.”

As Blair left, Starr turned around and went into the sitting room.  Todd followed and Starr closed the door behind him.  “Alright, let’s have it out,” she resigned herself. 

“Have what out?” he asked.  “You’re an adult and if you want to be in a relationship with the son of a mobster---”

“He’s also a Quartermaine,” she added.

“Then that’s fine with me.  That’s why I gave you the gatehouse so you could have some more privacy,” he finish.  Then he sat down and looked at her.  “Shorty, I missed a lot and I know how your uncle reacted in my place.  And I may have done the same, but knowing what you went through, I’m not going to may the same mistakes.”

Starr was shocked to say the least.  But she embraced her father and whispered, “Thank you,” in his ear. 

“I love you,” he said as she pulled away.  “Now, head upstairs and finish getting ready.  We need to stop off at Llanfair, drop off Molly and say goodbye to your Aunt Viki and …Uncle…Clint,” he gasped out, the words sounding distasteful to his ears. 

After another half hour, the Mannings and Molly Lansing said their good-bye to Dorian and Addie, who was going to stay for a few days more, and headed to the Lord family estate.  The Port Charles contingent, as well as Tina and Cord, were already gathered in the library with Viki and Clint. 

“Well, Molly, I am so happy you could join us this weekend,” Viki said as they came in, with her usual graciousness.  She embraced the girl, who thanked her again then turned to Michael and Dillon.  “And thank you.  I know this has been a very difficult time for the both off you.”  She gave Michael a hug, then Dillon.  “Send your mother my personal condolences.  I know how much she loved her father.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Buchanan,” Michael stepped in when Dillon was left speechless with grief for a few moments.  He moved over to Starr and was about to kiss her.  When he saw Todd looking in every direction but at them, he lightly grazed her lips, still unsure of Todd’s reaction.  “I’ll see you when you get back?”

“Yes.  I’m sorry I can’t be there for you,” she said.

“No, this is important for your family.  I know in my heart you’ll be with me,” Michael replied.  “I’ll call you when we get back to Port Charles.”  With that, Michael, Molly, Dillon and Sarah left.

The Manning kids said their goodbyes to Viki, Clint, Cord and Tina, then decided to wait in the car for their parents. After the door closed on them, Todd turned to his sisters.  Eying them both and their husbands, he snarked to Blair, “Great, the cowboys are back in the family.” 

“It’s wonderful to be related to you again too, Todd,” Clint gave right back.  “Thank god it’s only by marriage.”  With that, he and Cord left and Blair and Tina followed.

Todd turned to Viki.  “I’ll see you in a few weeks then, right?”

“Yes, we’ll be there for the Nurses Ball,” she confirmed, hugging him.  “Blair mentioned she will be performing, Will you too as well?”

“Come on, sis.  This is me.  I have no musical talent, just one for writing checks.”

“Well, it was just a thought.  When you get back from Chicago, call me, let me know.  I worry about you, sometimes more than my own kids.”

“Yeah, I guess I can do that, sis,” Todd offered.  He gave her a peck on the cheek, then, in the foyer, offered the same to Tina and a handshake to Clint and Cord.  He took Blair hand and headed out to the car.    

The Manning family arrived at the airport and boarded the plane.  As it took off, they relax.  Todd caught up on work, Blair sat back and read a book, and Starr and Jack played card games with Sam. 

As Todd reached into his briefcase for some papers, he came upon the legal papers Lansing had drawn up for him.  Blair noticed him reading them over and took his hand.  “What are you thinking about?”

“Friday night, when we were talking about our screwed-up family, my mind just wandered off.  I was thinking about the old man and then this picture I saw of him melted and he became Peter,” Todd explained.  “What was freaky was that Victor knew exactly what I was thinking about.”

“Well, he still has your memories, as far as I can tell,” Blair replied.  She took a minute than decided to broach the subject he avoided the night before.  “Before the wedding, I called Damian Spinelli and had him do a check on something for me.  He called me back while we were at the reception.”

“This was the time you wandered off.  What did you want him to look into?” Todd asked, a hint of fear in his voice. 

Taking a deep breath, Blair explained, “He found a number of articles from local Chicago papers about the fact you were in a piano recital when you were about seven.  In fact, you were basically the star.”

Todd face crinkled in confusion.  “Me?  I never touched a piano in my life.”

Blair reached for her tablet and brought up the e-mail from Spinelli.  “This is what he found,” she said as she handed it over to Todd. 

He read the article and closed his eyes, looking as is he was trying to remember.  After a few moments, Jack realized his parents were very quiet and he got Starr’s attention.  “What’s going on?”

Starr shook her head and called over, “Dad, is something wrong?”  Blair shook her head slightly as she turned to her daughter , who came over to their seat.  Jack handed Sam his computer and set a game up on it before he joined his parents and sister.   They were gathered around Todd, but he still hadn’t answered.

“Todd, are you alright?”  Blair was growing concerned with how pensive he was.  She was about to call his name again when he opened his eyes. 

He turned to Blair, who watched expectantly.  Then he shook his head.  “I don’t remember.”  His voice was barely a whisper as he looked back at the article on the screen.  There was a picture that accompanied the piece and it showed a seven-year-old Todd Manning sitting at the grand piano with a brilliant smile on his face.

“How can you not remember?” Jack asked with confusion.  “There’s a picture right here.”

Blair shook her head, quieting her son.  Then she turned back to Todd.  “Are you alright?”

Before he could answer, the pilot notified them they were about to land in Chicago.  When the plane touched down. Todd moved off wordless, concerning his family even further.  The car took them to the Chicago Marriott Downtown and they checked into their suite. 

But for the rest of the night, Todd didn’t say a word.  He was too lost in himself, trying to reclaim a memory that continued to elude him. 


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!