WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 39

        John got off the phone with his CIA contacts.  They hadn’t been able to find Baker, and Calmar was in the field on some mission, according to them.  Thinking of Calmar brought John’s thoughts back to Tomas.  Blair told him she last saw Tomas in Llanview before getting on the plane for Port Charles.  He placed his next call.  “Tea, I’m trying to reach Tomas.  Is he around?”

        “Hi, John.  I’m afraid not.  He’s away on some mission.  I didn’t actually speak to him, he left me a note.” Tea said curtly.

        John heard the anger in Tea’s voice, she wasn’t too happy with her brother at the moment.  “Did he give you any idea where he was headed?”

       “John, you know as well as I do, if it’s for the government, he’s not going to tell me anything.  I’m sorry, I’m just upset.  I tried calling Blair right after he left and she’s nowhere to be found.”

       “That’s alright.  I know you’re still getting over the loss of the baby.  I’ll try and get something out of his superiors.”

       “Why are you so intent on reaching Tomas? What is this all about?”

       “It’s nothing you need to worry about.  I was just hoping to get some more information from Tomas about the rogue organization that held Todd.”

       Tea sat up straighter in her chair at the mention of Todd.  “After what Todd did to Tomas, I’m not sure Tomas would be too willing to share anything.  Why would you be looking into that organization?  I thought when you got Irene, it fell apart.”

       John sighed. “Someone tried to kill Todd.”

       Tea didn’t say anything at first.  Her last encounter with Todd hadn’t gone well and shortly after seeing him she had gone into labor and lost the baby.   Anger rose in her as she thought about the loss of Victor, and now her child, all because Todd Manning had come home.  The part in her that had loved Todd for so long had shriveled and died with the death of Victor.  “The whole world would be better off if they succeeded.  He’s a blight that needs to be eradicated.”

       John felt sorry for Tea.  She was extremely bitter and he couldn’t really blame her.  She had lost a great deal because of Todd.  He wasn’t sure she would even listen if he told her he was having second thoughts about Todd’s guilt in Victor’s death.  “I don’t blame you for feeling that way.  I still have a job to do.  I need to stop the person or persons trying to kill Todd.  I’m sorry I just made you more upset.  I was hoping Tomas would be able to shed more light on Irene’s operation.  I’ll let you go.  If you hear from Tomas, would you please let me know.”  Tea’s silence told him she wouldn’t be calling.  He ended the call.  Of course, he really didn’t expect Tomas to get in touch with her either. CIA operatives were very secretive.

      Tea put the phone down and looked at the note her brother had left her. “Tomas, where are you?”

****

      Starr arrived back at the Metro-Court with Sam in tow.  “Do you have your room key, Sam?”

      Sam reached into his pocket and drew out the card key.  “Yep.  Grandma made sure we all had keys.”

     “Well, let’s go up, it will be dinner soon.  I’m anxious to see Grandma and Jack, and I’m sure they’re wondering why you’re not back yet.”  Before they reached the elevator they were intercepted by Carly.

     “Starr, I’ve been trying to reach Michael since yesterday.  The last time I saw him, you and he were headed to Johnny’s.  Have you seen him?   Did John find your father?  Michael called me about him, but then I never heard back from him,”

     “Yes, Carly, we found my father.  Michael has been with me, it was touch and go there for a while with my dad.  He only left me a little while ago.  I think he turned off his phone to save battery.  He’s fine, and I don’t know what I would have done if he hadn’t been with me.   He helped save my dad’s life.”  Starr’s voice broke a little bit with emotion as she again recalled the events. She felt the worry, for her dad, come back in force.

     Carly hadn’t realized Todd’s illness had been so serious.  Before she could reply, Sam spoke up.

     “Someone tried to kill him.  I just saw him at the hospital.  He’s better now,” he said looking up at Carly.

     Carly looked puzzled.  “Oh, I’m glad to hear he’s better.”  She didn’t recognize the little boy but figured he must be family since he was with Starr.

     Sam’s little comment gave Starr time to get herself back together.“This is my little brother, Sam.  He came in last night with my grandmother and my brother, Jack.  You should keep trying to reach Michael.  He might have his phone back on by now.  If you’ll excuse us.”   She pulled Sam toward the elevator before he could say anything else.  She wanted to see her family now more than ever.

      Jack looked up as the door to the suite opened.  “Well, it’s about time.  Mom said you would come, but I expected you a while ago.  What happened, couldn’t tear yourself away from our poor sick father?”

      Sam looked at his sister, grimacing. “See, I told you he was being a jerk.”  He didn’t stick around but headed to his room to watch some TV.

      Starr frowned, “I’m glad to see you too, Jack.”  Addie walked out of her room before Starr could say anything else, and she went to give her grandmother a hug.  “Grandma, I’m so glad to see you.”  The hug from her grandmother was all it took, Starr lost control and started crying.  She had been keeping it all bottled up.

     “Oh Starr, honey, what’s the matter?”  Addie held her.

     Jack looked over at his sister.  He was shocked.  Starr usually kept her emotions under wraps.

     “Oh Grandma, he was so pale and silent when Michael pulled him from the water.   I thought he was gone.  Then he almost died again at the hospital.”  She gulped as she tried to bring her sobs under control.  “I just got him back.  He came here after he was freed, so he could support me, and I just took him for granted.”

     She was shaking and Addie led her to the couch.  “Shh, that’s understandable.  He’s your father.  Naturally, you’re upset because it was so serious.  But he’s on the mend now.” She reached and soothingly moved Starr’s hair out of her eyes and behind her ear.  “You’re feeling guilty, wondering why you didn’t let him know how much he really meant to you.”  Starr nodded and brushed the tears from her eyes.  “Don’t do that Starr, Todd would never want you to feel that way.  He knows you love him and he loves both you and Jack.”

    “Yeah right, that’s why he gave me away.” Jack snapped.

     Addie turned to her grandson.  “He was very wrong for what he did when you were a baby, but he didn’t know you were his.  As soon as he found out, he went to find you.” The tone of her voice was sharper than she intended because she was frustrated.  She had been trying to get through to her grandson ever since Todd had returned.  She had seen a change in Todd with his return.  “Your father isn’t easy to understand.  He loves deeply, he just doesn’t show it the way other people do.  He’s been trying harder since he returned.  I know he went through something bad during those eight years.  It’s in his eyes, they’re haunted.”

     Starr and Jack were both dumbfounded.  They had never heard their grandmother speak that way about anyone.

****

    Todd woke up to find Blair dozing in the chair next to him.  He was feeling a little more normal.  He chuckled softly to himself. Had he ever been normal?  The sound caused Blair to awaken.  Todd smiled as their eyes met. “Hi, Blair.  I guess we both were tired.  I’m sorry about all this.”

     “Hey, you didn’t ask to get shot.  How long have you been awake?” Blair sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

     “Not long.  Do you think they’ve got the results of that blood test?  I really need to get out of here.”  The walls were beginning to close in on him and the antiseptic smell of the place was turning his stomach.

     “We should hear something soon.  Todd, maybe you should stay at least another day.  You almost died.”

      “We talked about this.  I can’t.  Look I’m feeling pretty good right now.  My head’s clearer than it’s been in days.  The fever’s gone.  Why would I want to stay?  I know you’re worried about the lesions, but there’s no proof they’re doing anything.  You promised, Blair.  You said if the drug from the bullet has been cleared out of my system, we would leave.  I’m holding you to that.”

      Blair rose to get closer to Todd as Liz Webber and Dr. Steve Webber entered the room. “I hope you’re bringing him the results of the blood test.”

     Steve nodded.  “According to the lab, it appears the hallucinogen is out of your system, Mr. Manning, but my sister tells me you adamantly turned down the surgery.  I really think you should reconsider.  Your headaches are likely to get more severe the longer we wait.”

     “Hey, I appreciate all you’ve done.  You got me over this Malaria thing and all, but it’s like I told Dr. Drake.  None of you knows for sure those things are causing my headaches and I’ll go crazy if I have to stay in this place much longer.  So do me a favor.  Write up some discharge papers so I can leave.  If you don’t I’ll sign myself out.  Either way, I’m gone.”

      Steve looked over at Blair and she shook her head indicating she hadn’t been able to change Todd’s mind.  “Very well,  I’ll release you if you can show me you are able to stand on your own two feet and leave.  I don’t think you’ll be able to.  Even if you don’t have the surgery I believe you should stay another night to recuperate from the trauma your body has been through the last two days.”

      Blair groaned quietly.  Giving Todd an ultimatum was like raising a red flag in front of a bull.  She had seen him leave a hospital one day after being stabbed, once Todd made up his mind to do something, he did it and the rest of the world better get out of his way. She watched as Todd proved her point.

      Todd swung his legs off the bed.  He stood and paused only long enough to make sure his legs would hold him and then he walked up to Dr. Webber. Standing every inch of his six feet, he looked down at Dr. Webber. “Sign the damn discharge papers.”

      For a man who had been at death’s door just that morning, Dr. Webber found him extremely intimidating at that moment.  He marveled that Todd wasn’t even swaying.  The man was determined to leave.  Dr. Webber took a step back and nodded. “Very well.  Please, don’t wait too long to do something about ….”

     “I know Doc, the lesions.  They’re not going anywhere, are they?  I promise to get back to you if the headaches get out of hand.” He turned to Liz Webber, “Get this thing out of my arm.”

     Dr. Webber left to finish his paperwork and Liz gestured for Todd to sit back down.  Then she went to get the supplies to remove his IV.

     Watching Liz work, Blair suddenly realized Todd had nothing to wear.   “Nurse Webber, would it be possible to get a set of scrubs for Todd to wear?“

     Todd looked at her curiously.  “What happened to my suit?”

     Liz spoke up.  “It was ruined by the lake water and torn where you got caught under the docks.  The paramedics also did a number on your shirt since they had to resuscitate you.”

     “Great a custom-made suit down the drain.  I suppose my Italian leather shoes are also gone?”

      Liz nodded.

      “Serves you right,  that will teach you to not go walking too close to a lake when you’re delirious with fever,” Blair said pointedly.

      Todd glanced over at Blair.  He was going to have to work hard to make up for scaring her.  She deserved someone better than him, but he couldn’t let her go.  He made a mental note to schedule another session with Kevin Collins as soon as possible.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!