WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 37

          Jack turned off the tv and went in search of his grandmother. He knocked on her door and when he didn’t get an answer, he opened it a crack and peeked in. She was asleep. Grabbing the card key to the room, Jack left.  He spent a small amount of time in the arcade and then bored decided to head out of the hotel and see some of the city. Standing outside the hotel, Jack looked around.  He was hungry. “There’s has to be someplace in this town where I can get a decent hamburger.” He began walking, looking around and thinking about the stuff his mother had told him about his father.

         “Damn it!” He kicked the concrete pebble from the sidewalk in front of him and started following it down the block. “It’s not fair. You gave me away, why should I feel sorry for you?” He kept seeing his mother with tears in her eyes. Someone tried to kill your dad...he almost died. He was so deep in thought he walked right into somebody. “Oh, I’m sorry.” He found himself looking into a pair of sparkling brown eyes lit up by the smile on the girl’s face.

         It’s not your fault. I had my head in my book. I should have been paying more attention to where I was walking. Usually, there aren’t a lot of people who take walks in this town.”

          Jack was intrigued. She looked to be close to his age with long dark brown hair to match her eyes. “What do you mean, about people not taking walks in this town?”

           Molly Lansing looked at the young man standing in front of her. His question told her all she needed to know. “You’re not from around here, are you? Don’t you know? This town is run by the mob. You never know when there’s going to be a drive-by shooting.”

           She said it so matter-of-factly as if it was a daily occurrence. “You have to be kidding.” He looked at her shocked and then saw the corners of her mouth tilt up. “You are! You’re pulling my leg.”

           Molly giggled. “Yes, I’m kidding, at least about the drive-by shootings. Not so much about the mob.”

“My mom told me something about this town. I just thought she was telling me some far-out story just to get me to come here.”

           “If you listen to the police in this town, my Uncle runs everything. He’s like the town Godfather and his name is Sonny Corinthos. I couldn’t help having a little fun. Hi, My name is Molly Lansing. My father is Sonny’s brother.” She held out her hand to shake.

           Jack took her small hand. It was soft, yet she had a firm grip. “Hi. My name is Jack, Jack Manning.”

            He was taller than she was and really good-looking, but he seemed a little sad. When she heard his name, it surprised her. “You wouldn’t be related to Starr Manning, would you?”

           Jack pulled his hand back quickly. “She’s my sister.” He saw Molly’s face and knew she was about to offer some sympathy. Right now the last thing he needed or wanted to talk about was Starr and his niece. “How do you know her?”

          Molly watched the emotions race across Jack’s face. Surprise then sorrow then something akin to anger. He looked really uncomfortable. She knew that look. It was the same look Kristina wore whenever Molly wanted to talk about Uncle Sonny. Jack appeared ready to turn and run. She needed to change the subject. “I don’t but my cousin does. I don’t know where you were headed but since I almost ran you down maybe you’d like to get a soda or something, on me. You look like you could use someone to talk to. I’m a pretty good listener.”

          Jack felt some of the tension leave his body. She wasn’t going to say any more about Starr. “Well, I was trying to find someplace other than the Metro Court to eat. That restaurant is just a little too fancy for my tastes, and breakfast was a long time ago.”

           “I know just the place. It’s a couple more blocks away. It’s called Kelly’s and has been around a long time. They serve great hamburgers and fries. Would you like to try there?”

           “Do you think it’s safe to walk there?’

            Molly looked over at him puzzled. “Sure, why not?”

            “Well someone told me you had to be careful of drive-by shootings in this town,” he said with a straight face and looking around suspiciously. He watched for her reaction out of the side of his eyes and was rewarded when she laughed and punched him lightly in the arm.

            “Oh, you’re quick, Jack Manning. Come on, Kelly’s is this direction,” she held out her hand. They had gone about a block when a limousine passed them and pulled up to an apartment complex. Curious, they stopped and watched as the inhabitant of the car exited.

             Jack’s eyes widened as he watched the man walk up the steps to the brownstone. The man wasn’t paying much attention to his surroundings so he didn’t see them watching him. “What the hell! What’s he doing up here?”

            “What’s the matter? Do you know that man?” asked Molly.

            “I think so, but I’ve never seen him dress like that. It couldn’t be the guy I’m thinking about. The last time I saw him he was in Llanview. But...”

            “You’re not sure. Why would it bother you, if the guy you know, is up here?”

             “It’s just strange. I found out some things about him yesterday. Not very nice things. I just don’t trust the guy. Do you know anybody who might live in that brownstone?”

           “I don’t think so, but now that you ask, the location is familiar. I think my cousin Michael said Johnny Zacchara might live in this area of town.”

            “Who’s that?”

             “He’s a rival of my uncle’s.”

             “You mean he’s in the mob, too?”

              “Well, his grandfather was? But he’s been missing for a while. Johnny says he wants out of the business. It is unusual to see a limo pulling up in this neighborhood. Maybe that guy is going to see Johnny?”

             “You sure know an awful lot about some weird mob things.”

              “Yeah, it comes with being a lawyer’s daughter and a mobster’s niece. Besides, my cousin’s mom is dating Johnny. It’s a small town. Everyone knows everybody else. Do you want to hang around here and see if the guy comes back out?”

             “Nah. It couldn’t be the same guy. The man I know would only be up here for one reason, to get my mom. He also doesn’t have money for limos. I guess I just have him on the brain right now. I’m hungry where did you say the place was?”

             “It’s another block up and around the corner. Come on.” Molly began walking again.

              Jack caught up with her and matched her stride. When they rounded the corner. He saw a quaint diner. “Hey, this is pretty cool, kind of like my aunt’s kitchen.” His mouth started to water at the smells coming from the back. “What do you want to drink.”

****

            Johnny opened the door to a man he had never seen before. “Who the hell are you?”

            Tomas smiled. “I’m the man who’s going to help you get rid of that albatross around your neck. I’m here to take over your grandfather’s territory and you’re going to let me.”

            “Why should I do that?”

             “Because I know you killed your grandfather. I watched the whole thing take place outside the Quartermaine Boathouse. I saw you shoot him down, like the dog he was, and then place his body in the boathouse to frame his wife.” Tomas’ eyes never left Johnny’s.

            The conditioning had done its job and Johnny paled as he remembered the shooting as it had been drilled into his head. He saw himself firing several bullets into his grandfather and seeing the body fall. Even now he could see his grandfather smirking behind the stranger. The old man was haunting him. “I see, so you’re here to what? Turn me into the police.”

            “The name is Lorenzo Alcazar, and I just want back what your grandfather stole from me. As I hear it, you want out of the business anyway. You want to just be an honest schmoe. This is your chance. Turn the working of the Zachara family over to me and mine and you can enjoy becoming a regular Joe. I’ll keep my mouth shut, should they find your grandfather’s body. I’m feeling generous. I won’t leave you without a dime. I’ll give you a sizable severance package to help you leave the mob. You can use the money to buy a legitimate property.”

            “You’re a fool, Johnny. If you give up the reins to the Zacchara territory, you’re giving up everything I worked for.”

             Anthony’s voice grated in Johnny’s ears. He turned his back on Alcazar and muttered under his breath. “You’re dead old man, and I can do as I damn well please. You have no power here anymore.” Suddenly his grandfather was directly in front of him.

            “Never believe for one moment that I’ll ever be gone. Don’t let him do this. You’re giving up wealth and the power just to ease your conscience. You can’t bring back those kids. You had a plan to take me out and it went wrong, live with it and move on. You didn’t let their deaths stop you from killing me. If you can do that you can rule this family. Don’t sell out now.”

             Tomas stood there quietly observing. Johnny had gotten a glazed look in his eyes after he had made the offer. Calmar was right. Zacchara had lost it. He was carrying on a conversation with his dead grandfather and had completely forgotten Tomas was in the room. This was excellent, from the words Johnny was saying, it was clear he was leaning toward selling out the territory. Strike now while he’s confused. “I need your answer. It would be a simple thing to make a phone call. I’m sure the PCPD would like to know who killed Anthony Zacchara.”

             Johnny heard Alcazar and reached into his desk drawer. He pulled his gun out and turned it on his guest. “I already killed my grandfather. What’s to stop me from killing you?”

             “Johnny, no need to get violent. If I don’t call my lawyer within the next half hour he has orders to send my signed and notarized affidavit to the police detailing everything I saw the night of the murder. You will still go down for the murder. Let me assure you, I simply want back the territory, it’s a win-win for both of us. You get out of the mob and leave all that baggage behind, and I get control of a powerful organization that will help me bring down Corinthos and Morgan. After today, we never have to see each other again.”

Johnny lowered his gun. “Very well, I’ll turn everything over to you for an agreed-upon price. Once the money is in my offshore account, I’ll make a few calls and your new lieutenants will be ready to receive their orders. I want twenty million. That’s non-negotiable. The drug trade alone will bring in three times that in a month. Are we in agreement?” Johnny looked past Alcazar and watched his grandfather disappear. For the time being, he had banished his ghost.

           Tomas wasn’t happy with the amount but knew Flynn would authorize it. He was obsessed with getting back the territory and all that went with the organization. He also would agree with Zacchara about the drugs. The flow of drug money would more than make up for the initial payment. “It’s a deal.” Tomas pulled out his cell phone and made a quick call and texted the amount he would need, to Calmar. A couple of minutes later he received approval for the transfer. “If you’ll tell me where to make the transfer we can be finished with our business shortly.”

           Johnny handed him the electronic bank number. As soon as the funds reached the bank, they would immediately be transferred to a second account known only to Johnny. He knew quite well how to easily it would be for the opposition to try and make an end-run on the original drop and retrieve their money once they had the organization in their hands. After about ten minutes Johnny’s phone rang. He answered, nodded, and began dialing his lieutenants

****

           Jack and Molly had spent the time over their meal finding out about each other’s dysfunctional families. “You’re telling me, your older sister is Sonny Corinthos’ daughter. So that means you have blood ties to both your father and your uncle. That sounds as convoluted as my family. It seems half the town of Llanview is related to me and my sister. I guess you must feel that way here. So Michael Corinthos is your cousin, and he’s the guy who tried to help my niece and her dad the day of the accident.”

           “Yes. He felt really bad that he wasn’t able to stop the car from going over the cliff. Oh, here he comes now. I’ll introduce you. Michael, over here.”

            Michael looked over and found his cousin sitting with a young man he didn’t recognize. He started over to her table. “Molly, does Alexis know you’re having lunch with a stranger.”

           “Michael, he’s not a stranger, although he is new to town. We introduced ourselves after we bumped into each other on the street. Besides, he’s related to someone you know.”

           Michael sat down and turned his sharp eyes on Jack. “Who would that be?”

          Jack stared back directly into Michael's eyes sizing him up, the same way he knew Michael was doing with him. He wasn’t sure if he liked the way the guy was all over Molly, she hadn’t done anything wrong. “My sister,” he replied abruptly.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!