WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Devil You Know: Chapter 14


Blair hurried into the elevator at the Manning Building and waited impatiently for it reach the floor with the publisher’s office.  When the doors did open, she looked around and found Todd leaning against the wall, staring daggers at the door marked ‘Victor Lord, Jr., Publisher’.

Seeing her approach, he said, “See, I was a good boy and waited for you.”

“For your information, I wasn’t actually worried you’d push him out the window,” Blair said.  Nodding to the cane, she added, “Your still not that steady on your feet with that.”

She was about to knock on the door when Todd pushed his way past her.  “You wanted to see me, I’m here,” he declared when he saw his brother.

Victor looked up from his desk.  “I see you brought your lapdog,” he added, his eyebrow raised.

Blair merely rolled her eyes and said, “Don’t even start, or he’ll need to hold me back from killing you.”

“Missed you too,” Victor snickered.

“So, how’s my paper doing?” Todd asked, taking a seat in front of the desk.

“Ah, we have a legal agreement--”

“Yeah, yeah, just wanted to test you.  You have controlling interest--”

“Because you gave it to me.  Or do you want to renege on our deal.  If you, I will sue your ass do fast--”

“Why did you call me here, Victor?”  Todd asked in his best annoyed tone of voice.

Victor handed him folds with facts and figures.  “Just wanted to show you how your investment is doing.  Circulation is up another fifteen percent since you last paid attention to it--”

“I had other business to attend to, like my daughter,” Todd interjected.

“We’re still outpacing The Banner--” Victor informed him.

“We’ve been outpacing them since, like, the second week we started here.” 

Victor huffed again.  “Look, our agreement was we kept each other informed about business.  Now, you got anything for me, brother?” 

“I just came here for a family holiday and my sister’s wedding.  I left all my work in my office in Port Charles.  If you insist, I’ll have my assistant email it all to you,” Todd replied.

“Yes, Todd, I insist.”

“Fine.”  With that, Todd pulled out his phone and dialed a number.  “Maxie?  Yeah sorry I had to bother you, since I gave you the day off.  My brother insists he needs the updated numbers so can you email them to him?”  He paused then covered the speaker with his hand.  “She’s looking for it now.”  He turned his attention back to the other end of the line.  “Yes, that’s the file.  I know how many pages it is.  Don’t yell at me, he insisted!  It’s really not that difficult.  Yes, you’ll find his email address listed as ‘That SOB’.  No, that’s how I refer to him.  You got it?  Good and wish your family a Happy Thanksgiving.”  With that, the call ended.  “You owe my assistant a nice overtime check.”

“Yeah, it’s in the mail,” Victor retorted snidely. 

“Well, if that concludes our business, see you tomorrow,” Todd replied as he rose from the chair.

“Wait,” Victor said as he too got up.  Nodding to the cane, he asked with a measure of sincerity, “How’s your back?”

“Well, I am now a human barometer,” Todd cracked.  Then, returning the sentiment, he said.  “It still acts up, but I’ve lessened the PT sessions.”  Holding  up the object in his hand, he added, “Carly felt I should be alright with this and it won’t look as awkward in the wedding photos.  How’s Leo and Danie?”

“He’s doing good, gotten so big.  And Danie’s having the time of her life at Columbia.  In fact, she should be home by now,” he said, looking at his watch.  “How’s Sam?”

It was Blair who answered.  “He love it there.  He’s got a best friend, Cameron Webber and they talk about superheroes bout ninety percent of the time.  And right now, he’s hanging out with Jack and his friend Molly and her cousin, Nikolas Cassadine.  Nikolas has a son who’s also Sam’s age and Jack and Molly thought the boy could use a friend.  Seems his dad’s overprotective and he doesn’t really have a lot of friends his age.”  When her phone buzzed, she noticed a text message from Jack.  “That’s them now.  I’d better get back over to the Palace.”  With that, she made her way to the office door. 

Todd followed, but hung back for a minute.  “Guess I’ll see you at Viki’s tomorrow.  Don’t touch the wings,” he threatened in a joking manner.

“Yeah, well, I     always preferred the breast meat myself,” Victor yelled as the door closed.

As they waited for the elevator, Todd shook his head.  “I still can’t believe we’re supposed to be identical twins.”

The elevator arrived and Blair asked as it descended, “Where were you when you called?”

He got strangely quiet before he answered.  “Starr needed to go to the cemetery and I wanted to go with her, since I couldn’t be there when…”  He took a deep breath before he continued.  “I also met Larry Wolek at Merrie’s grave,”

Blair leaned into him, putting her arm around his shoulders.  She could see the emotions playing across his face.  “You okay?”

“I wasn’t there for my little girl when she needed me the most.  I had to go do a stupid thing--”

“Hey, it wasn’t stupid.  She needed you and damned if anything was going to stop you,” Blair tried to comfort him.

“You did.  You stopped me,” he reminded her.  She looked down at the floor, ashamed after all these months.  “Hey, I don’t blame you.  You thought you need to protect her and that’s what you were doing.  If the roles were reversed…I would probably still let you see her,” he admitted.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.  “I’m sorry for stopping you.”

“Well you really didn’t,” he told her, a smirk crossing his face. 

“Nothing would stop Todd Manning from being where he was needed,” she said, taking his hand.  The elevator arrived at the lobby and they exited together, holding hands.  Todd told the driver to be on call and he got in the car with Blair, who drove them over to the Palace.  Once there, the made there way to the restaurant.

Jack noticed his parents and went over to them.  “Is everything okay?” he asked, noting his parents’ faces.

“Yes, Jack, we just came from a meeting with Victor,” Blair explained. 

She expected her son to comment about him wanting to joint them, to visit with the man he had thought of as his father, but instead, Jack told then, “I spoke to Aunt Viki and she gave me the okay to invite Molly’s cousin and his son for dinner tomorrow.”  He looked back at the table and smiled as he saw Sam and Spencer talking up a storm.  “I kind of feel bad that Molly’s away from her family and now that there’s some of her family in town unexpectedly…”

“That’s a nice thought Jack,” Todd said, patting his son on the shoulder offering reassurance. 

Blair smiled at him proudly.  This was the son she remembered as a boy, sensitive and kindhearted.  “That’s very sweet,” she repeated.

The Mannings headed over to the table and were greeted by Molly’s smile.  “Hello Mr. Manning.  I don’t believe you’ve met my cousin, Nikolas Cassadine.  Nikolas, this is Jack’s dad, Todd Manning.”

Nikolas stood up and shook Todd’s hand.  As Todd went to sit down, Sam informed him, “Spencer’s a prince!”

Todd smiled at Sam as he gave Nikolas a sidelong glance.  “Yeah, well you tell him you’re a Lord.”

“He is?” Spencer asked, but Nikolas, having heard about Sam’s family from Molly, got the joke and chuckled.

Todd turned his attention back to Nikolas.  “My son tells me you’ll be joining us for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.”

“Yes, Jack called I’m guessing your sister and she said we were more than welcome to join you,” Nikolas replied. 

“Well, that’s Viki for you,” he said.

“What’s Viki for you?” a voice asked. 

Todd turned around and was met by his niece Jessica.  “Hey, Jess.”  He pointed at the others at the table.  “We were just discussing your mother’s at times overly generous nature.”  He noticed Bree and Ryder on either side of their mother.  “Hey, guys.”

As both offered sheepish smiles, Jess prodded them,  “You going to say hi to your Uncle Todd?”  Then she noticed the man sitting there with them.  “Oh, I’m sorry.  I seem to be interrupting…”

“No, actually, you’re not,” Molly said, rising to her feet.  With a smile on her face, she took what she saw as an opportunity to introduce two people she knew were single with small children.   “This is my cousin, Nikolas Cassadine.  Nikolas, this is Jack‘s cousin Jessica Brennan and her children, Bree and Ryder.”

“As in Helena Cassadine?” Jessica asked.

Nikolas let out a sigh.  “I am guessing she’s become known around this town as well.  Yes, Helena Cassadine is my grandmother,” he said as he kissed her hand.  He did not fail to notice the glare he was getting from Todd.

“Well, if she hadn’t kidnapped my aunt and cousin, I would know her from the trial I’ve been covering for the Sun,” she said as she glanced at her watch.  “Oh, I’m going to be late.  I have some last minute plans to finalize with Renee for Saturday.”  She took her children’s hands.  “It was nice to meet you, Mr. Cassadine.”

“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Brennan,” Nikolas replied as she left.  He took his seat again when he saw Todd still giving him the same look.  “Have I done something wrong, Mr. Manning?”

Todd pursed his lips and shook his head.  “No, you were a perfect gentleman to my niece…who I am very protective of.  As is her gun-wielding Texan of a father.”

“Todd!” Blair cautioned.  “Please forgive Todd.  He like to tease like that, right Todd?”

“Yeah, right.  Anyway, we need to get going.  We’ll see you tomorrow and I’ll introduce you to all the Buchanan men and their rifle collection,” he said as the Mannings gathered to leave.  Sam and Spencer said their goodbyes and Molly gave Nikolas a hug.  As they left the table, Todd flashed one last smile at Nikolas, hoping to scare him at least a little bit, from any interest in Jessica.  Nikolas just return an enigmatic smile back to him.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!