WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, November 25, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 52

Early the next day, the family was up getting ready for the big day.  Sam's day of adoption hearing had arrived, and everyone scrambled to be ready.  Jack had his best suit, as did Todd, and Little Sam got his first suit for the occasion.  They all stood, in a row, for Blair's inspection.  They looked like three matching dolls.  She said, "I am not sure which one is the most handsome!"

Sam said, "Me!" and slapped Jack's thigh, causing him to try and grab him.

Jack said, "You little rugrat, I'll make mincemeat out of ya!"

Todd lifted an eyebrow and said, "They still say that?"

Sam, running away from Jack, said, "No, he got it off a cartoon."

Blair said, "No running in your good clothes."  The two boys settled down, and sat for breakfast.

"Since you got dressed first, take your suitcoats off, and put a bib on."  She looked at Todd, "All three of you."

Little Ray was in his carrier.  Blair had purchased a teeny suit-like onesie for him to wear.  It had an artificial tie.  All four of the Manning men were in matching colors: a dark suit, with a patterned tie, and a white shirt.

When all of their bibs were on, Blair served their breakfast.  She was not dressed, but had everything ready to just slip her navy and white dress on.

"We're going to look so cool at my dock-shun."  Sam said.  "Everyone will know we're a family, right Mom?"

"Right, Little Man."

"I thought I was big now, because we have Little Ray.  Besides, Mom, where did he come from again?"

"Sam, you know, he was inside my tummy, remember?"

"Yeah, but, how did he get there?"

"Okay!"  Todd interrupted, "We're playing the quiet game.  Ready?"

Jack burst out laughing and almost sprayed orange juice at his father.  Todd responded by taking a napkin, balling it up, and throwing it at Jack's head.  When he ducked, the napkin landed in Little Ray's carrier, on his lap, as if he caught it and he immediately picked it up and threw it onto the floor.

"Are you determined, all of you, to make a mess?"  She said, picking it up.

"Come on, you love your four boys."  Todd chided her.

"Yeah, but not cleaning up after them."

"Mom's right.  Let's all clean up our mess and let her go get ready.  Let's go, boys."  Todd said.

Sam said, "Mom, I love you."  he hugged her legs.  "Thanks for docking me."

"You're welcome, Sam."

"Dad?"

"Yeah, Sam."

"Same thing, thanks for my dock-shun."

"Look Sam, a-dop-shun," Jack tried.

Sam put his hands on his hips and said, "I said that already!"

Blair felt her heart swell, as she watched them bantering about the kitchen, Todd stopping to smile at Little Ray, and them all cleaning up, before going to their suit jackets and putting them back on.  With a wistful feeling that she could not quite identify as love, bittersweetness, or gratefulness, or a combination of all three, she ascended the stairs to get her court clothes on.

***

When Todd and Blair and their boys arrived at the courthouse, they were met by Starr in the lobby, who was holding Hope's hand, and Addie, who was smiling.  "Good morning, Todd," Addie said, kissing his cheek.

"Addie," he said, hugging her, "Big day."

"I know, for you and my beautiful girl and my Sam."

Blair had an uneasy feeling when she saw the courtroom door.  It happened to be the same courtroom where the shooting took place, and claimed the life of Sommer.  Todd also noticed, and he said, "Are you going to be all right?"

"Yes," she cleared her throat, "yes.  This is for Sam."

He nodded, and the family proceeded into the court.  When entering, Sister Rebecca Katherine was there, and Timothy was already present and accounted for at the front table.  Todd, Sam and Blair went to the table, while Addie, the nun, Starr, Jack, Hope and Little Ray sat in the spectator's area.  Sister Rebecca Katherine whispered, "Jack, ya look like a pretty boy in that suit, I'll kick your tail later, eh?"


When they sat at the table in the court, Sam looked up and said, "Grandpa, look, there's a pretty window up there.  The sun is coming in.  It looks like God."

Blair looked at Todd and her eyes misted over.  He took her hand and mouthed, "I love you."  He could feel her hand trembling.  She's never gotten over it.  Sommer.  She's never gotten past it.

Sam said, "Dad!  Can I change my name to Sam Spiderman Manning?  Please?"

"No, Sam, Spiderman keeps his identity secret, remember?"  Todd answered.

"Oh, yeah."

The judge took his place at the bench, and said his usual formal opening, then turned to The Mannings.  "Sam Manning?"

He stood up, "Yes judge."

The judge smirked, "Hello, Mr. Manning."

"Hi.  I want to get dock-ded.  Today, and no funny stuff."

The court erupted into laughter.  Todd leaned over, "You tell him!" he whispered.  Blair elbowed her husband.

"Why should you be, uh, dock-ded?"  the judge said.

"Because I love my Mommy and my Daddy.  They take good care of me.  Dad's a superhero and Mom's singing is the best, it makes my heart beat slower so I can sleep.  I never want to leave them.  Even though Dad says, when I grow up, I'll get my own house, I don't want to ever do anything like that."

Blair put her hand to her lips, and her eyes moistened with tears.  Todd put a strong hand on Sam's head, and the boy looked up to him and smiled.

The judge went through some papers, and then said, "Well, everything appears to be in order.  I see here the child's biological father is out of the country and has signed over parental rights to both of The Mannings, is that correct, counselor?"

Timothy stood, responding, "Yes, your honor."

"Sam, can I ask you another question?"  The judge asked.

"Yeah, okay.  Just as long as I get dock-ded by lunch."

Again laughter.  The judge said, "Do you know the difference between a truth and a lie?"

"Yes.  A truth is a good, and a lie is a bad."

"All right.  Which one is real?"

"Both, but the lie is a real trick, and a truth is a real thing."

The judge chuckled, and said, "Fine.  Sam, why are Todd and Blair going to adopt you?"

"Because they love me.  They want me.  My real Dad, he didn't want me."  Blair looked at Todd with tears in her eyes.  He kept his hand on his son's head.  Sam continued, "He was mean to me sometimes.  He didn't like me all that much.  But my Dad, he's a hero, he saved my mom.  He takes me places.  He plays with me, all the time, even when he's tired.  He's my best friend, but so is Grandpa."

"Grandpa?"

"Him."  he said, pointing to Timothy.

"Mr. Broderick, can you explain?"

"The boy calls me Grandpa, your honor, because, well, I feel like The Mannings are my family.  There's no crime in that."

"I've made my decision.  Sam Manning, you are now the child of Todd and Blair Manning.  You must listen to them, and love them, until you're big.  Do you understand?"

"Yay!  Yes Mr. Judge I do!"  he jumped on Todd, who picked him up and hugged him.  Sam squeezed his neck and then put his arms out to Blair, who let Todd continue to hold him, but hugged him just the same.

"I'm dock-ded, Jack!"  Sam yelled, and jumping down from Todd, ran to his brother.

Timothy lead the way from the table, and Todd and Blair lingered behind, her arm linked in his.  "Today's a big day for him." she said.

"And us.  Another kid.  Ours.  I like that." he said.

"It's amazing, really, how far we've come in so short a time."  she put her head on his shoulder as they walked.  They watched as their eldest children took the youngers by the hands and carrier and brought them to the limo.  

Blair turned back, looking into the courtroom, which was all but empty.

He said, "You okay?"

"As good as I can be, I think.  You've been nothing but perfect to me, Todd.  You've really helped.  But sometimes," her voice wavered, "I just . . . I miss my baby girl, Todd.  We never got to know her."

"I know," he said, watching her scan the room with her eyes. 

"I don't think I realized how . . . much it still hurts me."  She closed her eyes.  "This place, it . . . just makes me see it over again."  Her hand went to her belly without conscious thought.  "It's behind us, right?"

"Yeah, it's behind us.  That's why you're going to understand what I am going to do next.  All right?"

She was surprised.  "Okay.  But what do you mean?"

"Trust me, it's going to be fine."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!