WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 45

Carlo Hesser stood up, his nose pointing to the left, blood covering his face, and his arm placed carefully at his side.  His eyes did not leave Manning's face, as the policemen approached.  "I'll kill you," Todd said.


"Perfect.  Now I've received a public death threat from you, Mr. Manning.  Excellent," Carlo said, sounding as if he had a terrible cold.  "I suspect I'll need medical attention in the emergency room," he said, as they heard an ambulance drive up.


Patrick was still holding Todd back.  He said, "I heard you, Hesser, and you'll not get away with that, man."


John said, "What happened here?"


Patrick explained, "He purposely taunted Todd, speaking about Blair and the baby they lost."


John said, "Todd, I have to bring you down to the station, you know that."


Todd, whose demeanor had calmed, said, "I know.  It was worth every fucking second."


The policeman in front moved to cuff Todd, and John said, "Not necessary.  I've got him."  Leading Todd outside, John said, "You did it, this time.  What the heck were you thinking, Manning?"


Patrick, Marty and Sister Rebecca Katherine followed behind.  The nun said, "Todd, I'll see to Blair."


Patrick said, "I'll join you later, I've got to bring Margaret back to St. Anne's."


Sister Rebecca Katherine offered, "I can do that, she's going where I am going."


John said, "I'm not sure I can do that, Sister."


"Lieutenant, please, you know very well that Miss Saybrooke is wanting to get out as soon as possible.  She's not going to risk her future to escape and I've been told I have a mean right hook!"


Marty laughed lightly and said, "It's fine John, whatever you want."


John looked at Todd, and said, "All right.  Patrick, follow me, I'll see you there," and loaded Todd into the police car.


Marty went with Sister Rebecca Katherine, and Patrick to his car.  Todd sat, staring out the window.  He said, "Blair.  I've made it worse for her," then turning his head to John, "haven't I?"


John didn't answer, he just drove on.  Todd continued to look out the window as they drove to the precinct.


***


Tea was in the kitchen, making lunch for Daniella.  Isabella was asleep in her pack and play, between the kitchen and the family room.  Daniella said, "Mom, she is so cute."


"She is, Mija.  What is she doing?"


"Sleeping, what else?"


Daniella walked into the kitchen and sat at the table, waiting for her food.  She was interrupted by the appearance of Zeus at the archway.  She said, "Daddy!"  and got up to hug him.


"How was your rest?"  Tea asked.  He was still sore and moving slower than usual but healing well.


He loosened his embrace around Dani, and then turned to her, "Can you take your lunch outside, today?  It's beautiful out, and I have to talk to your mother."


Dani did as she was asked, no questions, and carted her juice and sandwich to the porch.


He said, "I'm going to testify.  I made a decision."


She faltered, saying, "Then pack your things, and get out."


"Do you really mean this?  Is that what you want?"


"No, you know it's not, but I can't do this to the girls, and what about me?  Huh?"  She shouted.


"This man, this father of mine, hid me away in an orphanage, removing me from my mother.  He left me there to rot, found me again when I was a young man, took advantage of my nothingness, used me, brainwashed me and tortured me, and held Todd Manning, against his will for eight years.  I love you, Tea.  I love you very much.  But I have to stand up and be counted.  I'm the only one who can put him away, for good.  That matters to me, and if you're going to ask me to put that aside, then I can't stay."


She looked into his eyes, and, tears streaming, said, "I don't think I've ever been prouder of you."


He was surprised, and smiled, "Prouder?"


"No.  I can't think of a time.  You're willing to risk everything for what's right.  I was wrong to ask you not to."  She walked to him, and put her arms around his neck and he took her mouth with his.


He wasted no time in pushing her back against the counter, and opening her blouse, wildly, until she said, "No, stop, Daniella is nearby."


He said, "All right, whatever you say."  He had his hands lifted as if he were in a hold-up.


She took one of them and held it and lead him to the staircase.


***


In John's office, Todd sat, waiting for the next step.  He looked at Patrick, who was absently playing with his car keys.  John said, "Well, Manning, you've gone and made it really hard for me to help you, today."


"You're not obligated to help me."


"Todd, ya let your feelings get away from ya, all the time.  Some things have not changed, man."  Patrick added.


Todd gulped and said, "Am I going to be in a cell, John?"  


He could see the terror in the man's eyes and said, "I'm trying to avoid that, Manning.  The only thing on your side right now is your PTSD and the atrocities perpetrated against you.  The fact that your child just died won't hurt either.  I just have to find the right lawyer to argue this to the judge."


"Oh brother, not this," Nora Buchanan said from the doorway, "This was your special case?"


Todd looked up, "Hey Nora, how ya doin?'"


She rolled her eyes.  "John, with all due respect, you called me here for this?"


"I believe you can help us, yes."


"You want me to help him?  What did he do?"


"Hesser made a crack about Blair and our baby.  I lost control and beat him to a pulp,"  Todd said.


"Oh, really?  You?"  Nora said, condescendingly.


"I thought you were over your doubts about Todd.  After his return last year, you seemed to soften up a bit about it.  I took a chance."  John reminded her.


She looked right at Todd and said, "Why in HELL should I do this?  Defending you before almost cost me my profession."


"I'm not the same man as that twenty-something kid who did what you know I did.  Blair just lost our baby, and she lost it because she was gunned down in a courtroom, that we feel was the doing of Carlo Hesser."  He saw Nora wince.  He continued, "Hesser's responsible for my torture and captivity for 8 years, and the second time this past summer, where I almost died.  He's the one who caused me this," he hiked up both cuffs to show his wrists, "And these," he grabbed his file off John's desk and handed it to her.


She opened the folder and her eyes widened.  Her voice became very soft and serious.  All traces of sarcasm were gone.  "What is this?"


Todd slumped in the chair a bit.  Patrick took over, "The man Hesser hired was a lunatic.  He had a kind of ritual that he performed."


Todd had already closed his eyes and was trying to keep a grip on reality.  He heard John say, "Todd had gone in and out of a catatonic state for the eight years to avoid the torture.  He's just now getting well.  But with the PTSD, we're thinking he will have a relapse in the prison containment."


She looked up from the ghastly photos.  "This is your back, Todd?"


"Yeah, it is.  Pretty chiseled, huh?"  he said, attempting to lighten the mood, for himself as well as everyone else.


She walked to John's desk and put the file down.  Still with her mouth gaping, she said, "What happened to Blair?"



"She's in the hospital, she's not well...like, emotionally.  The baby died inside her, and she had to have surgery to remove her.  She's pulling back from the kids, especially the baby, and I can't be..." his voice cracked, and he cleared his throat, "I can't be away from her.  I know I was wrong to attack him, but when he taunted me, I just couldn't hold back any longer.  I've been dreaming and thinking of hurting him for weeks, since I got back and remembered everything that my captors had done to me.  I lost control.  I know it makes me weak, but I did."


She swallowed, "Should I ask what these memories are about?"


Patrick jumped in, "Ya don't want to know, woman.  I heard what Hesser said," Patrick contributed, "and I would have done the same thing if it were my wife."


She looked to John.  Stoically, he sat, silent.


She looked to Todd.  He said, "What?  Are you asking me, Nora?"


She said, "I don't know, Todd.  Is it vital to your case?  Does it help explain why you did what you did?"


He smirked, "So you're going to help me, then?"


"John asked me, to do this for him.  I'd have trouble letting him down."  She said, but her eyes were fixed on Todd's face.  She could see a hint of the hauntedness, even when he was at his snarky worst.  She whipped her briefcase around and put it on the side table.  "I can get you out of jail, at least bail, claiming hardship with the PTSD and the crimes against you.  Carlo has already been tried and found guilty of torture, unlawful restraint, and kidnapping, twice.  Why there's any question he's responsible this time is beyond me."


Todd found himself relaxing against the hardness of the chair, finally, and then realized how tired he was.  "Whatever you do, just make it so I can see my wife, soon.  She's not well."


Nora said, "I'll do what I can.  If they won't drop the charges, then I will push for bail or an ankle monitor."


"Been there, done that, a piece of cake." Todd said.  She noticed he was not as strong in his cracks as he was in the old days.  He looked worn, defeated.


She said, "John, Todd's not a flight risk, his wife is here, and they just suffered a loss.  This should be a cut and dry case.  when is the arraignment?"


"Two hours."  


"Then I had better get started.  Meet me at the courthouse, guys, I have to go."  And she was gone.


Todd looked at John, "Will wonders never cease?" he said.


"Let's go."  John said, standing.  "Patrick, I'll need your help here."


Todd looked from man to man, "What's up?  You bringing me to a holding cell?"  At the words, John and Patrick both saw Todd's hands shake, and he stood, shoving them into his front pockets.  


"No, we have a certain hospital visit to make."  John  said, opening the door.  Patrick went first, then Todd, and then John McBain, following.


***

At the top of the stairs, Tea and Zeus were against the side wall, kissing and groping each other recklessly.  His hands were tangled in her hair and her bra; hers were unfastening his belt and pants fiercely.  She said, trying to catch her breathe, "I've missed this so much.  And you."



"I know, me too."  He continued to touch her, everywhere he could, and press himself against her.


"Wait!"  she said, and he continued.


"No waiting, not now."


"No, wait, I mean, a second."  He pulled away, reluctantly.  She said, "Didn't you just have heart surgery?"


"Eh?  So what?"


"No, seriously.  You can't be doing this!"


He looked disappointed.  "What do you suggest?"


"I suggest some...very slow," she kissed his lips, "and very deliberate" she kissed his neck, "easy love-making, that I take the lead with."  She kissed his mouth again, deeper.


"I'm all up for that," he said, moving her hand back to his pants. 


"Clearly," she said, and she took him by the hand and lead him into the bedroom.


***
Todd found himself once again at Blair's bedside.  She was turned, on her side, almost curled up, protectively.  She was awake, but not moving.  Her eyes were fixed on a small stuffed toy that had made its way into the hospital room, and she was crying.  He said, "Babe?"


Patrick and John had waited outside the private room, to give them privacy and not alert her to any problems Todd had encountered that day.  She lifted her head to see him, "Oh, Todd," she said, breaking down.  He climbed onto the bed behind her and held her, holding her close to him, and smoothing her hair.  "Shhhh.  I know."


"Larry said..."  she stopped herself.


"What did he say?"  he feared the worst.


"He said....I can't have any more babies, Todd.  Larry said I can't."


He closed his eyes, squeezing out reality, as her sobs racked against him.  "Is he sure?"


She nodded.  He continued to smooth her hair.  She took a break from her sobs, and said, "I can't live, Todd.  I don't want to, not without her."


"Shhhh, now, don't say that.  It's dark right now.  You said that to me, remember?"


"I don't want to leave you, Todd, I know I promised 'no leaving,' but it hurts, so much," her wails reminded him of earlier times, the two other times in her life she had to put a child to rest.  "I can't give you what you want, I can't give us a bigger family."


"I have a big family.  I have you, you're my family Blair.  Stop this now, please?  You don't owe me anything, I owe you my world."


She quieted and cried softly, putting her hands on his arms, that wrapped around her like living blankets of protection.   After a long while, she said, "How was court?"


"It was fine, Babe."


"Did you testify?"


"Yes."


"Was it hard?  I couldn't even be there for you."


"It was okay, I got through it.  Sister Rebecca Katherine was there, my perfect rosary cheerleader."


She did chuckle a little.  "She's so sweet, Todd.  Maybe the baby...could have been named after her."  She drifted off, her words fading into tears.


"It's okay.  I miss her, too."


"I want Hesser put away, Todd.  He has to die.  He has to pay for this."


"Yes, he has to."


"I want him to die, Todd."


"I know.  I know, Babe.  Now, don't cry, let's just rest, please?"


"Are you tired?"  she asked him.


He said, "Yes, very tired.  I'm so tired, Blair."


"All right," she said, and as he predicted, she calmed, for him.  He continued to hold her until they both fell asleep in the hospital bed, him knowing that Carlo Hesser was somewhere in the same building, being treated for the wounds he just gave him.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Todd and Blair, I hope Zeus survives to testify and see Carlos convicted/executed.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!