WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 53

"I'm an officer of the court, John, I'm not going to murder someone," Tea said. And like the others, she remembered screaming when she heard Sister Rebecca Katherine shout, but her attention was elsewhere. "During the shooting, I thought Zeus was dying. I could only focus on him."

"Did you look up at all?"

"Maybe for a second, then I ran to Zeus, and that was all I could think of."

"What about March 25. Where were you and Zeus?"

"I don't remember. That was just an ordinary day, we could have been at home, we could have been anywhere."

"Has Zeus been acting strangely?"

"No, and stop fishing, Lieutenant. Zeus did not kill Carlo."

"How do you know that?"

"He was gung ho about the trial. He had just convinced me to step back and let him testify. He wanted him put away, but he wanted it done the right way."

John made notes, and said, "I don't see how that proves he didn't push things along. He had a lot to get even for with that man."

"That doesn't make him a killer."

"All right, I'll see Zeus now, then. Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else, for either case..."

"You'll be the first to know."

She exited, and Zeus entered. He was much more sturdy and fleshed out than John remembered him. He extended a hand, "McBain."

Remembering a very different "Zeus," John took the hand and shook it. "I'm used to a different name from you."

"That wasn't me. And I'm sorry for any trouble I caused you. I'm just now finding my identity and really trying to become who I believe I am."

"Well, good luck with that. Any chance you're making that happen because you're a new man from killing your father?"

Zeus was slightly startled by John's blunt statement. "No, there's no chance of that. I'd been imprisoned in this body for too long. I wouldn't give my freedom up for anyone."

"You mean being out in the world, free to go and come as you choose?"

"Yes, and to be able to have my family. I love Tea very much. And the girls."

"Clearly. Congratulations. You're a new father."

"Yes, she's gorgeous. What a little doll."

"I'm sure. Maybe before you go, I can see her."

"She's outside with Tea in her little seat. So tiny, and .... I can't believe she's a piece of me."

"Well, that's beautiful. So, where were you on March 25th when the deed was done?"

"You don't mince words."

"No, no need to."

"I don't remember exactly, it was a while ago. Probably home, making love to my wife. Or my wife to be."

"Probably. Were you anywhere near the hospital that week that Blair was brought in?"

"You know I was, I was a patient."

"After that. Did you go visit her, or have a check up?"

He hesitated. "I did have a check up. Blair and I don't really have much love lost for each other."

"I see."

"What date was the check up?"

"I don't remember, but you can check the hospital, I'm sure."

"I'm sure."

"Is there anything else you can tell me that might help these two cases?"

"Nothing, but if I do I'll let you know."

"That's what they all say."

"I wish I could say differently. But I can't. I never saw what hit me at the trial, and I didn't kill my father." John just stared at him as he stood. He said, "Can I go now?"

"Sure. I'll be in touch." John said, and went back to his notes. Reviewing them, he realized one thing. Someone in the group he had interviewed had killed Hesser, and he was no closer to that answer. One of them or someone else, like Patrick Thornhart, who was due to meet with him later that day. The only tidbit of information he had gotten, thus far, was the 'black angel' from Blair's vision. He decided that he'd follow that, and see where it lead. Picking up his items, he went back to his office to prepare for a visit to the courthouse.

After he left, Natalie came into his office and straightened a few things up, then noticed a young man outside his door. The boy was about seventeen or eighteen, and carried a camera in a camera bag, pencils and pens in the pocket of his button down Oxford shirt, and his pants were about two inches too short. With thick-rimmed glasses and a gaggle of freckles, he reminder her of the most typical nerd ever portrayed on film. At first, she thought it may have been an intentional costume, then realized the boy was real and was hanging around a bit too long. She said, "May I help you?"

He pushed his glasses up in the middle of his face and said, "I'm here to see Lieutenant McBain."

"In regards to?"

"I saw a news bulletin on the internet. Something about information about a shooting. Wait a minute," he looked around suspiciously, "Are you a cop?"

"Yes, I am. I'm with the Coroner's Office." Seeing this was not enough, she flashed her badge. "You were saying?"

"I said that I saw a bulletin about the shooting in the court. I wanted to be a good citizen and help out, you know, maybe he would deputize me."

Her eyes widened. "Deputize?"

"Yep. That's why I'm here," he snorted, then said, "He'll want to deputize me after this."

"Well, any of us can deputize."

"Hmm, even you?"

"Yes, even me. Do you want to come in to his office and talk?"

"I suppose, but I'm saving the big news for him. He's sort of like a folk hero to me," he laughed and snorted again.

"All right come in," she opened the door, letting him by her. "Have a seat." He did. "Now what is this about, Mister, uh...?"

"Snardwig. Horace Snardwig."

"Mr. Snardwig. What can I do for you?"

"I have information on the shooting." He sat, hands folded.

"Yes, you said so."

"Yep. Information that will blow this case wide open."

"Yes, you mentioned."

"I know who the shooter is."

She stopped, "You do. Really? Do you have a name on the person?"

"No." Natalie was losing her patience. Just as she was beginning to chalk it up as just another crazy, he pulled a small photo wallet from his pocket. "But the camera does not lie," he said.

"May I?" she asked.

He snorted. "Sure, you're hot," and handed her the wallet. She raised her eyebrows and searched through the photos. There, in one of the shots, was a tall, African-American, dressed in all black, and in each shot, he was walking toward the exit staircase from the main lobby, carrying what looked to be a press pass and a stenographer's notebook. She also noticed in each frame, when she used the wallet as a flip book, he was limping. In one specific frame, she had a perfect view of his face. His eyes were haunted, looking to the side, as if he were paranoid, afraid. For a moment, she thought she knew the man, then the recognition faded.

She looked back to Horace. "If this turns out to be something worthwhile, I am certain Lieutenant McBain will want to speak with you."

He got very excited and rubbed his hands together, "Really?"

"Really. Can you wait? How long do you have?"

"I have all day. I'm homeschooled."

"I see," she said, texting John quickly.

***

It was quiet, and with John's luck, the courtroom where Blair was struck down was not being used at the time he got there. It was lunch hour, and he had planned it perfectly. He stood in the middle of the empty place, looking all around. Walking to the aisle where she had fallen, he saw the dark patch on the floor, that they had attempted to clean, but had left a stain, regardless.

He said, "Oh, Blair," crouching down where she had dropped, and looked up to the skylight. He imagined what she saw, the light coming through the colored panes, Todd over her, begging her not to leave him. He could still remember, himself, Todd's desperation and fear. To see a man who had dealt with the likes of Michael Leona reduced to that, was both telling and chilling.

He shifted his moistened eyes to the top right corner of the balcony, and there it was. Something in the ceiling, a dark area that had gone unnoticed. He got up, heading to the balcony to check things out further. When up there, he realized that there were stairs that lead into and out of the area, and extended up. Unsure as to why his staff had not alerted him to it, he followed the staircase into a supply area, and was surrounded with broken down copiers and copy paper stacked high.

Going back down, he said, aloud, "Your black angel escaped through the top floor," and put his gun back in its holster, "and no one bothered to notice." Blair hadn't hallucinated an angel, she had seen her baby's killer.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!