WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, February 11, 2012

To Journey's End Part Four



            Sam had just taken his rounds around town and had sent his deputy out to check for speeders on the highway.   He didn’t believe in speed traps, but he made sure the out-of-towners saw the sheriff’s car as they got close to the town limits.   If they ignored the warning, then they deserved the ticket.   He walked back into his office just as the phone rang.   Amy had gone to lunch with her Mother, so he had the place to himself.

          “Hello...Hi, Beth. What ‘s going on?”
   
           She sat at her desk where she could keep an eye on her patient.  “You wanted to know if he woke up. He did. He wanted to know where he was so I told him. Sam, he was shook up, he thought he might have tried to commit suicide when he saw his wrists.”

           Sam sat at his desk, from the tone in her voice he knew she was upset.“Beth, did you get a name?”

          “Not at first. He’s having some memory problems but that’s to be expected. He vaguely remembers being chased, and running but he got pretty agitated when he couldn’t remember anything more. He’s developed an infection thanks to those wounds and has a fever. I was trying to make him comfortable and told him I wish we knew his name and a few moments later he told me his name was Todd but that’s it, nothing else.” 

         “That’s something. I have this feeling he’ll get more of his memory back as he heals. He’s a pretty tough guy. Besides, you’re taking care of him. He got the best doctor around.”

          Beth laughed. “Sam, I’m the only doctor around.”

         “I know hon, but you’re still the best. Listen, I should be home early. I’m supposed to meet with the mayor but then I’m finished for the day and I’ll get those blood results and be home after that. Remember don’t talk to any strangers. If he said he was being chased I’m inclined to believe that‘s probably true. They held him prisoner for years, my guess is, they don’t want him out here talking. I love you, Beth. See you later.”

          Hanging up, he began rummaging through his lower drawer, hearing the bell on the door. He said, ”Amy have you seen the local map? I need to check something.” Getting no answer, he looked up to find two men standing in his office. “Oh sorry, thought you were my assistant. How may I help you, gentlemen?“ Two men stood in front of him, a taller black man in a camouflage jacket and jeans, the shorter man just in jeans and wearing a nondescript hunting jacket and cap.   It wasn’t hunting season so Sam was a little curious. The shorter of the two men was fidgeting with his jacket and his hand kept wandering to his hip like he was reaching for something usually placed there and he kept glancing at the taller man, the way one would do when the other person was in charge.

         The taller black man spoke first. “Well sir, we were hoping for some assistance in finding a friend of ours. We were camping a few nights ago not far from here and he went missing.”

          “You say he’s been missing a couple of nights? You should have come to me sooner. If he’s lost in the wilderness down here, there’s no telling what he could encounter. The bayou is alive with alligators and snakes at this time of year.”

“We didn’t come sooner because we thought we could locate him ourselves. We searched all day yesterday, but had no leads and decided maybe getting some local help would be to our advantage.”
Sam sensed that something was off. They looked like good ole boys, but the talker spoke with a cultured voice and was obviously in charge. “Well, I can get together a group to search the area, do you know just where you were camping? Perhaps you could give me an idea on the wall map.”
The taller man walked to the map. He circled an area to the northeast of the town. “We were on the other side of this river. I believe if your people could search this perimeter, we would double our chances of finding him.” 
Sam sat down at his desk. The man had pinpointed an area not too far from where he had found Todd. But it was his terminology that raised red flags for Sam. Only someone in the military would have used a word like perimeters to talk about the miles of bayous they would have to search.” Very well, if you could give me a description of the man and a name, I’ll get to work on organizing a search.”
“Thank you, Sheriff. I should tell you our friend has recently undergone a tragedy. He’s been recuperating from a wreck that took his wife and child. We brought him on this trip to try and get him out of his doldrums, but I fear he might have wandered off trying to find his loved ones. There’s no telling what kind of shape he might be in after several days.”
Sam frowned. They had obviously thought of a very plausible story to cover themselves if the man was found in bad condition. The more he heard, the more Sam didn’t like where this was going. “I understand. Now if you’ll give me that description we’ll have something to go by as we look for him.”
They had his description down to a tee, and Sam recognized Todd from it immediately, but he gave no indication that it was familiar. Instead, he typed it up, finishing it just as Amy returned. He had Amy make about one hundred copies and put the call out to his deputy to galvanize the townspeople that usually helped with searches. “We’ll probably only be able to get in about five hours today. If we don’t find him before dark, we’ll have to start again early in the morning. It’s just not wise to be out on foot in the bayous after dark. I have to tell you, if we don’t find him in the next couple of days, we might never find him. Are you staying here in town, it’s going to take about an hour to get people ready to go out there?”

“We’re going back out there now, but we appreciate your efforts, Sheriff. I’m sure we’ll connect with you, when you and your people get out there.”

“You be careful out there,” warned Sam, “we don’t want to end up having to search for you, too.” 

“We shall be fine. Don’t worry about us.”

As the men turned to leave, Sam spotted an insignia on the cap the shorter man was wearing. His lips pressed together in anger. It was what he had been afraid of. These men were the ones who had been holding Todd, and they were using his office to find their captive.

“Wait a minute. What did you say your friend’s name was?”
“John...John Brown.” replied the taller man.
“And your name?”
“Just call me Jerry. We’ll find you when you get out there. I can’t thank you enough Sheriff. We really need to find our friend.”
Outside the sheriff’s office, Kent turned to his superior. “I still don’t think this is a good idea. If one of these local yokels finds him, he could tell them everything.”
“I’m not really interested in what you think, Kent. It was your carelessness that allowed him to get free. The man was shocked senseless several days ago. He’s in no shape to tell anyone anything. For all we know, he could have slipped back into his catatonic state, and be food for the alligators by now. Right now we need to find him or find evidence he’s dead, unless you want to be the next one in that chair. Now let’s go and for God’s sake man, can’t you act a little more at ease. Your incessant fidgeting is unbearable.“
They walked down the street and entered their SUV, unaware they were being watched.
Sam studied them as they moved down the street. It was crystal clear at this point that “Jerry” was definitely in charge. He walked back over to the phone making a decision. “Hi hon, I wanted to give you a heads up. He was right, they’re looking for him. I’ve got to lead a search this afternoon.”
“Oh Sam, you don’t think they’ll be able to figure out where he’s been, do you?”
“Nah, for now, they’re focused in a different area, but I’ve got an idea how we might be able to slow down their search, or even derail it. First, though, I think it’s time to move our guest out of your office. Honey, what do you think about moving him into our guest room?”
“I don’t have a problem with it, Sam, if you’re sure. We really don’t know anything about him, but I don’t think he’s dangerous. I do think he needs our help.”
“I don’t think he's dangerous, either. If you can, I think you should move him. That way if any of your regulars need help they won’t know he’s there. Also, this search will probably have some minor accidents and they’ll all be coming to you. I agree he needs help. These people who hurt him are capable of anything. There is something about these guys that screams military to me. They have their orders, and they’ll follow them no matter what it takes to get the job done. Listen, I’m going to have to go out on this search. I’m headed home to help you move him. At least then I’ll know he won’t be discovered accidentally. I want to pick up Red and his clothes. I have an idea. See you shortly.”
Beth hung up the phone, biting on her lower lip. She was a little scared but not for herself. The man lying in the other room was so vulnerable right now. She couldn’t let him be found by the ones who hurt him. She got up and went to check on her patient. He was restless, tossing and turning under his blankets. He hadn’t said anymore after his declaration of his name. He had just looked around and remained silent. It was as if he was expecting something bad to happen. She walked over to that cabinet to get out more of the antibiotic she had given him the previous night. Maybe it would be a good time to administer it since he had fallen back asleep. Beth filled the needle and went to sit beside him. He was dangerously hot. Grabbing her thermometer she ran it across his forehead. Damn, 104 degrees. No wonder he was tossing and turning. She injected the antibiotic into his arm and pulled one of the blankets off him. She was going to have to figure out the best way to get him cooler, the temperature needed to come down or he would have a seizure of another type. Hurry up and get home, Sam. I’m going to need your help cooling him off. She got up and headed to the bathroom and began running a tepid bath.
Sam left the Mayors office after begging off from the meeting because of the search. Then he made a quick stop at the lab and picked up the results from Angie. After instructing his deputy to gather the searchers in the school gym, he let him know he would return in an hour to lead them into the bayou. After a ten minute drive, Sam pulled up in front of his home.
“Beth, I’m here. How’s he doing?”
Beth appeared looking frazzled. “Thank goodness you’re home. I need your help, we’ve got to move him into the bath, his temperature has skyrocketed and I need to lower it fast.”
 
Sam dropped the results on the table and followed Beth into her office. He walked over to Todd. “Okay, pal, we need to get you moved.”
Todd’s eyes opened. He tried to focus and saw his friend standing over him. “Sam, you came back.”
“Yeah, it’s me.”
“Sam, he told me you were dead. I’m sorry things were so bad between us.”
Sam looked at his wife. “What’s going on?”
“He’s delirious. Go with it, Sam.”
“Hey, pal, don’t sweat it. I’m here now. Come on, I’m going to help you.”
“Coach, you need to be careful. These guys mean business.”
“I know, pal. Don’t worry, I’ve got it covered.” Sam reached down and put his arm under Todd’s arm and assisted him to his feet. He couldn’t believe the heat coming off the man. Beth got under his other arm and they moved him into the bathroom.
Todd looked around bemused. “Hey, coach, when did the school get a bath?”
“It’s something new. It’s going to make you feel better.”
“Sure, Sam, whatever you say,” his head dropped suddenly, as he lost consciousness again.
Sam swung the man up into his arms and carefully laid him down into the tub. “Easy pal I’ve got you.” He supported Todd’s head and took the towel from Beth to put under it. His heart went out to the young man. He sounded so alone, so desperate for support. Whoever this other Sam was, he was clearly important to Todd. It sounded like the man was dead, though. The young man just couldn’t seem to get a break. Todd stirred again as the cooler water hit his body.
“Sam you still here? Where did you go?”
“Yeah Pal, I’m right here.”
Todd turned his head towards the voice. “Sam I’m sorry I hurt you . You only wanted to help, I’m not worth it Sam. All I do is hurt the people I love. Vicki was heartbroken. Her tears tore through me. You got to understand, I couldn’t go back there.”
 
Sam and Beth just looked at each other. Beth shook her head and walked out of the room before Sam could see her tears. She straightened her shoulders and called back. “I’m going to go clean up the office Stay with him for a few minutes. Keep him calm.”
Sam looked after his wife he heard the catch in her voice and knew she was affected by Todd’s words. He turned back to Todd. “Hey. I understand Todd, I do? You were desperate. I forgive you.” Todd relaxed a little bit and closed his eyes.
 
Sam reached to touch his forehead. “You should just rest, pal. We’ll worry about things later.” Suddenly his arm was grasped tightly by Todd.
“Sam, there’s no time. They’re after me, it’s dangerous. Sam ..” Todd was clearly getting agitated again. He looked around and lost focus. “Why? Why are you doing this? I’ve told you everything I can. Why won’t you believe me? Please ! God no!” Todd began flailing about in the water and it was all Sam could do to keep him from going under.
“Beth, get in here!”
She came running and taking one look, ran back out of the room, returning with a syringe in her hand.
Sam was struggling with him and asked, “What are you giving him? I thought you didn’t want to mix drugs.”
“It’s just a mild sedative. He’s going to hurt himself Hold him the best you can.”
“Woman, I’m already doing the best I can. The only way this is going to stop is if I get on top of him.”
One look from Beth told Sam all he needed to know. “Sorry kid, boss’ orders”
Sam dropped himself in the tub, on top of Todd and held him as still as he could. Beth injected the drug and a few minutes later, Todd stilled beneath him. He looked up at his wife. “Well, give me a hand.” She grasped his hand and tugged him out of the water. They looked down at Todd. His eyes were opened, but still unfocused. “Beth, is he all right?”
She pulled her pen light out of her pocket and checked his pupils. His pupils didn’t react to the light. It wasn’t good. “Todd, can you hear me? Sam, say something to him, see if you can get him to talk.”
“Hey pal, come on talk to me now. Don’t leaving me hanging.” Todd was unresponsive.
“What’s the matter, Beth? What’s wrong now? Is it the fever?”
Beth frowned. “I’m afraid it’s worse than that. Did you bring those results home?”
“Yeah, they’re out on the table.”
“Stay here make sure he doesn’t slip under.” She got up and went to the kitchen table and read his blood results. Her heart sunk. “Oh Sam, the poor man. It’s so unfair. It’s too much for him.” She was crying crumbling the paper in her hands.
“Beth, honey, you need to tell me? What’s wrong with him?”
“He’s catatonic, he’s withdrawn into himself because he can’t face things right now.”
“How long is he going to be like this?”
“I don’t know. All we can do now is wait and keep him company.” She moved closer and checked Todd’s vitals and could tell his temperature had fallen sufficiently to remove him from the bath. “Since you’re still wet, let’s move him to the bedroom. At least in this state, he won’t have anymore dreams. It might be for the best, it will give his body a chance to heal.”
Sam nodded and together they lifted him out of the water. Sam once again gathered him into his arms and carried him into the room and laid him down on the bed. He watched as Beth dried the young man and then disappeared. She returned with more gauze and antiseptic. “Have you got this under control? I need to change and get back to town.”
She looked at him and nodded. “Go, get changed. There’s nothing we can do right now. Keep those searchers away from here, Sam. I’m not going to let those sadists have him back. The clothes he was wearing are by the front door.”
“Gotcha. Don’t worry by the time Red and I are through, they’ll think he’s long gone or dead. I’ll be home later. Remember, if anyone comes by for aid, don’t let on we’ve got a guest.” He saw her hand shake a little as she began cutting off the wet bandages. He walked over and wrapped his hand around hers and together they cut them off. He bent and kissed her cheek. “You watch over your chick, mother hen. This rooster’s going to go after those foxes,and when he’s done, they’ll leave with their tails between their legs.”
That cause her to chuckle and he felt better about leaving her. His Beth was strong. She’d find a way to bring the fellow back and he’d be there helping.













*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. aww I love that Todd has a new friends who are willing to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry! Nice little not to Agent Baker's previous appearance on the show. Am loving this. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!