WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Way Back: Chapter 6

Both of them pulled back a bit when they heard Viki come back to the terrace doors. "Are you two all right? My goodness, it's been such a hard time for you already today and I'm afraid it's not much beyond morning."

They walked arm in arm through the french doors and back into the library. Blair was still sniffling, and Todd inconspicuously wiped his eyes. "We're trying to get through some things. It's been a long time apart, and there's so much that has passed between us." Blair said, looking at him lovingly. Viki noticed how connected they were; even after all that had gone on, it was as if they were never apart.

"We've got to face it. We have issues. Before I disappeared, Blair had asked me to leave her life and never return. How about it Blair?" He asked, turning to her. "Can you give me a chance? I want to be able to put you and the kids first in my life, for good this time."

"Todd, you've been through enough, and so has Blair. Why don't you two let things progress naturally and take it a bit slower." Viki said. "In fact, I am going to make a suggestion."

Blair responded, "I think we'd be open to any help we can get. It's so much. So many things...." her voice trailed off as she turned to him, looking into his eyes. She was still crying. In fact, every time she looked at him, she felt the tears come. This is the man I have always loved. I know it, as clear as I am sitting here. But he has brought me more hurt than anyone ever has. I'm scared...

Her thoughts were interrupted by Viki's voice repeating a question. "Blair? What do you think?"

"I'm sorry. What do I think of what, Viki? I was lost for a moment in my thoughts." She felt Todd's hand tighten around hers, and she felt even worse. The guilt was overwhelming. Here he was comforting her, and he had been through a living hell for eight years of his life - because of her selfishness.

"That the two of you go up to my cabin for a few days. Talk things over. You'll have quiet, and no interruptions. Perhaps you can work through some of this. When you come back, I'll be right here if you need me to help with talking to the children."

"What do you say, Blair?" Todd looked at her, hopeful. "It's not a bad idea."

"I'm willing. Yes, I think it's a good idea. It has to be done, and we'll be able to focus on it and get ourselves ready for the next hurdle. But first, " she said, grabbing her purse, "I have something important to take care of. Viki, I thank you so much for the cabin, for the breakfast and for the chance to start healing from all of this. Todd, I'll meet you at the cabin in about 2 hours, is that all right?"

"Uh Blair?" he said, calmly from the sofa.

"Yes?"

"I don't have a car, remember?"

Viki chuckled and said, "That's all right Todd, I'll have my driver bring you. That way, you all only have one car to deal with on the way back."

"Okay then," he said, "it's a date. I'll see you in 2 hours or so. Don't be late, I might get scared in the woods alone, you know, a city boy and everything..." Then, he looked at his hands, "but really, I don't like being alone too much anymore, especially somewhere isolated..."

Blair changed her direction and headed back into the library. "All right, no problem, let's change the plan. Let me get my things together, do what I have to do, and come back and get you in about ninety minutes? Is that better?" She folded her arms and got that annoyed wife look again, the one he just loved. He was pondering which look of hers he did not love when she repeated herself, "Huh, is that better?"

"Yeah, Blair, that's fine. Thanks. I'll be ready." And she was off. In the silence of her exit, Todd looked at his sister. "Can I have a sandwich?"

Blair drove directly to La Boulaie to gather belongings for the trip. She planned to have Starr stay with Addie and the kids while she was gone. It would only be a few days. She threw some garments into a bag and got herself together. At the bottom of the staircase, when she was headed for the door, Starr raced in to catch her. "Mom, I got your message. Where are you going? This is too much. Is that guy Dad? What is going on?"

"Starr, I have to ask you to be patient with me about this. Really. I have a few things to sort out. Please understand. As soon as I get back, I will definitely answer all of your questions." She was harried and flustered, and turned back to the door.

"Mom, stop! Please?" Starr was in tears. "Please mom, is he....is that man really Dad?"

Blair took her daughter in her arms for a hug. "Oh Starr, I'm sorry. I should have realized what this would do to you. What do you think, sweetie? Do you think he's your Dad?"

Starr wrung her hands. "I know that, well, the man who's been Dad, I've thought he was my father for the last eight years, Mom. But now....I'm not sure anymore. The other night, Mom, he kissed you. He had the scar. He looked like Dad, he acted like Dad. Mom, he even smelled like Dad. But it's so hard to believe...where was he?"

The conversation had gone exactly where Blair feared it would. She was not ready to tell Starr about Todd's experiences yet. She knew she didn't even know the half of them. "I don't know much, Starr. I promise to tell you more when I find out."

"Mom! Is he Dad?" Starr yelled.

Blair, patted her daughter's cheek. "Yes sweetie, I think he is your Dad. But I promise to find out for sure and come back with more information. Please just give this a day or two before doing anything?"

"You mean before talking to....Mom what is his name? Do I call him Dad anymore? I can't take this!"

At that moment, Blair realized that it was going to be difficult for the kids while she and Todd were gone. They would be approached, no doubt, by The Impostor. What if he were dangerous? Blair sat on the bottom step and thought for a few moments. Then she made a phone call.

"Momma? Can you come down here, please?" she called up the staircase.

Addie came to the landing with Hope and Little Sam in tow. "How would you all like a vacation?"

Sam blurted out, "A vacation! COOL! Yay!"

Starr put her hands on her hips. Clearly, she was not as happy as her little brother.

Addie spoke up, "Oh this is wonderful. Thanks, Blair, we'll have a wonderful time."

"Momma, pack some suitcases and get the kids ready. You all won't mind a week in Disneyworld will you?"

Jack was ambling down the steps; his face was teenage angst. "I'll mind."

"Lots of girls!" Addie reminded him.

"It will be great, come on Jack, please?" Sam pleaded.

He just shrugged.

Blair said, "it's all settled then. You're off. I made the plane reservations already. Get packed, I'll be back to bring you all to the airport in about 30 minutes, okay?" And she flitted out the door.

The kids cheered and Addie ushered them up the stairs. Jack lagged behind to speak to Starr. "She wants us away from here for some reason."

"Yes."

"The guy who says he's our father and has been our father for the last eight years is probably an Impostor. He's probably a danger to us or something. I should have known by the way he's been acting, especially toward me."

Starr looked at her brother in disbelief. "What? What do you mean, Jack?"

Her brother pulled back a bit and harnessed his emotion. "Nothin'. Maybe later, all I know is, that guy that showed up last night at the premier? He's probably our real father." And he walked the staircase as she watched him go.

Blair pulled her car in front of The Manning Mansion, and sat behind the wheel for a moment. She was hoping and praying that "Todd" was not home. To her relief, she spied their car missing from the carport, and remembered Tea mentioning an evening out. "How can they still go out and about with all of this?" she asked herself. She got out of the car and rang the bell. Within a few moments, Tomas appeared at the door.

"Hi Blair, how are you doing after last night...."

"What do you know about this?" she pushed her way past him. "I know you know more than you are saying, and you are going to fill me in right now."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Oh really, are you really going to do this, Tomas? After all I supposedly meant to you? You're going to stand there and lie and lie and lie?"

Tomas folded his arms. "What do you want to know?" His voice had gone cold.

"Who is the man who is married to Tea, who is Sam's father, who is living in this house with Todd Manning's fortune?"

"I don't know for certain."

"You don't? How long have you known, Tomas, that my children might be in danger?"

"I don't think they are in danger."

"The hell they aren't. He's not Todd Manning, is he? You said, 'this man is not Todd Manning' right before Todd appeared last night. What did that mean?"

Tomas sat down and buried his head in his hands. Then he looked up. In her beauty, she was fiery and determined. This was how she looked when she was passionate about someone. And she clearly was passionate about this man, Todd Manning. "It meant I had reason to believe he was not who he said he was."

"When did you plan on telling everyone?"

"I was telling you all then. Then Manning appeared. At least I think he's Todd Manning. We truthfully don't have proof either way at this point. But if we are to believe that man that came into the premier last night, then we have to assume that my sister's husband is not Todd, right?"

"What about Todd? What do you know about his disappearance? Did you know he was alive?"

"Blair..."

"Did you know he was alive?" she screamed. Her fists were tight and her knuckles were white.

"Yes. Yes, I did."

She sank to the chair across from him. Sobbing into her hand, she looked back up. "All those speeches about breaking a cycle. All of that. Just to have me for yourself?"

"I wasn't really sure he was still alive. I thought he may have died, but when I saw him, I knew. But yes, that's the truth. I am glad it is out. I knew there was a chance he was alive from the moment I met you."

She cried. And when she finished, she looked up with the bitterness of the abused unwanted pariah that first came to town. "How did you know? HOW did you KNOW he might still be alive?"

Tomas looked at her. He knew he needed to look at her long, because he may not see her again after this discussion. "Eight years ago, I was a hired assassin. And my superior ordered me to find and bring in who he claimed to be a known terrorist. That man was Todd Manning."

Blair was in such shock her hands began to shake. "Terrorist? Todd? No, that's not true."

"I know it's not. At least I know that now. But, I didn't know that then. So I followed orders."

"Where did you take him from?" she held her breath.

"I took him from Victor's crypt. I was ordered to get him and bring him to my superiors. When I got to the crypt, the lid was just being lowered over him. When I lifted the top off, he was unconscious and bloodied. He was in the crypt with Victor his father, and his hands and fingers were bloody from picking the ropes off and trying to pry the lid off. His feet were tied, but he had broken his ankle from trying to kick his way out of the tomb. He was suffocating. I took him out of the tomb, and lay him on the ground. The photo of your wedding was gripped in one hand. That is how I got it, to make the painting that brought you to me originally."

"Don't stop now. Go on."

"I delivered him to my superiors and then was sent on more assignments. I never found out what happened to him after that."

She gathered her things. "Thank you for this information."

"Blair, wait, I thought I was helping my country and doing something positive. I had no idea..."

"Stop it. You knew he was alive when you delivered him. You knew he might be alive when you met me. You've lied every single day you've known me. He could have died. He lost eight years with my children, he was tortured, and he's damaged. Hell, he's more damaged now than he was when I knew him. I will never forgive you for this." She slammed out of the house, leaving him behind.

In the car, she paused at the wheel but told herself not to give in to the sobs that were attempting to wrack her body. Instead, she looked into the mirror. "Blair Cramer, you have to keep it together. You've been through enough to know that you can handle this. That man back at Llanfair needs you and you've got to be there for him. He's been alone long enough."




2 comments:

  1. Loved the confrontation between Blair and Thomas. That is what should have happened on the show, not the he thought he was serving his country crap.. Great chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I couldn't stand the whole Tomas part or that Blair gave him the time of day after finding out what part he played. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!