WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Way Back: Chapter 20

Tomas rounded the corner at the police station, heading straight for John McBain's office.  Seeing the door slightly open, he pushed it the rest of the way, lightly knocking as he entered.  "May I come in?"

"What's up, DelGado?"

"I came to talk to you about my sister.  She's missing."

"Missing?"

"Don't play like you don't know.  I know you're aware."

"Maybe."  He didn't want to let on that Shaun Evans told him that they had cleared out the house and gone.

"Listen, McBain, my sister could be dead or worse."

"Your sister is a very capable, independent woman, who clearly left of her own free will with her husband and child.  No sign of a struggle, no foul play, no clues at all as to what happened.  Maybe it's an extended vacation?"

"Which means?"

"Which means this is not a police matter.  There's no evidence to establish any wrongdoing.  They probably went out of town.  It's getting pretty crowded here in Llanview."  He sat behind his desk, now ignoring Tomas.  

"I want to file a missing person's report."

"It can't be filled out for at least 24 to 48 hours, and still, must have some suspicion of wrong doing.  People up and leave all the time.  Is there a reason that she might not tell you where she is going?"  Tomas attempted to cover a tell-tale face. "Did you have words?"  

"If we did, that does not mean something isn't right.  She would tell me if she were going somewhere."

"What was the last thing she said to you?"

Tomas reflected.  "She told me that she knew her husband was who he said he was, and that was her truth."

"Then I rest my case.  If you find evidence of some wrongdoing, let me know.  Close the door on your way out, will you, Delgado?"

Tomas exited the office in a huff, almost running right into Todd.  Both men stopped for a moment and stared at each other, before Tomas said, "Out of my way, ."

"Out of your way?  I guess that might be where you'd want me, yeah.  No such luck."

"Maybe not today."  Tomas turned to go, walking beyond Todd.
"Delgado?"

"What?  I have to go.  I am going to find my sister, who is missing if you haven't heard."

"At the premier, you said something.  Why did you say to the other guy that he was not Todd Manning?"

"What do you think?"

Todd ignored his obvious taunting.  "Just how long had you known?  And what did you know about my accommodations for the last eight years?"

Tomas crossed his arms over his chest.  He was not going to let Manning get the best of him.  "I don't know anything.  The only thing I know is that my sister's husband is not you, is he?"

"If he was not me, and you knew it, where did you assume I was?  Or did you actually know?"

"I don't owe you any explanations.  I knew what I knew, gut feeling.  I have to go find my sister."  He said, walking off.  Todd watched him go, certain there was more to it.  He approached John's door and entered.
"Don't you know how to knock?"

"Not really, it escaped me during my captivity the last few years. Seems our doors there were opened by a hand-activated panel."

John looked up, cocking an eyebrow.  "What is it, Manning?"

"I was checking to see if you got anywhere with that name I gave you?"

"In fact I did.  As promised."  He handed Todd a slip of paper.  "Don't say I never gave you anything."

"Why would I say that?  You gave me a free drink.  You gave me macaroni and cheese.  I think there was an apple in there and a glass of beer.  Not to mention, you saved my life."

"Just doin' my job."

"Okay."  He sat down.  "Nice office.  If you like offices."

"Thanks.  What's next, Manning?  What do you want to ask me?"

"What do you know about my disappearance?"

"Your disappearance?"

"Yeah, in 2003.  You know, me, gone, guy takes over.  Wife marries him.  That disappearance.  You are a cop and all."

"I don't know much.  I know you were last seen in Victor Lord's crypt."

Todd began to shake.  He slid down in the chair, and then leaned forward.  His face became ghostly white.  John stood up, coming around to his side of the desk.  "Todd?  Hey, man, what is it?  Hey, lean over and put your head between your knees."  Todd did as he was told.  "That's it.  Hang on a second."  He used his hand to steady Todd and let him know he was still there.  "Take deep breaths."  Todd slowly sat back up.  The color had come back into his face.  "Do you want to talk about this?  I mean, what happened just then?"

"It was...memories...that's all."

"You remember it?"

"Some of it."

"Do you remember how you got out of there?"

"No.  But I remember how I got in, and I remember the last thing I did before there was nothingness."

"If you want to tell me what you mean, I'm all ears."
"Laurence's goons put me into the same tomb with my dead father.  It was...I couldn't breathe.  My hands, arms, and legs were tied.  I was fighting to get my hand loose."

John, even being a seasoned cop, winced at the thought of what this man went through.  "Get your hand loose?  You thought you could get out?"

"No.  I wanted my hand loose, so I could hold the picture."

"What picture?"

"The picture of me, and Blair.  Our wedding.  You didn't live here then."

John swallowed.  One thing he had to admit, this man loved his woman.  "Did you make it?"  His voice, Todd noted, was somehow different.

"Yeah.  I made it.  I held it and I saw it in my head and I closed my eyes and held my breath.  And that's all."

"I'm sorry."  McBain could be tender.  "I don't know anything more than you do.  Not about what happened to you."

"All right, then what do you know?"
"I know, according to police files, that your wife tried desperately to find you.  You were accused of the death of someone . . ."

"Sam.  Sam Rappaport.  Not someone, Sam."

"All right. Sam.  She knew you didn't do it.  Heck, even Nora didn't think you did it.  And you didn't, did you?"
"No.  Why would I do that?  He was the only other man who cared about me in my whole life.  Things were shaky with us because of Blair, but his death devastated me.  Mitch made sure he told me about it before..."  He trailed off.

"Todd, can I say something?"

"Why not?"

"Use that info I gave you.  It will help.  You need support, you've been through Hell and back.  You've got classic PTSD, brother, I know.  I suffered from it too, a while back.  I lost someone and was almost burned alive."

"I'm sorry.  But, you're here today, right?  And look, you own Rodi's.  A grand accomplishment in its own right."

McBain couldn't help himself.  He actually smiled.  Was he beginning to like this guy?

"I'm going to go now.  And listen, don't ever, even if I ask, tell me anything that other guy did to my girls.  Trust me, it won't be pretty."

"All right."

"Don't worry, I'm hitting up the therapist right now.  I hope I can get right in the head so I can carry on my life."

"I hope so too, and I mean that."  John extended a hand.

Todd took it and shook.  "Goodbye and thanks. I owe you about $10.  And my life."

McBain watched him go, and leaned against the door frame as he swaggered out of the police station.  "You don't owe me anything, Mr. Manning."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you do the imposssible and make McBain tolerablewhich is more than RC or any other OL writer could do... congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I actually like McBain, and I loved the idea that he might be friends with Todd.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!