WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, February 3, 2012

The Way Back: Chapter 4

The kiss lingered for both of them until the bars seemed to vanish. Either that, or they didn't matter anymore to either of them. When they separated mouths, the rested their foreheads on each others. "I missed you. Just sayin'," he said.

She smiled, still crying. "Me too." She grabbed her purse off the ground and turned to go.

"Blair?"

"I'm getting you out of here. You're going home. Not another night in this place." She stopped and looked back. "Not another minute locked up. It's been enough already."

He couldn't help himself. His tears were running. "You believe me."

"Yes. I do."

"Blair?"

"Yes, Todd." Her voice was all air, soothing.

"Did you know? Right away, I mean."

She walked back to the bars. Reaching through, she stroked his scar and tugged his ear. "Yes, I knew. I am not sure I wanted to accept it, but I knew."

"When?"

"When I first saw your face and got closer and looked into your eyes. That was really all it took. I knew you were home." She trailed off, tearful.

He smiled in spite of his tears. "Okay. I wondered what it took. I'm glad you knew."

"I'll be right back. I have to arrange this bail hearing and get you out of here."

"Where to?"

"Our first stop: Viki. I think she'll know how to help you get your life back."

And with that, she went off through the double doors and back into reality. He, however, felt like he might be ensconced in fantasy; some self-imagined world that he created for himself to ease the pain and loneliness he'd suffered for so long. So, he waited to see her again, and then he'd know for certain it was real.

While waiting, he reviewed the last few days. He'd seen and touched his daughter. He'd met his son. He'd kissed the woman he loves, not once, but twice. He'd watched how Tea and The Impostor related to each other. He'd noticed Tomas acting rather jealous, and learned what kind of man McBain really was. All in all, an eventful few days, culminating in an all-night go fish marathon with a police lieutenant who made Keanu Reeves seem jovial and animated. He raised his hand to his face and traced where her fingers had been. Soon he would be taking back all that was his, and he wanted so much to share that with his children and his wife.

Being in the car with Blair driving was an experience. He seemed to have to hold on to the wardrobe bar every time she turned a corner. "I knew you were a horrible driver. Why in the world did I agree to this?"

"Oh hush, I got you out, didn't I?"

"You got me there. What are you going to tell Viki? She doesn't even know I am alive, let alone that I am around?"

"Me? Todd! What do you mean, me?" She screeched the car to a halt at the red light looming.

"Well, you are the one who got me out. You are the one who came to see me today. You are the one who kissed me."

"Wait a minute, you actually kissed me, twice now since you'e been back."

"Let's not start this again. Really."

"Well..." the light changed and she floored it, sending him reeling back against the seat. "You kissed me, Mister. Just remember that."

"I guess. But, you kissed back."

"Yeah, I may have." Another red light. She turned to reprimand him further and his lips were on hers again. She pulled back.

"No bars this time. What are you going to do about that?"

"I'm...I'm just adjusting, that's all. It's very fast."

He thought about her words. She was asking for space. In the past, he never would have thought about obliging. But now, since he had waited all that time, he was all right with just looking at her. But, he was definitely going to have fun with it. "Ok, no problem. We can slow it down, then."

She turned quickly. "Really? You mean it?"

"Sure," he grinned, and folded his arms over his chest. "No more kissing, I promise."

He saw her flush from the neck up, her chest bright pink against the white of her scoop neck t-shirt. "Ok." She hesitated. "No more."

"Ok back to Viki. I don't think her Davidson heart can take the shock."

"To-od! That's cruel."


"Well I don't want to shock her to death. How cruel would that be?"

She parked the car in the driveway of Llanfair. "I'll go in first. Stay here."

"Blair?"

"Yes?"

"Where would I be going?"

She was flustered, and he loved it. "Never mind, I'll be right back." And she flounced off, her cotton print skirt fluttering behind her.

Llanfair. He'd been there recently, watched his sister through the french doors, and had a meltdown in her library. It was that darn picture of The Impostor. What was Viki thinking? He couldn't do much but wait for Blair's signal, and as he waited, he put his head back against the headrest and closed his eyes. A calm sense of peace had come over him the moment he walked through the cell door and followed Blair to her car. Now, he could just sit there, soak up the sun through the sunroof, and drift in his mind to the future, Blair, Jack, Starr, The Sun, and everything he had once loved, and still very much did.

A knock at the window alerted him. "Come on. I softened the blow."

Todd grimaced. "What did you say?" He got out of the car and still had his arms folded.

"I told her that you were alive, and that I knew where you were. Then I left the room and came out here to get you."

"Not sure that will work, but we'll try."

The main doors to Llanfair were always a place he felt like an outsider. From the first time he had entered them, years back when he was attempting to find out who he was, to today, he felt the very same pangs of uncertainty, wonder and pain. They entered the lobby, and crossed to the library doors. Viki opened them before they even got a chance to enter. She gasped, "Oh my God!" and her hand went to her mouth. "It can't be."

"It is. Hi, Sis. I know it's been a while."

She stared, dumbfounded, and her mouth was hanging open in a rather peculiar twist. "My goodness, I was just not ready for this, at all." She walked into the library and sank into a chair. "Please, sit down, both of you. Where have you been?"

He smiled in spite of the situation. Where have you been? The same question Blair had asked. She knows, too. Todd started to explain his whereabouts for the previous 8 years. At times, both Viki and Blair were in tears, listening to his ordeal. Finally, he came to a halt and Viki spoke. "Are you all right? It must have been terrible for you."

He swallowed. "I could use a hug."

She half-smiled. "My brother doesn't like hugs."

"Well, for the last eight years, the only time your brother was touched was to be tortured." With that, Viki got up from her chair and sat next to him, taking him in her arms. Blair watched with tears stinging. He let out a long sigh over Viki's shoulder, and caught Blair's teary eye, and reached for her hand, which she took and held behind Viki's back.

6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting turn of events. I like that both Blair and Vicki are the next to hear after John just what exactly happened to him.. I would like to see just a little more dialogue or action fleshed out between the characters. Give me some real conversations please. I feel like I'm getting 2 second cnversations I love all these characters . and you write them well but I need more more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what we all thought, Blair knew instantly. Yet the show had her doubting and behaving like he was intruding. Good narrative though. Keep them coming. Where do you get the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. I like writing these stories. Instead of watching the show, I write.

      Delete
  3. Well, thank you for reading.

    These are real conversations, I believe. I just don't dabble in lengthy, droning speeches between characters, unless absolutely necessary.

    As a writer, I prefer the conversation to flow like common talk between people, a few sentences on each side, etc. Vicki will have more time with Todd, and there will be more talk, but this particular book is really about Todd, his nuclear family and getting his life back (with some twists and turns along the way.) I love the comments, the suggestions and the commentary, so please continue.

    I read, comment on, and take into consideration all critiques. Thanks again!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE MADE IT THROUGH CHAPTER 4 & AM VERY INTRIGED. I TOO KNOW THIS IS TODD BUT WHERE IS THE REST OF THE FAMILY? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR KEEPING SOME OF OLTL ALIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edna, so glad to see you've started the saga from the start! Hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!