WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Way Back: Chapter 26

As they sat and waited for the DNA kit, the door to John's office flew open.  "McPain, read this!"  Jack threw the newspaper down on the lieutenant's desk and folded his arms before he even noticed that Todd and Blair were in the room.

"Jack Manning, don't be rude."  Blair admonished him.  He turned and glared at Todd.

"Why are you with him?  He's the FAKE!  He took a DNA test, Mom, he's not my father."

"Jack..." Todd began.

"Don't talk to me."  He turned his back to Todd, "He's a fake, an impostor, and my real father is missing.  What are you going to do about it?"

John stood up, and firmly leaned toward the teen.  "Sit down and shut your mouth."  Jack, taken aback, cooperated hesitantly.  "You show respect.  You knock.  You don't speak to your mother in that tone."

"You're not my father, either."

"Jack!"  Blair was stunned.  It was as if she was watching someone else.  He reminded her of the other guy, at times, and also of Todd in his early days.  The effect everything had held on her son was becoming clearer every day.

"What?  You can read, Mom.  He's NOT my Dad.  He lied, he got our hopes up, he made us feel things.  Now the DNA test proves it.  And why isn't he in jail?"

"The charges were dropped, Jack.  Today."  John explained.  Nora had called John's office early and dropped all charges against Todd.  Todd hadn't known; neither had Blair.  It seemed Nora had a bout of conscience.

"He killed a man!"  Jack was up again.  "He killed a man stone dead at Aunt Dorian's."

"Yeah, I did.  He was going to shoot your little brother.  We fought over the gun, and it went off.  I had to, or Little Sam would have died."  Todd spoke.  Jack did not turn to acknowledge him.

"Sounds like he saved your brother's life, Jack."  John said.

"Jack, what is this about?  At the cabin, you accepted your father for who he is.  In fact, you could not stop talking about him after that,"  Blair reminded.

"Yeah, that's just it," the teenager became emotional, "I thought he was.  Heck, I even wanted him to be.  He seemed like a good guy, like he cared.  But he's a liar.  He probably made Dad and Tea disappear."  His words made his mother move closer to him.  Placing a hand on his arm, she turned red as he cast her off.

"No, Jack, I didn't . . ." Todd began.

Jack finally turned to him, Blair moving closer to his side, in an attempt to thwart his attack.  "And you kidnapped Sam!  So McPain, he's going to get away with that?  He had him for an afternoon.  God knows what he did to him."  he turned back to Todd, "You're probably a child molester or one of those weird perverts!"

Before she could stop herself, Blair reached out and slapped her son across the face.  He was so startled, he froze, and brought his hand to his cheek.  "Jack Manning," she was shaking with tears in her eyes, "Don't you ever say something like that again, do you hear me?  He is your father, you have no idea what he has been through in his life."

Todd moved a step closer.  "No, wait.  First of all, you're not to disrespect your mother like this.  Second, I can understand why you might think something like that, Jack.  But it's simply not true.  And like it or not, I am your father.  I don't know why the test came up wrong, but I am." 

Jack's voice elevated, with fear and hurt in his eyes.  "You're not.  You're not."

"Son," Blair moved back again, "Son, I'm so sorry, but you're not acting like yourself.  These things you're saying, no one raised you to speak like this."

"Oh yeah?  Someone did.  My real father.  He taught me everything I know, Mom, and you sat there and let him.  He taught me well, believe me."  He was referring to The Impostor.

Todd felt such pain watching his son lose control, as if he were watching a film of himself years back.  "Just what did he teach you, Jack?"  Todd asked him.

"To be tough.  Never let anyone see you sweat.  Talk hard and move fast.  Do what you have to so you can get what you want."  Blair began crying and sat in the chair, her head in her hands.  Jack looked at her.   "Why are you crying?  After all, you don't care about me.  You left me to him."

She gasped, "Jack!  That's not true.  I've always been there for you!  I'm your mother."

The stress was overwhelming Todd, and he started to feel as if blackness was closing in.  He couldn't.  He could NOT get stuck in a memory now.  He had to be there for his son and his wife.  Don't.  Breathe deep, three breaths.  "Jack, I know how you feel.  I felt the same way growing up.  The exact same way.  But you're wrong about your mother.  She loves you and she has done her best to love you and care for you."

"How do you know?  You weren't here.  You left us.  She's probably just on your side because you're sleeping with her."

Todd rose out of the chair.  "That's more than enough, Jack."  His tone was menacing, but he did not yell.  He felt anger enough to grab the boy, but he held back.  "That's more than enough.  You’re hurting, and you want everyone else to hurt, and I understand that.  I don't condone it, but I understand.  I've been there.  But you’re wrong.  You’re so wrong about so many things."

At that moment, Davidson knocked on the partially open door.  “Boss you wanted this . . .”
“Leave it on my desk and I will get back to you.” John said.  He was observing closely, but remaining in the background.  For now.

“Oh yeah? What am I wrong about?  You don’t know what it was like being raised by my father.  Sometimes he was great, your best pal; the next minute he was hiking me up by my shirt collar.”

Todd faltered, he felt panic rise in his throat.  He brought his hand to his forehead.  “I’m…I’m sorry,” he fumbled.  “I’m sorry, but I do know what you’ve been through, Jack.  I do.”

“You’re just saying this to make me believe you.  Well, I don’t.  I can’t!” he began to cry.  “Why did you leave us?  Why did you make us think you were him?  Why did you say you were my Dad?”

“That’s easy,” said a voice from the doorway, belonging to the man Jack had known as his father. Next to him stood Tea, tanned, her hands on her hips.  “Because he’s an impostor and wants to take everything I have.  But I’m back and I am your father.” 

1 comment:

  1. OK I love Blair slapping Jack cause he is acting like a brat and I wanted to see that on the show but I also like Todd's restraint while dealing with him.. So excited to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!