WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, February 9, 2012

To Journey's End Part Three

           He must have fallen asleep, because he was startled when Beth touched his arm. They both jumped. Something smelled good and he heard his stomach growl.

          “Sam go eat. I’ll watch him.” She was holding a cup of coffee between her hands and took a quick sip. “I’ve already eaten.”

          “What time is it?”

          “Three in the morning. Now go, you didn’t eat much dinner either.”

          She didn’t have to say it again. He stretched his legs and walked to the kitchen, sitting down to eat the breakfast she made.

           Beth sat down next to her patient and started to reach for his wrist to take a pulse. She frowned and instead put her fingers on his neck, in so doing she found another injection site. It was a curious place for an injection. It had been administered directly into his carotid artery. She put her coffee down and got up and walked to her journals. Usually injections into that artery were because of some need to stimulate the brain. Was that the way they were able to keep him lucid after the shocks? He must have felt like a living lightning rod, shot full of electricity. When his body could no longer respond, they would give him some kind of wake up shot, and the whole process would begin again.

          “No! I don’t know.” he spoke aloud.

          “Don’t know what?” Beth turned around quickly at his voice .At first, she thought he was talking to her but quickly realized he was dreaming. She went to him. From his tone, he was agitated. “What do you want from me? I would tell you if I could. Please God, not that..” He screamed and his body went into convulsions as he was swept along in his nightmare.

“Beth what’s happening?” asked Sam as he came into the room.

“Sam, he’s reliving it.” Beth hated the feeling raging through her. With all her years of medical school, she couldn’t aid the man thrashing on the bed.

“Reliving? You mean...the torture... he’s dreaming it and it’s doing that to him. But why? Can’t we wake him up?”

She shook her head, “It could be too dangerous. You saw his wrist and ankles, some of those scars were years old. There’s no telling what kind of damage that did to his neural pathways. Either way, it isn’t wise to wake someone from such a nightmare.“ They watched helplessly as his body reacted to the imagined current and then as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Beth moved in quickly to check his heart to see if it too had been affected by the nightmare. It was racing but strong. She sat down beside him .”You poor man.” He was now covered in sweat from his ordeal and she took the wet cloth from the tray and began to carefully wash him down.

“Beth,I can watch him again. I finished eating, you should go to bed.”

She shook her head.”No, he’s my patient. I’ve already had some sleep and you need to work. I’ll be all right.” 

Sam kissed her cheek. “After what I just witnessed, I’m wide awake. We’ll both keep him company.” He sat down in the chair watching her. Their patient starting mumbling.”What’s that he’s saying.”

“Shh Sam, I can’t hear.” in the silence they began making out his words.

His words were slurred “I ..have...daughter name ..Starr.  Starr  has a  mother...Blair ...she ...wife..I ...have ..son..Jack... have daughter... her name is Starr....Starr mother is Blair...she...was my wife...son...Jack.. I have a daughter...Starr..” his voice slowly died away again.

“I don’t understand. Why is he repeating those names?”

Beth nodded. “Of course. Sam, don’t you see? Repetition. I think he used it. It probably kept him sane.”

“You mean like some sort of mantra?”

“Exactly, he had to find a way to survived so he clung to those memories. I wonder where they are? His family? Do they even know he’s alive?”

Sam looked at his wife. He heard her wistful tone. He regretted never being able to give her children. She had always wanted a family but it wasn’t meant to be. Her maternal instincts went out to the man lying on the bed. He was wounded and alone and needed someone to care. Sam could see it on her face. This man needed her and she would be there for him as long as it was necessary. “They probably have no idea. Like you said. His scars indicate he’s been held for some time. But don’t dwell on that. We’ll help him. When he wakes up maybe we’ll be able to get a name. I have a feeling, that for now, he’s taking it one day at a time.”

“I suppose you’re right, I’m getting ahead of myself. By this time tomorrow, I’ll have a lot more information. I just hope when he wakes up he’s willing to stick around for a few days. I’m not sure he’s really ready to face this world again.”

They watched him until the first rays of dawn started coming through the windows. Each had taken turns dozing. Sam got ready for work. He left after kissing Beth, taking coffee with him and the blood sample he needed to drop off. He was as anxious as Beth to find out what kind of drugs might have been given to the man.

Sam walked into his office. Strolled over to the phone and called Beth. “Hi , Angie said she’ll have the results by the time I’m ready to head home. … What? … Yes, she’s here.” he looked over at his assistant. ”Amy, Beth wants to know if you’ve started having any contractions.”

“Nah Sheriff, tell her I’m good. Mom thinks I have a few more days at least.” Amy carefully raised herself out of the chair and waddled to the water container.

“Just you be sure, Amy. You’re not having that baby here, you hear.” Sam said looking at her cautiously. “Beth, she says she’s fine.” he listened to her then said quietly into the phone.” I’m sorry... but she looks ready to pop if you ask me.” he walked out of Amy’s hearing range and asked.”How is he? Did he wake up yet?... Okay. Call me if he does, if he gives you a name or something. It never occurred to me to take some fingerprints last night. I’ll bring a kit home tonight. I love you. Hey, keep an eye out for strangers.”
 
Sam ended the call and went to see what was on his roster for the day. Being a small town Sheriff had its perks. One being he could make his own schedule. Sam sat down at his computer and started going through the weekly wanted posters. He breathed a sigh of relief when he didn’t see his house guest among them. Beth had gotten a little mad when he had mentioned fingerprints but it was the quickest way to finding out something about the man.

Beth hung up the phone. “Damn it Sam, why do you always think the worst.” she was irritated but she knew deep in her heart he was right. He was just trying to get a lead on the guy. She walked back into her office and found herself face to face with two sharp hazel eyes. She stopped and took a step back. She was surprised he was on his feet although he was none to steady.

“Where am I?”

She smiled. “Take it easy. You might want to sit down before you fall down.”

He blinked and frowned. He shook his head trying to clear his thoughts. That proved to be a mistake and he started to loose his balance.

Beth moved instinctively, righted him and guided him back down on the bed. “You’re in my home. I’m Dr. Beth Clayton and my husband found you and brought you to me for care. What’s your name? We couldn’t find any ID.”

“I....I’m not sure?” he looked strickened. He looked down and saw the bandages around his wrists. “Oh god, what happened? Did I try to kill myself?”

He looked at her pleading for some explanation that would make sense to him.

“No, listen, it was nothing like that. Your wrists were burned. Do you remember anything?” She watched his eyes as he looked around trying to take in his surroundings and clear his thoughts.

“I remember running, it was raining.” he paused. Come on think. There‘s more, being chased. “They were after me. I had to get away.”

“Who? Who was after you?”

He tried, but it was a blank. He began to shiver. He drew the blanket up around him. “I don’t know. It’s cold in here.”

Beth felt his forehead, he was running a fever. She had been afraid of that. “Lay down, I’ll get you another blanket. You have an infection from your wrists.” he didn’t protest but laid back down, curling on his side under the blankets like a child.

He laid there and watched her as she grabbed another blanket and covered him. He remembered being a child sick with fever and his mother had covered him the same way. “Thank you.”

Beth looked at him and smiled. “It’s nothing. I wish we knew your name.”

She was nice and she reminded him of someone he trusted. A face flashed through his mind. She was older than him but they were siblings. Her name, come on you know it. Vicki! yes. The doctor reminded him of Vicki. But who was he? I have a daughter, her name is Starr, Starr has a mother, Her name is Blair. Blair was my wife. Starr has a father his name is....he closed his eyes. Think,...Starr has a father his name is..Todd that’s it. “My name is Todd.”

Beth looked startled. “What did you say?”

“My name is Todd.” This time he said it with gusto. “That’s me, I’m me. I’m Todd.”

“Pleased to meet you Todd,” she said, with tears in her eyes.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!