WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, September 3, 2012

Dance with the Devil: Chapter 73

Chapter 73

Todd Manning had never been real big on rules.  That was why when he had been moved out of ICU later he had asked his nurse to look the other way and let Blair, Starr and Jack stay in the room the night.  Liz was by now aware of his charm tactics and agreed, since the room he was in was larger than the standard rooms.  So, as it got late, Jack and Starr grabbed chairs and put their feet up on a window sill while Blair managed to fit herself on the bed next to Todd.  This was how Viki and Tina found the family the next morning.

“Will you look at them,” Tina said with a smile.  “They all looks so cute!”

Viki smiled as she walked up to the bed and gentle nudged her brother.  “Good morning Todd.  Feeling any better?”  He opened his eyes and mumbled something at her.  Then he turned to Blair and saw her slowly awaken.  

Blair looked up bleary-eyed at Viki.  “Oh, I must have fallen asleep here last night!” she said, trying to act innocent.

Viki smirked at her.  “Yes, that’s why Nurse Webber gave me that winking smile when I walked past the nurses station this morning,” she replied.

Tina had roused both of the kids and they all gathered around the bed.  “How are you feeling this morning, Todd?” the redhead asked.

“Well, Tina, I was in the middle of a very…stimulating dream until some people had to come and wake me from it,” he told her, his eyes sliding to Blair, who blushed. 

“Dad, please!” Starr exclaimed, her hand going to her ears. 

Todd chuckled.  He did enjoy teasing his family with inappropriate comments.  “Fine, I’ll tell you.  With Blair falling asleep next to me last night, I could fell the weight of her on my legs.  So, I am doing better.”  He looked around, but just saw his sisters.  “We’re my evil twin?”

Viki threw Tina a look, but Todd didn’t seem to notice it.  “Ah, he went to keep an eye on Manning Enterprises.  Said something about an agreement you two worked out for his to run it while you’re recovering.”

“Yeah, I figured I’d better get well soon, so I have the strength to take  him apart when the time comes,” Todd said.

“Or, here’s another idea,” Viki offered.  “You can come to an agreement about managing the inheritance.  I’m sure that was what was intended for it in the first place.”

Todd chose to ignore his sister’s statement.  Changing the topic he asked, “Where’s Victor the Third?”

“The baby’s back at your house,” Viki replied.  “When we left here last night, we picked up some things for him and he was still asleep when I left to come here.  Danie and Sam are being good older siblings and watching over him.”

“Victor also said he was going to have the baby’s name changed when they were able to free Tea,” Tina piped in. 

“I can understand that sentiment.  I sure as hell am glad I’m not named Victor Lord,” Todd commented, then looked at his eldest sister.  “Sorry, sis.”

“Well, I understand why you feel that way.  Victor certainly shares it.  That’s why he wants to change the baby’s name,” Viki said.  “Now, about you.  Have you spoken to the doctors?”

Just them, Danny Wolek walked into the room.  He smiled at the assembled family that was there.  “Hello Aunt Viki, Tina.  How are you feeling today, Todd?” he asked.

“Like I’m being pecked to death by the mother hens,” he said, pointing to Viki and Tina.  “Seriously, I really would like to get out of here, like, now.”

“Well, I‘m here to tell you, you’ll be taken down to the physical therapy room and we’ll see how well you do in there.  From that, we’ll get a workout plan in place for you.”  A nurse same in with a wheelchair and Todd was put in it and wheeled away. 

When he left, Blair hung back with Viki as the kids followed their father.  “What’s really going on with Victor?” she asked.

“He got a call last night from Helena Cassadine.  She wants to meet him in Llanview today at two, at the cemetery.  He went back with John McBain last night and they are going to come up with a plan to rescue Tea,” Viki explained. 

“You didn’t tell Todd that,” she noticed.

“Victor doesn’t want Todd to know and I agree with him.  Todd is feeling a tremendous amount of guilt about this entire situation, which he should.  But with his recovery, I don’t want him to be burdened any more,” Viki said.

The two women made their way down to the PT room to find Tina, Starr and Jack there with Carly Jacks. Todd was on a mat on the floor.  The blonde was exercising Todd’s legs, stretching them out and back.  “Okay, how does that feel?” she asked.

“Hurts like hell,” he replied, a wince on his face.  “Haven’t felt this much pain since my football days.  But I’ll take the pain.  Least I know I have feeling down there.” 

After doing that for a few minutes, Todd got back into his chair and wheeled himself to a set of parallel bars.  “Now, I want you to lift yourself up onto the bars when I tell you,” Carly ordered.  “Blair, why don’t you stand at the other end and Jack and Starr, you two go on either side of your dad.”  With everyone in position, Carly then said.  “Todd, when you’re standing, I’m going to pull the chair away a little.  Now, try standing.”  Todd looked as Blair as he pushed himself off the chair and gripped the bars.  “That’s good, Todd., that’s good.  You want to try taking a step?”

Still looking at Blair, Todd nodded.  Without even being told, he took one step, then another, then another towards Blair.  His kids took the  steps with him, ready to spring into action should their father fall.  Todd made his way down as Carly wheeled the chair behind him.

“That’s it, Todd,” Blair said softly.  She was reminded of Starr and Jack when they were learning to walk.  With each step they took, she would hold her breath, waiting and watching.

“Come on, dad,” Starr said, encouraging him as he moved. 

Jack watched him, eagle-eyed.  “You’re doing it, Dad!  Come on, one more step.”

Finally, Todd reached the end of the bars.  He looked at Blair and, as he reached out for her, collapsed into her arms.  Blair managed to brace him as he fell and held him up as Carly scooted the chair over to him.  Once he was sitting down again, he smiled.  “Look ma, not hands.”  The family all laughed as Todd and Blair kissed.  When they parted, he said, “Now we can start planning that wedding.”

In Llanview, John and Victor were sitting in the cop’s office at the station, going over the final plan with a few other officers.  Victor hung back, staring at a picture he had found the night before at Llanfair.  It was of him and Tea on their wedding day.  He was still looking at it when his phone rang.  He noticed the number and alerted John.  “Where is my wife?” Victor asked as a way of answering.

“She’s with me, Mr. Lord.  And you will get her back, if you follow my instructions,” Helena replied.  When she was met with silence, the conversation continued.  “You were given control of Manning Enterprises by your poor, paralyzed brother, Todd Manning, correct?  With carte blanche power?”

“Yes,” Victor replied, his mind working to figure out what she wanted.  “You want Manning Enterprises?  What are you going to do with a newspaper and a few magazines?  I don’t see you as a football fan.”

“Those assets are worth a great deal of money when separated,” Helena said.  “Nearly one hundred million dollars.  I told you there would be a price to be paid and that is it.  Since you failed to bring me my great-grandson, I will take your brother’s company instead.  And don‘t worry.  I have a lawyer here to draw up the paperwork.”  With that, the call ended.

John looked at Victor when he hung up his end.  “You have the power to sign over those assets?”

“Yeah, I have an agreement with Todd.  He gave me the power before he went into surgery,”  Victor replied, leaning against the desk.  “And I guess the lawyer she mentioned is Tea.  Which means they’ll be ironclad.”  He thought about it for a minute.  “It’s a risk I’ll have to take to get Tea back.”

“Okay then.  It’s almost two.  Lets get into position.  We all know the drill,” John said, coming off like some corny sports coach. 

They headed to the cemetery and Victor waited by the place were the crypt had been.  Viki had it dismantled after Jessica’s bought of DID in 2008.  Most of the remains had been reburied right on that very spot, with the exception of one.  Victor Lord’s grave was clear on the other side of the cemetery, away from the rest of his family.  He looked around again and saw the spot where Joe Riley and Ben Davidson were buried.  Then he noticed one other grave.  Walking over, he stared at his name on the tombstone.  A shiver ran down his spine.  Here it was, the evidence of the lie that his family, especially his brother, had been told about him.

“Yes, it is disconcerting to see your name in a place like this,” a voice  told him.  He turned around to see Helena Cassadine standing behind him, alone.  “I remember when I needed to put my beloved Stavros’ name in stone, even as I worked to have him nursed back from the grave.  No parent should have to bury a child.”

If Victor hadn’t known how sick and twisted this woman was, he would have felt sorry for her.  But he had come to learn the about her and all he felt was disgust.  “Where is Tea?” he asked.

A menacing-looking man approached with a briefcase which was handed to Helena.  “First things first, Mr. Lord.”  She opened it up and took out a legal document.  Closing the briefcase, she handed it to him to use as a desk and gave him a pen.  “For you to sign.”

“I’m not signing anything until you tell me where my wife is,” Victor stated firmly. 

“She is here.  Once you sign these handing me over Manning Enterprises, I will tell you can find her,” Helena said.

Victor took the paperwork and turned away from her.  He perused it, trying to buy time for McBain’s men, who were scouring the cemetery.  At last, he heard the signal and turned back to Helena.  “No, Mrs. Cassadine, no deal,” he told her quietly

All of a sudden, shouts of “Freeze!” could be heard from every direction.  McBain came forward, gun in hand.  “Helena Cassadine, I’m placing you under arrest.  Hands where I can see them!”

Helen looked towards Victor.  “I see you still can’t keep your part of the bargain.  You’ll soon learn the consequences for that.”

Victor’s eyes went wide and he began running around the cemetery, shouting for Tea.  At last, over by Victor Lord’s plot, he saw a lot of activity.  “Tea!” he shouted as he ran.  When he reached it, the cops and paramedics were there.  He tried to get to Tea, but was held back by a number of police officers.  “Let me get to my wife, damn it!  Let me go!” he shouted as he desperately tried to break free and get to her.  “Tea. NO!”      
  
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!