WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, September 24, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 18

"We can take off now, I'll explain more when we get settled somewhere," John said.


"We're not leaving?"  Todd asked, still with his hand in Blair's hair.


"No.  Something came up.  I think it will interest you on some level."


Todd was satisfied to leave it at that for the moment.  He said, "I'm worried about Blair, even though I'm sure she will be okay."


"She will be.  She has a lot of support.  You said it's been happening less."


"Yeah, the real grief is starting to fade, I think.  I don't think either of us will really get over it, though."


"You wanted another child."


"We did.  I would have taken as many as we could pop out before it was too late."


"Is that definite?"


"What's definite in this sick world?  Nothing seems to be," he said, looking back to her.


"Except you and Blair.  Right?  Isn't that what you are thinking?"


He nodded, and scanned out the window.  "What about that place, right there?  Seems nice enough."  He said, pointing to a huge hotel and spa situated in the center of the picturesque fishing village the residents called Pollonia.


John laughed to himself, "Nice enough.  That's a five-star, luxury hotel."


"Right."  Todd signaled the driver to pull in, and gently lifted Blair's head off his lap.  He said, "Babe, we're here.  Going to have a nice rest."


She seemed almost to have forgotten what transpired, and looked at him, rubbing one eye.  "All right, if you want to.  Hi, John."


"Hey, Blair."


"I fell asleep, after that horrible thing at the orphanage.  God."  She seemed wistful.


Todd rubbed her shoulders, "No more of that now, all right?"


"I'm fine, Todd."  She felt tired and emotionally drained, but she would not let it hinder her.  She knew that whenever his guard was down, the memories of Bitsy were bound to make a return appearance.  She had to be ready and more than that, she wanted to be there for him.  She continued, "I just got caught up in it.  It reminded me so much of what we had been through."


"I know, me too."


"I know it's behind us, it's just difficult sometimes.  But I'm fine, really."


They made their way into the building, and Todd booked two suites, at a very high price, for the night.  He also booked a  massage, facial, manicure, and pedicure for Blair.  She said, "Gee, I'll be busy almost all day!  When will I spend time with you?"


He kissed her, "Tonight, but first go and get an outfit or two at the hotel shopping court.  Get something nice to wear to dinner."  He called after her and she waved him off.  Looking back to John, Todd said, "All right, that ought to keep her engaged and occupied for a while."


"Yeah, you spared no expense."


"Jealous?  They still have room for a mani-pedi."


"No thanks, just had mine done."  John quipped.  "This might be a good time for me to fill you in on the rest of this."  John said.


Todd offered, "Let's check in, and I'll meet you in the lobby in about an hour or longer.  I need a nap."


"Good.  I'll be there."  John said.  John walked to the staircase and turned back a minute to give a small wave.  Todd raised his hand in reciprocity.  The guy is treating me like a human being.


He finished paying the bill, set up a fax number for his room, and headed to the stairs as well, since the old-fashioned elevator seemed to be very busy with a small line forming.  There were not many levels to Melian, but it was stunning, in all white against the very blue of the sea.  He made sure that he and Blair had the Honeymoon Suite, and were sitting right against the oceanside, with a pristine balcony that almost touched the water.  John's room was similarly elegant, but more on the rugged end; he had done his research in the few minutes at the desk with the curator.  Of course, he had failed to mention the private massage he had purchased for John, that would be arriving just about then.


Up in their room, he was not napping, though he had used it as an excuse to keep John detained to receive the massage.  He pulled out his tablet, and began to work.  He researched everything he could find about Cepov tou Paidiou, Orinia, Thaddeus, and Pollonia.  Not much came to his attention of any real value; similar stories of those they had already heard were broadcast in various articles in the Greek press.  He attempted to dig as deep as he thought he could, and nothing about an unwed mother and granddaughter of a wealthy businessman surfaced.  He realized Andracus must have taken extremely careful pains to keep the information out of the papers and mainstream media.


He searched back further and found the articles surrounding the death of Orinia's mother.  The woman, petite and striking like her daughter, had been beaten so badly it took dental records to finally identify her, though the child, then nine, was present.  Found at the scene, Orinia was unresponsive.  Realizing that a tightness in his chest was a response to the all-too-familiar tale of woe, he stopped himself, and went out on the balcony to sit in the sun for a while.  On the platform overlooking the sea, the sun was brighter than his eyes could handle bouncing off the all-white surfaces.  The crystalline blue of the sea was matched in the tile surrounding the hot tub.  He touched his hand to the water, and thought of how they might make use of it later that night.


Sitting in a lounge chair, he changed his mind.  He and John could meet, right there, in the sun, have a few drinks and discuss whatever it was he had uncovered.  The guy wasn't so bad for a cop.  He could see, clearly, what his niece saw in John McBain; the heroic, stoic, sort of mysterious type that looked like he might be off the cover of a Gothic romance novel.  Given to few words, the man was a formidable one, and honest to a fault.  When he talked, it usually was something people wanted or needed to hear.  He never gabbed aimlessly; it was as if his verbal discourse was chosen carefully in each interaction.  Todd had really never met a man quite like John McBain before, and was pretty certain he would not again.  Having versed himself on the various noble actions he had taken in the past, including saving Marty a few times along the way, he saw him as the person he could have been if....


He heard noise in the other room, and got up to address it.  Blair was tossing a few bags onto the bed as he entered the room, and she said, "Oh my God!  Todd, this place is gorgeous!"


"Like you.  What's up, aren't you going to miss all your appointments?"


"I have time, I just wanted to come up here and freshen up a little, and put on my new lounging outfit."  She took out a sleek, yellow set and matching flip flops with a rhinestone-studded flower in the center.  "There."


"Perfect for spa-going."  He said, feigning knowledge of what would be worn to a spa.


"Yeah, isn't it?  What are you up to?"  She asked, looking over her shoulder as she readjusted the shoes, sitting on the edge of the bed.


"Meeting with John.  We're going over some stuff he uncovered."


"Did you find anything new?  I know you were probably wild at work, here, I see your tablet open."


"I didn't find much.  Just the articles about the original incident, you know, ten or so years back."


She went to him, and put her hand on his cheek, brushing against his scar with her thumb.  "Todd, don't.  It's going to be to close to home for you."


"I kinda figured that out, and gave it a rest for a while."


She kissed his lips briefly, and all he wanted to do was bury himself inside her and forget.  He watched her go, saying, "Have a good massage, but not that good.  Especially if it is a guy."


She smiled, over her shoulder, with her hair whirling back and forth.  She was beautiful, and said, "You never have anything to worry about, Mr. Manning.  I'll see you in a few hours."


Todd was rereading the day's headlines when he got a call on the room phone.  "Hello?"


"It's me."  John's voice was smoother, if possible.


"I thought maybe we could meet up here.  Atmosphere is key."  Todd said.


"Sure, I'll be right up.  What number?"


"The Honeymoon Suite.  Just ask at the desk."


"I"m sure that will go over well."  John said, hanging up.  Todd called room service and ordered up scotch for himself and beer for John.


Within a few moments, John was at the door, in a gray t-shirt and black slacks.  Todd said, "Wow, never seen you in that color before."


John said, "I turned over a new leaf, some woman came to my room, and well, the rest is history.  Thanks for hooking that up for me.  I think I needed a massage more than I thought."


"Don't mention it."


"I'm not even going to ask if you got one for yourself.  I know the answer, I'm pretty sure," John said, glancing at the tablet.


"Nah, I get my relaxation from work.  And Blair."


"I figured.  But thanks, anyway, it really gave me a new outlook on today."


Todd lead him outside to the rooftop sitting area.  The breeze was blowing enough to send both mens' hair whipping about their heads.  Todd nonchalantly took an elastic from his wrist and bound his hair back.  He offered one to John, who said, "No, I quit.  Last year.  Too many knots."


The chairs were set opposite each other, and the door rang just as Todd sat himself into his.  John said, "I'll get it," and went back through the bedroom.  He returned with a tray with the drinks and placed them down on the table.  He took his beer, "I assume this one is mine?"


"Yep.  I wanted to ply you with alcohol."


"Why, what's up?"


"I wanted to hear what you found out, it's been bugging me ever since you said it."


John sipped his beer.   "Called back Brody, and tried to trace where I'd heard that name Pollonia."


"Long lost girlfriend, I knew it.  Shouldn't drink and drive."  He downed the rest of the Scotch.


"Not something as simple as that.  I'd heard it when I was investigating Zeus, when you first came back to town."


Todd stopped, and listened more intently.  "I'll cut my heckling to a bare minimum for this."


"I remember Zeus naming Pollonia in one of my questioning sessions, it was early on.  He was kept in an orphanage there.  The name was nagging me, so I went and dug deeper.  Brody put me on to this idea, and I've been seeking out more info here and there.  I guess it dawned on me that Zeus could have been brought up in the same orphanage Thaddeus owns."


Todd looked out to the sea.  "Which would bring us more information about Carlo Hesser.  Which would bring up more about the things he's done.  Which would probably help Zeus find some kind of closure."


"Yeah, you could say all that."


"It wouldn't be a ridiculous coincident?"


"It would, but from what I've read about your life, who's counting?"  Todd laughed slightly at this, and continued to stare out into the sea.  John said, "Is Peter Manning alive, Todd?"


Todd wondered why McBain didn't just search that out as well.  "No.  He died of a heart attack in 1994.  He's definitely not alive."


"Then don't keep him there."  John said, pouring a bit more Scotch into Todd's glass, and taking a second beer from the ice bucket.


Todd said, "What about your father?  What kind of man was he?"


"Thomas McBain?  From what I remember, a good man.  My father died when I was a kid.  He was murdered."


"Sorry.  Tough break.  I can't say it's news to me, I've read everything I can about you."


"Really.  Interesting?"


"Somewhat.  At one point, I wasn't sure if you were there to bring me down or help me.  I had to know my enemies, in case you became one."


"And?"  John opened the door to this aspect of their interactions.


"I was wrong.  I don't like cops much, but I've never met one quite like you.  You're not quick to judge.  That's rare around Llanview.  Saved me from being burned at the stake."


John laughed.  "I try and do what's right, yeah."


"You're pretty by-the-book.  Usually, those people don't do well around me."


"I got a sense of that,"  John sipped more beer.


"So, what's next?  What are you planning to do about all this?"


"Nothing.  I wanted to give you the opportunity to stop me from opening this can of worms.  Truthfully, it might all lead to nothing.  And, it could lead to a whole story for Zeus that has not yet been told.  But, if it's going to cause you any more turmoil, I didn't want to proceed unless you wanted the door opened.  You've got enough on your plate right now."


Todd was stupefied that John McBain, a Llanview officer of the law, had stopped to consider his feelings.  "I'd never want to stop someone from finding the truth about his parents.  Not sure there's anything we could uncover about Carlo, at this point, that's worse than what I know, or what I've lived, or even what I've already thought of."


"Then, I'll proceed.  Thaddeus is grateful to us for returning Orinia.  He said he will help in any way he can to get to the bottom of the Zeus thing."


"Then it's a done deal.  Why not?"


"I wondered if you wanted in on it?  You've got the investigative skills down, lots of press access.  If you want to tag along, it might work out better for Zeus in the long run."


He stopped.  "You're asking me to work with you?"


"Yeah, why not?  Who knows more about Hesser and how his mind worked than you?"


"No one living, I guess."


"Well, think it over.  You aren't obligated.  It's totally up to you, but I could use the help, and LPD is not sending anyone anytime soon."  The detective stood, "Let me know what you decide."


Todd looked to the table between them.  "You going to finish your beer?"


"I suppose I could."


"Not really feeling the idea of falling asleep.  Not without Blair here.  I figure if you go, before she gets back, I'll end up dozing.  Not ready for that, alone, if you know what I mean.  Not after yesterday."  John sat back down, and Todd said, "But no pity.  I'm just saying, the company would be welcome."


John put the rest of the beer back into the ice bucket and sat back in the sun.  "I'd like to bring your niece here."


"I can see why.  Almost makes you forget what you're about."  He was referring to himself as he gazed off into the ocean.


"Expensive."


"Not a problem.  My treat, any time."


John didn't answer, but was not planning on taking that kind of money from Todd.  He reminded himself that this was the same man, albeit changed a great deal, who stole Blair's son, lied to Tea about a mental disorder to escape criminal charges and raped Marty Saybrooke.  He said instead, "She would love it here.  So would Liam."


"Yeah.  They would.  Got any pictures of the kid?"


"Sure." He opened his wallet and showed the latest images to Todd. "God this kid is cute.  Glad he didn't get your looks, McBain."


"Me too.  Too much facial hair for a young kid."


"He's beautiful.  And he's lucky.  Two good parents."


John looked off into the same sea that Todd was lost in.  "We try.  That's all parents can do."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too, love John in this story.

      Delete
    2. I always felt John had the potential to be a "friend" to Todd. Wish that was playing out, but it's my story so I can do what I like!

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!