WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 18

        The limo pulled up and Todd exited, instructing the driver to return in an hour.  He spotted Michael Corinthos walking towards the restaurant.  Could the shooter be working for Sonny Corinthos?  It was certainly a possibility.  It was time to start a list of possible enemies. The day was turning out worse than he had imagined.

          He entered Kelly’s and saw Blair.  For a moment time slowed.   She was the reason he was still there.  She didn’t even realize she had just saved his life again.  He knew.  He had originally called her from the dock to tell her goodbye, but the sound of her voice had reeled him back from the edge.  The session had been brutal.  He hadn’t expected Irene or what followed.  It had cut deep.  Inside, the wound was still festering, but Blair’s voice had managed to provide temporary relief from the pain.  She smiled at him and the pain inside eased just a little more.

        Blair jumped up when Todd came through the door.  She had been feeling apprehensive ever since his call, but seeing him, eased some of the tension.  There was something different about his appearance, it wasn’t a look he usually wore.  She walked to meet him, tucking her arm into his and drawing him toward the table. “Todd, thank God you’re here.  What kept you?  Is everything alright?”  His eyes met hers, and his love for her was there for all to see.  Ever since his return, Todd had been pretty clear about his feelings for her, she just hadn’t been listening at first.   She blushed under his gaze and then noted the bandage on his ear.  “Todd?  What happened to your...”

         He cut her off, planting a small kiss on her to distract her. “It’s nothing.  I’m sorry I didn’t get here sooner, I got waylaid by some business.”  He covered her hand with his and moved to sit her at the table. “Hi, Shorty, what’s on the menu?”

        “Oh, you know, all the usual fare at family Diners.  I heard Ruby’s famous chili is well liked and Michael says the BLT’s aren’t bad,”  replied Starr.  She spied Michael walking in.  Her eyes dropped quickly to the menu as soon as she realized she was staring at him.

        Todd frowned slightly, watching his daughter.  Oh, Starr, please don’t tell me you’re falling for that bozo.  That’s the last thing I need to worry about.  He looked over at Michael, who ignored them and headed for the counter.  Nah, you couldn’t be.  You’re too smart for that.  “So I’ve got a choice of some good ones.  I can’t remember when I last had some chili.  Hey, they both sound great. That’s what I’ll have.”

        Blair looked at Todd. “You’re kidding, right? You’re going to order both?”

       “Sure, why not.  I’m hungry.  So it looks like you bought out the stores around here.  Did you leave anything for the rest of the masses?”

        Starr smiled at her dad. “We left a few rags hanging.  If I’m going to stay here and work with Johnny Zacchara, I need more to wear than what’s in my suitcase.  I’m thinking of looking for a place to stay after lunch.”

       “Hold it, I thought you were just thinking of working with Zacchara.   You make it sound like it’s a done deal.” Todd looked at Blair who shrugged her shoulders. “When did all this happen?”

       “Umm, Johnny called last night and asked me to meet him in the lobby.  I wasn’t doing anything, so I did.  He explained how he wants to get out from under the stigma of his mob family and do something he can be proud of.   He wants to help me and help himself at the same time.  He contacted my sleazeball of a manager and talked him into letting go of my contract.”

       “I don’t like this.  If you wanted out of your contract with Rick why didn’t you say so?  I could have gotten it back from him.  What does Zacchara know about the music business?  Shoot, your mother would have been better than him."  Todd knew he was only making matters worse, but he didn’t want Starr going into business with someone connected to the mob.

         Starr had been waiting for this.  Everything happened so quickly she hadn’t had a chance to prepare her dad for another surprise. “Dad, stop!  I think Johnny’s sincere.  I know Mom has connections, but I want to do this without using your money or her connections.  I started this to get out on my own.  I’ve loved the experience so far, and I was so close to getting the record deal when everything happened.  I decided last night to give this thing with Johnny a chance if he could get my contract.  He called me this morning to tell me he had obtained it, and we could move ahead.  I don’t want you stopping this or bothering Johnny.  I love you but this is something I need to see through.”

         Todd met her eyes and knew he wouldn’t win.  When it came to his daughter, he was putty.  She had had that effect on him since he first held her.  He didn’t like the idea but he would have to live with it for now.  “You win, Shorty, but if he hurts you, or gets you involved in anything shady, he’ll answer to me.” He took a drink of water.  For the second time that day he wished he had something stronger to drink.

          Blair knew it was time to change the topic.  “Listen, let’s order.  I can’t believe how hungry I am.  Shopping always makes me famished.”  She reached across the table and touched Todd’s hand.  “Care to tell us what business you were up to this morning?”  She watched as a shadow seemed to fall across Todd’s face, and her stomach fluttered.  Her apprehension raised it’s head again.  Something had occurred that morning, and it hadn’t been good.

        Todd almost choked as the water tried to go down the wrong way.  Trust Blair to try and change the subject.  Unfortunately, her topic was even more unpalatable than Starr’s.  He could lie and tell her some off-beat story she would see through in an instant, or he could tell a half-truth.  “I wasn’t going to say anything until it was all settled, but it concerns what we talked about yesterday, Blair.  I’m buying property here.  My financial counselors think it’s a great move.”


Starr was puzzled.  “Why would you want property here?  Doesn’t The Sun and those holdings keep you occupied enough?”

          Todd looked at Blair and back to Starr.  “I can’t live in Llanview anymore.  I’m tired of being the town pariah and scapegoat for every crime still open.  Bo and Nora would like nothing better than to hang me for something else since they couldn’t put me away for Victor’s death. Viki still won’t talk to me, she just gives me these looks that say how disappointed in me she is.  Tea just lost Victor’s baby, and if I were home she’d be trying to bury me, blaming me for her son’s death too.  If you’re going to start fresh here, then so am I.”

         “But what about Mom and the boys?”

          Todd glanced at Blair.  “I asked her to move here, but she’s not ready to give me my answer yet.  I’m not pushing you, Babe.   I just have to do this for me.”  The waiter came over just then and the conversation came to a halt.

          Blair’s heart had sunk when she realized Todd was going through with his plan to relocate.   She needed to go home and have a discussion with the boys and Addie.  She couldn’t just move them without letting them know a little more about what was going on.  The big problem she faced was leaving Todd.  She was scared.  Todd’s moods and actions the last couple of days had her concerned.  She should have said something to Starr, but she knew Todd didn’t want Starr worrying about him.  The waiter left to put in their order. Starr was looking at her, waiting for an explanation.  “Don’t look at me like that, Starr.  I thought he was just thinking about it.  I had no idea he was already acting on it.  Todd, don’t you think you’re rushing things?”

         He didn’t know how to answer her.  That morning he had been all set to move on with his life.  When he had awakened, he had felt refreshed and ready to tackle something new.  The call to his advisors had just encouraged him to go forth with his plan.  A part of him wanted to begin again, with Blair at his side, but he felt like something else was pulling him another way.  He couldn’t define it but today’s events had just made it stronger.  Maybe it would be best if she did leave and go home to the boys.  What are you thinking? You know exactly what will happen if she leaves.  He had to stop thinking like that, Blair was waiting for an answer.  “I know I’m rushing things.  You know me, Blair.  I always take leaps.  Remember the Manning Building.  I don’t want you to leave, but I won’t pressure you to stay.  You need to do what’s best for Jack and Sam.”  He began eating.  If he said any more he’d be pathetic.  He needed both of his girls, but he wouldn’t beg.

            Starr felt like there was something going on and she was missing it.  Her mom was clearly worried about her dad; she heard it in her voice.  “I think Mom’s right.  Aren’t you rushing into this?  What will you do here?”

           “I’m buying the local paper for one, and a few other things besides.  There’s even something for you, Blair, if you want.”  He hadn’t had a chance to really see what Crimson was doing since Kate Howard had been arrested for knocking out her psychiatrist.  If the circulation was too bad he was pretty sure Blair could get it back up.  Thinking about Kate reminded him about Hope.  “This is off the subject, but I overheard something the other day.  It concerns Hope.”

          “Maybe now isn’t the time,” Blair spoke up.  She had just spent the entire morning keeping Starr from thinking about Hope. "What are you doing Todd?"  She kicked him under the table.

        "Hey," he frowned at Blair.  He knew she thought it was too soon.  Despite her glare, he forged ahead.  “I think she has a right to know.”  Todd didn’t want Starr to make any more tries at Sonny.  The man ran a mob.  If it hadn’t been for Kate, he would have let Starr go to jail without any qualms.

        “What is it?  What do you know about Hope?”  Starr looked from her mom to her dad.  “I have a right to know anything that concerns her.  Tell me.”

         "It happened the day before your trial.  Sonny Corinthos didn’t shoot out Anthony Zacchara’s tires.  I believe his girlfriend Kate did it.  Only this is where the story gets sticky.  It wasn’t her, but her alter, Connie.”

         “I don’t understand.  Why would Kate want to shoot out Anthony’s tires and what do you mean her 'alter'?”

         Todd continued.  “Kate has been seeing a psychiatrist for a while.  It turns out she appears to have DID and her alter Connie hates Sonny.  Connie wanted Sonny to go down for killing Anthony.  You, Hope and Cole just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

         Starr looked over at Michael. “That’s why Michael recanted.  He did it because Sonny asked him to.”

         Todd nodded. “I’m sorry, Shorty, you know what that disease can do.  I’d love to be able to take away your pain, but I can’t go after a sick woman, it wouldn’t be right.  You’re going to have to decide if you can let it go or not.”  Todd finished his food and noted that both Blair and Starr had left theirs unfinished.  Way to go, Todd,  just share your misery all around.    He reached for his phone to call the limo driver and realized he’d have to borrow another.  “Blair, I had a little accident with my cell phone, I dropped it and it busted. Let me use yours.  I need to check if the limo is here.  He can give you two a ride back to the Metro Court with your bags.”

           Blair handed him the phone, “What about you?  Aren’t you returning with us?”

           “I need a new phone, I think I spotted a phone store on the way here.  Just down a block or two.  Don’t worry I’ll be there when I finish.”  He made his call and sure enough, the limo was waiting outside.  Grabbing up a few of the bags, he left the money for their food and walked out.  Blair and Starr quickly gathered what was left and followed.




*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

  1. This story has so many bad guys it is hard to keep up. I hope you thin the herd soon.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!