WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, September 9, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 6

The next morning, Todd and Blair were alerted to a knock at the door of their hotel room.  Todd used the peep hole and said, "It's McBain."


Blair sat up in bed, and quickly took her robe and pulled it on.  Todd opened the door, and said, "Funny meeting you here."


"Yeah, I always wanted to be with you on the Greek islands."


"Likewise."


"Would you two like me to leave?"  Blair said, joining in.


John said, "Morning, Blair.  What's the latest?"


Todd answered, "MyFace.  Message from Jack.  Seems he chose to go off, wasn't kidnapped.  That's if this post to me is true and real."  Todd said.


"Pull that up, I'll want to see if there's a GPS location on the post.  Why would he go off on his own in Greece?"


"A Greekette."  Todd said.


"Oh," John said, "Hormones."


"At least he is saying he's all right, if it's him posting."  Blair said.


"John, I have to ask you," Todd prefaced, "Is it true that the rest of my, what should I call them, handlers?  Are they still in jail?  No one escaped or was let out, right?"


"Not that I've been told.  The latest roster shows them all intact.  I checked that before I boarded the plane.  I knew you'd be asking."


"Good detective work."  Todd said.


"Yeah, I have my moments.  Did you pull that up?"


"Yes, here it is."  Todd turned the laptop toward John.


John said, "The location feature was shut off.  He might not want to be found, at least yet.  He says he's all right.  I can bring the laptop to a friend of mine stationed here, maybe he can get an IP address for us."


Blair said, "That would be perfect."


Todd said, "I wanted to get the surveillance footage from the ship, and they're not giving it to me.  Any ideas, M.I.B?"


John lifted an eyebrow.  "Hey, I like black, what can I say?"


"Clearly."  Todd responded.


John added, "I can step in there, with the port authority, and force their hand."


"Let me come with you.  We can drop the laptop to your friend, and then head to the boat, together.  We don't have much time, the ship is set to leave port soon."  Todd said.


John nodded.  It was almost strange that Todd did not have to fight to get the permission to go along, and turned to Blair.  "That was easy."


She said, "I'll stay here in case he calls us, and spend the day with the boys."  Todd knew that was where she needed to be,


"Good plan," John said.  Looking at his watch, he added, "Manning, I'll be in the lobby.  You'll be ready in  . . .?"


"About 20 minutes, tops."


"See you then.  Bye, Blair."  John left, and Todd took her around the waist and said, "All right Mrs. Manning, I'll be on my way.  Man those phones."  He raced into the shower, and she caught the morning sun through the glass doors.


***


Jack and Orinia walked quietly into Limani and took a seat.  Both were very hungry, and they had some large decisions to make.  Sitting across from each other, they scanned the menu, and after ordering, she leaned forward, "I am afraid someone will find us."


"Someone will, eventually,"  he was thinking of his father, and pictured him coming through the door, and saying in that cool, calm but fierce voice, "Jack Manning, what are you doing?"


"Yes."  She agreed.  She looked around the room.  There were very few people.  It was early for lunch, but they had not eaten in quite a duration.


Jack said, "You want to make a decision.  I think we should call my Dad and get his help. I mean it.  I can't keep this up.  My mother just lost her baby, and I know how she gets.  If she's upset, my father will really be pissed."


"Perhaps you should go back without me."


He looked puzzled.  "I thought we were in this together?"


"We are, but not like this.  Your family means a lot to you.  I don't want to hurt your mother.  She must be so sad."


He thought for a moment, "She has been.  It's been a hard time for both of them.  Why did you choose me, Orinia, out of everyone?"


"I didn't really choose.  I was drawn to you, yes, because you were American.  I felt I could use you to get there.  I'm sorry to admit that."


He said, "Oh."


She quickly recovered, "But, after I got to know you, I realized that you were a wonderful boy.  I enjoy your company, Jahck.  And you're very handsome."


He perked up a little, then said, "So, what do you think?  Are you going to trust me? We can call my father.  He'll help you.  I know he will."


"I am afraid.  I want to be free, Jahck.  I want to go to America."


"Greece is not so bad," he said.  "I like it here.  It seems free enough."


"Not under my grandfather's roof."


"All right, but you have to trust me.  My father has money, and he's...as you asked, resourceful.  And, at least I let him know I'm not in trouble.  He probably would think I was kidnapped if I didn't MyFace him last night."


"Perhaps.  I will think about it over lunch."  In a few moments, the food arrived and they both ate in practical silence, getting every bite.  Jack paid the bill in cash this time, and they headed outdoors.  "What next?"


"I don't know," she said.  "Maybe a swim?"


"A swim?  I guess.  I only have these clothes, though."


"There's a shop.  You can buy swim trunks."


The two crossed the street and decided to purchase him new swim duds.  Jack, in the back of his mind, was wanting to contact Todd and Blair, but thought it wouldn't hurt for a bit longer to stay on the lam.  Something about it excited him, and being around Orinia wasn't half bad.  After purchasing the trunks and two beach towels, they headed to the shoreline.  Jack had never seen a beach like this one.  The sand was grey-white, and the water was in shades of turquoise and teal that he had never experienced.  They ran down the sand and throwing the towels, cast themselves into the water, which was cool but not freezing.  Splashing around, they enjoyed the sunlight and the surf.


***
After dropping the laptop at the home of the CIA friend that John had, Todd and McBain were on their way to the cruise ship to question the crew.  John said, "Manning, you're coming up in the world.  In the past, you would have tried to break in to the video room and get the footage yourself if you were told no."


"I did.  Blair stopped me, saying she couldn't take it if we were separated again, so I held back."


John rolled his eyes, "You're something."


"Yeah, but just what?"  Todd added.  The two sat in silence a bit.


John said, "You look tired.  Jet lag?"


"No."  In traditional Toddian style, he offered no detail.


"You need some rest.  You've got those kids and Blair to look after."


"You're fishing.  What do you want to know?  That I am still plagued by my past?"


John was surprised at Todd's direct hit.  "I don't know, is that what's up?"  Todd did not respond.  John continued, "Nightmares?"


Another nothingness from Todd.


"Remember Brody?"


"Who?"


"Brody.  The cop?"


"Yeah, kind of.  The short one, blue eyes?"


John laughed to himself, "Yeah that's him.  I'm all too familiar with PTSD and what it can do.  Seen it first hand often enough.  You've had nine years to develop a real solid case of it."


"What are you getting at?"


"I'm getting at the fact that you look like Hell, Manning.  You're visibly tired.  You're either not sleeping or not trying."


"I'm up a lot at night.  Night owl."


John said little more, except, "Ray Martino's not that busy."


Todd shot him a sideways glance.  "Is it helping anymore?  Ray's been great, but, I can't stop the dreams.  Like something's . . .trying to get out."


John swallowed.  The guy was opening up.  "Let it out, then.  Tough situation."


"Hard for Blair, too.  And the kids sometimes.  I scared the shit out of Sam the other night."  John didn't say anything, but nodded.  "Poor kid, he was afraid of me for a while."


"He doesn't want to see someone he loves hurt like that."  John added, looking to Todd for a minute.  "Sam's a good boy."


Todd had a momentary realization.  "You were married to Blair for a while.  I just remembered that.  When everyone thought that human piece of souvlaki was me."


John laughed despite the conversation.  "I've heard Zeus called a lot of things..."


"You took care of her.  I was jealous at first, but then I knew you took care of her."  He looked at John.  "Thanks for that.  She definitely needed it."


"She's a good woman.  But there's one thing about her no one can refute.  Things run very deep between you.  She loves you and only you.  Always has.  Even when she acts like she doesn't need you, she's empty without you.  Been there, done that."


He looked out the window.  It was hard to hear that he had out-played even McBain, the hero of Llanview, with Blair.  Why does she love me?  He was never able to understand it or explain it, even to himself.


John said, as if hearing his thoughts,  "Don't try and understand, Manning.  Just love her and protect her.  That's all."


The Crystal Serenity was parked in the harbor.  It's vastness was impressive against the other smaller boats in the area.  Parking, they got out of John's rental car and walked along the dock.  John said, "Maybe someone can help us solve this mystery.  I'm hoping we can get a picture of the girl you say he is with.  What exactly did he write?"


"He said," Todd accessed his phone and read, "'Dad, I'm okay.  I'm helping out a friend.  She's in trouble.  I'll talk soon.  I'm okay.  Tell Mom."


"Did you write back?"


"Not yet.  You know, I never even thought of it.  But I guess he could get the message, if he has his phone.  I just feel if he did, he would have called or texted me instead."


"Good thinking.  Write something back, see what happens."


Todd signed back in to MyFace on his phone.  Typing furiously with his thumbs, he then said, "Done."


"What did you write?"


"Get to the Athenian Hotel before I go seriously badass on ya."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!