WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, September 16, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 11

Todd's expression changed when he saw Orinia in person.  She was stunning, and looked perfect attached to his son's arm.  For a fleeting moment, he understood why his boy had made such a poor decision.  "You're the one who encouraged my son to run away," he said.


She looked down, and then back up, "Yes.  I am the one."


"I saw a photo and a video tape.  You put your hand out, and he took it.  I don't suppose you both thought of us, at home, and his little brother, waiting for him?"


"We did."  Jack said, "But it was important, Dad."


"Really?  Important?  Do you realize what this did to your mother?  It had better be a good one."


Blair said, "Are you hurt, either of you?  Have you slept, and eaten?"


"We're rested, thank you,"  the girl said.


"We're hungry though," Jack added.


Todd could not keep his strict stance.  "Let's go and get you both something to eat, then we can talk about this further."


They rounded the corner on foot to the Veropoulos Supermarket and went in.  After purchasing some items that each wanted, Todd directed all of them to a table out front.  All sat to eat their meal, and Todd, digging into a large sandwich, said, "So, what's the sob story to go with this brilliant decision, Jack?"


"She was in trouble.  She wanted to run away.  I didn't know what else to do, so I just went with her.  I wanted us to call you all along for help."


"That's true," she spoke up.  "He continually tried to contact you.  He dropped his phone in the water when we were at The Blue Caves."


"Yeah, and then, we were mugged, so I had no money.  That's when I went to the police."


"Mugged?"  Todd's ire was showing.


"Yeah, A guy we asked for directions from held a knife to her throat.  I gave him my wallet.  I just remembered you saying that money was replaceable."


"That was a smart move, but you put yourselves in harm's way doing this.  You should have come to us right away."  Todd said.  He took another bite and then said, "What's your name?"


"My name is Orinia, Mr. Mahnning."


"Orinia, are you pregnant?"


"Todd!"  Blair slapped his arm lightly.


To this, he said, "What?  I didn't do anything!"


Orinia smiled, in spite of the tense situation, and said, "You are just as Jahck described to me.  You are so in love."


"Her hitting me is love?"


"No, it's the rest of it.  The way you keep your hand on her back.  The way you open the doors for her, and the way you both look at each other, like there is no one else in the room."


Blair smiled, regardless of her anger at the teens.  Todd softened, "Well, enough of that.  What's the problem?"


"I had to run.  I am tired of being controlled by my grandfather.  He is overly protective of me.  I want to go to America.  I don't want to live here any longer, or marry some Greek boy they choose for me, and be a happy wife."


"This seems like something you can talk to your grandfather about, though."  Blair said, "Unless there is more."


Jack added, "He's like overly protective, really badly.  A lot has happened," he shot a glance at Orinia and she nodded.  "A lot of things that make him worry too much.  He wants to keep her safe, but at the same time, he is keeping her down.  He wants to control everything about her life."


"He does not mean harm," she added.  "I am sure he loves me.  But I will say, it's too much for me.  I want to be free, and I want to study in America.  This is why I stowed away on the boat and found Jahck.  I thought he could help me."


Todd said, "We'll help you talk to your grandfather.  I agree with Blair.  Why can't we all sit down and talk?"


"He's very protective.  He will be angry with me when I get back."


"That's what parents do," Blair said, "because it scares us so much when you are gone."


"Yes, that's true.  I am so sorry for that, for you.  What we caused.  And for your baby."


Hearing her reveal many details of their lives, Todd realized that this was not a passing fancy for his son.  "You know a lot about us, now you should probably share some things about yourself, so we can understand and maybe help."


Orinia nodded.  "All right.  My grandfather has reason to be afraid for me.  I've had a terrible childhood.  It was very hard.  Jahck tells me that you would understand."


Blair took Todd's hand under the table, and held it.  He stopped eating and said, "I would.  Jack's right."


Jack looked down at his plate and waited.  Orinia continued, "When I was a little girl, my mother was murdered, practically in front of me.  The killer was my father.  He was abusive to both of us.  I was nine when she died."


Todd felt uneasy, jittery, and Blair felt his hand tense.  He saw himself, a small boy, when Bitsy had left and the real pain started with Peter.  Then he had the undeniable feeling that he had to stop thinking of it, and his heart stopped skipping around in his chest.

Blair felt his hand tighten around hers, remembering her third foster home when she was nine years old.  Blair said, "Oh, we're so sorry, honey."


"I appreciate it, but I've done well getting past it.  My grandparents made sure I had everything, even therapists.  They paid for the best.  It helped me."


"They did the right thing," Todd finally spoke, "If someone had done that for me when I was that age, things would probably be different."


"I do not mean to bring any salt to your wounds, Mr. Mahnning.  Please forgive me if that is happening.  It's not intentional."


"Go on," he said, unceremoniously.


"He was a very abusive and sick man.  He did terrible things to my mother and I.  And one day, when he was determined to teach me a lesson, my mother intervened.  He beat her to death."


Todd closed his eyes after feeling the world spin.  His face greyed.  Jack said, "Dad, are you all right?"


He opened his eyes and ignored the pull of something dark in his mind, and said, "Yeah, I'm fine, Jack.  Orinia, go ahead and tell us the rest."  In truth, he felt sick, but continued to focus on the present and push away the remembering.


"Well, my grandparents took me in.  My father went to jail.  He has a life sentence.  I've never seen him again.  My grandfather is my legal guardian.  He makes many decisions for me, but I long to make my own.  He watches me every moment.  I feel stifled, and it is painful to be away from him, but I also must or I feel I will be trapped."


Blair said, "We will help you.  We will go with you and talk to him."


"No.  There is no talking to him.  He does not listen to reason, not where I am concerned.  We did have an argument, which prompted me to leave."


Blair thought to herself that she would later be able to convince the girl.  She said, "Come with us, then.  Come back to the Athenian Hotel with us, and we will think of what to do."


"I don't want to cause you trouble, Mrs. Mahnning.  You've been very kind, as has Jahck."


Todd said, "What's a few more days in Greece?  Blair's right, we'll help you out, however we can.  But it will be hard to do that without hearing your grandfather's side of the story."


"I cannot go back," Orinia said.  "I just cannot."


Todd ignored that, thinking there would be a way to change her mind, or else, he decided, he would go himself.  "All right.  Come back with us, then.  We can try and find a solution there.  You need some rest and a safe place to be while we figure it out.  You'll probably have to share a room with a matriarchal publisher and a nun, but other than that..."


Orinia smiled.  "I appreciate the kindness.  Thank you."


Jack looked up, "Thanks, Dad."


Todd understood fully what his son was feeling, and said, "No problem, Jahck."  He mocked, putting his hand on top of the boy's hair and ruffling it.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

8 comments:

  1. Awwww, how cute, love this, though the plot seems similar to what happened on OLTL with ugh Neela Patel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is I hated Neela Patel, really HATED her. I wanted Jack gay or bisexual and/or with Shane

      Delete
    2. First, Jack wasn't written gay or bisexual, and I don't think Cloud has written him that way either. Second, I REALLY don't think this story is like the Neela crap.

      Delete
    3. I know that, I just wish that happened on the actual show. But I love how Cloud has written Jack, I am seeing it's nothing like the Neela debacle, which makes me happy

      Delete
    4. Me too...I love the Orinia story right now.

      Delete
  2. from what I can see of what's posted ahead by Cloud in the next few chapters, it's nothing like that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! LOL. Let them sweat it out.

      Love you, tho.

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!