WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, September 22, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 16


In the midst of the sadness of the recent developments, Todd and John made their way to Viki's suite, and after sending Sister Rebecca Katherine to speak with Blair, they sat and talked to Orinia.


John began.  "We found out that you're not a teenage kid.  You could, feasibly, be up on charges for kidnapping a minor.  It's on video, you lured Jack off, he's not quite 17 years old."


She didn't respond.  Her face changed; they no longer saw the sweet, overly-concerned teenager.  Instead, they were staring into the face of a slightly-hardened young woman. "I see you've done your homework," she said.


Jack, who was standing listening, said, "How old are you?"


She looked up.  "I'm going to be twenty-one."


He was surprised.  In fact, most in the room were.  Viki said, "My goodness."


Todd said, "I wonder if everyone can sort of clear the room?  I'd like to talk to her myself, if that's okay."


John said, "I wouldn't suggest it."


Todd said, "Oh, you can stay, M.I.B."


John laughed to himself.  Viki said, "Jack, I'll take you to breakfast."


"I need to stay and hear this." Jack argued.


Todd said, "Jack."


Jack no longer put up the slightest argument and headed off with his aunt.  When alone, Todd said, "You can relax now.  No more putting on a show for my son."


"Most of that was what was necessary," she responded.


"Really?  Did you bother to think he could be developing feelings for you?  He's a boy, not quite a man.  You crossed a line."


"It's punishable by law, if you did anything physical to keep his attentions."  John said.


"Of course not.  I think he's a sweet kid.  And I am not a predator, Mr. Mahnning," she looked directly into Todd's face, with a steely glare.


"Touche, Ms. Andracus.  But, you must know by now, with your own experience being around this family, that neither am I.  In light of everything that's transpired, including you using my family to forward whatever your plans are, I want to help."

The young woman was visibly stunned.  "Help?  Help me?"


"Yeah, you.  I'm not so thrilled that you came into my family and messed with their heads.  But, there's always a reason.  So I am giving you a chance to tell me what that reason is.  What is it that brought you to the point where you would use my son, my family and me?  What happened with your grandfather?"


Just then, Little Ray began to cry.  Todd turned his head toward the sound, and then went to stand and Orinia was out of the chair before he was.  At first alarmed, John reached inside his black jacket and place his hand on his gun, but Todd, watching her, held up his hand to stop him, and followed her.  When he walked into Ray's room, Orinia had already taken him from his crib and was holding and cuddling him.  She looked up from his little face and said, "My very best friend, this little one.  Raymond Mahnning...you are one sweet boy."


Something stirred in Todd that he was not sure how to define, but he took a chance.  "Orinia, do you have any children?"


She looked at Ray, as if ignoring Todd, and then looked back at him and said, "I do.  I have a son.  Now perhaps you'll understand my story."


***


Blair and Sister Rebecca Katherine had just finished their cup of tea, made in John's coffee pot in his room, and cleaned up the area.  "I need to go back to the suite,"  Blair said, "and help Todd.  He might need my support."


"That's as good an idea as any, dear.  I'd suggest we do that and quickly.  They'll be off soon to take her back to her home."


"If he can convince her.  Twenty-one?  I'd never place her a day over fifteen."


"Perhaps emotionally, she's still a child.  She's so slight and feathery, she passes for 15 or so,"  the nun said.


Back in the suite, Orinia was still holding Ray.  She gave him his pacifier, and then said, "I was fifteen when I got pregnant.  He would be about five now."


Todd's ire was up.  "Was your grandfather involved in this?  Did he ever hurt you?"


"Not like that.  That was my father's job.  He was the master of hurt."


"I've known someone like that.  It's very difficult."  Todd shoved down his recent memories, and swallowed.  "But why run from your grandfather?  You said he didn't hurt you like that, what did he do?"


"He forced me to give my baby up.  Someone out there has him.  Can you imagine, Mr. Mahnning?  This little boy out there with strangers?  In someone else's care?"


Leona's grin was devouring his face, as he held the knife to Blair, her white gown bloody and torn, and taunted Todd.  His laughed echoed through the room.  "I've got my skinner in my hand, pointed at your baby son, are you sure you want to go there?  Ask your wife how fast I am with my blade, if you don't remember yourself."


"I can understand that, yes."


"My grandfather wanted it gone from our lives.  He did not want me to be a young parent.  He had me give up the baby and allowed him to be adopted by someone.  Since he owns the orphanage, it was not difficult to have done.  I was underage, of course, and had no say.  Since I've been eighteen, I've been searching for a way to get my child back.  I discovered that he was most likely given to an American couple.  Therefore, I decided to go to America.  And Jack, he was my ticket.  I saw him with a credit card on the cruise, saw the woman he was with, got his name, looked him up on the internet, and found he had funds.  My intent was to use him, the best I could, to get safe passage to the United States.  My grandfather is wealthy, and has control over all of my assets until I am twenty-five.  I could not wait for my son to be ten to get him back, Mr. Mahnning."


"If you just asked..."


"Asked?  I've asked countless people for help and no one has helped me in almost three years.  This was the only way I could think of.  I just wanted in to the United States."


"What about the family that has your son?  They probably love him, they probably have raised him as their own."


"I realize that.  But it's no doing of mine.  I would have needed a lawyer, and would have found a way, no matter what it took."  She looked back to Little Ray.  "It's my baby, Mr. Mahnning, and he's out there."


Todd nodded.  Then he said, "What happened when you were fifteen?"


"Stupid mistake.  Like many young girls."


He thought of Starr and beautiful Hope, and how he would never change a thing.  "I understand.  And for what it's worth, I am sorry about what happened to you."


"I know you are.   Don't spend too much time with it, Mr. Mahnning.  I don't.  If I did, it would take over my world."


At that moment, Blair and Sister Rebecca Katherine made their way into the suite.  Blair said, "Orinia?"


She handed Ray to Blair, "Hello, Mrs. Mahnning, Sister.  I am sorry for the deceit.  I felt I had no other recourse."


Blair handed Ray to his father and took the girl in her arms.  "Everyone does things that they may not be proud of.   We're very sorry for what you have been through."


The girl was choked up, for the first time since they had met her.  She said, "Thank you.  You're very kind, even after my actions were not very pleasant."


John said, "We'll bring you back, to your grandfather's.  If that is what you want."


"That is not what I want.  In reality, I want my child."


"Then there's only one thing we can do," Todd said.  "We have to go to Thaddeus and make him see the light.  He's got records, John can try and track the family."


Blair immediately picked up on what was happening.  "So that's why you ran away?  You've got a child out there?"


"Ah, yes, we should have known.  She's a natural."  The nun added.


"I am a natural because I've worked at the orphanage most of my life.  I love children and especially babies.  I want to be a pediatrician."


"Good goals.  But you may never have attained them if you stowed away illegallly."   John said.


She answered. "All I cared about was my son.  Finding him.  The rest would come later."


"Then, let's go.  We'll tag team him, he won't know what hit him." Todd said.


She smiled, "I wish it were that simple.  But Thaddeus Andracus is not a simple man.  Nothing about him is easy, and moreso since the death of my mother."


Todd tried to imagine Starr, murdered, and couldn't see anything but black.  "It's all right, we will help you."


"I am trusting that.  You are the first people I have trusted in a very long time."


"You can trust us to do our best to help you,"  Blair said.  She noticed that Todd was very quiet and just holding Ray and kissing the side of his son's head.  She went to him and stood next to them both, putting her arm through Todd's.


Orinia said, "I thank you, all, for doing this.  May I stay here and wait for you with Raymond while you make the arrangements?"


Todd looked at Blair, "Sure, you can relax with me.  The guys can go and handle all this," Blair said.


Sister Rebecca Katherine turned to Orinia and said, "Today we should count our blessings, and you, my dear, have been granted some indeed."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

  1. OK, Orinia is starting to win me over, just A LITTLE BIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see Orinia and her grandfather's sides and as a parent of an adopted child, I know the fear that a biological parent would appear and traumatize my and my child's life. I am so thankful that the law states that six months after adoption was finalized it became irreversible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you already know how it goes in this story, but I agree. So glad you're reading.

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!