WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Devil You Know: Chapter 2


Mornings as the Mannings were usually hectic, with three kids, a niece and a mother-in-law basically living under the same roof.  The family at last decided to hire help, hoping they would be able to run the household.  Todd tried to entice Nigel to leave his position at Llanfair, but he rather kindly refused.  Next, he offered the job to the Quartermaine maid, Alice, but she was still loyal to the family, despite their own craziness.  But it was Edward Quartermaine who recommended a butler and after tracking the him down, the Manning family hired Reginald Jennings for the position.  Todd immediately took a liking to the man, who offered his own brand of snide commentary to the goings-on in the household.  But he was also levelheaded and effective, even respectful of Todd and Blair.  He set the morning routine of bringing in the paper and the mail, dropping off Starr and Sarah’s at the gatehouse before depositing the rest on the foyer table.  Todd happened to be heading in for breakfast when Reginald was completing this task and he instead handed the envelopes to Todd, with the remark, “Looks like someone’s getting married.”

Todd looked at three thick envelopes with distinctive calligraphy.  One was address to Ms. Agatha Cramer, one to Master John Cramer Manning and guest and the last was to Mr. Todd Manning, Ms. Blair Cramer and Master Sam Manning.  Without even turning it over to see a return address, he knew who it was from.  “Viki, you really have to be so formal all the time?” he asked, more to himself then anyone else. 

Jack’s footsteps down the stairs broke his thought and he handed him his envelope as Blair and Sam followed.  At the table, Jack opened his as he ate, with Todd doing likewise.  Then, affecting a British accent, Todd read the invitation aloud.  “Mrs. Victoria Lord Davidson and Mr. Clinton Buchanan request the honor of your presence at their marriage the St. James Church, November the twenty-fourth, twenty-twelve, three pm, in Llanview Pennsylvania.”

“Mine says I can bring a guest.  Can I bring Molly?” his elder son asked.

“Can I bring one, too?” came Sam’s question.

Todd look from one son to the other and was about to make a comment when Starr and Sarah came in.  “Did you guys get invitations for Aunt Viki’s wedding?” his daughter asked.

“Yes, actually we were just discussion them,” Todd said. 

“Yeah, the invite said ‘and guest’, so I think I’ll see if Dillon wants to come,” Sarah said as she looked at her watch.  “Oh, gotta go.  Lulu, Johnny and I are having a meeting for the band schedule in a half-hour and I’m having dinner with Dillon tonight, so I doubt I’ll be home.”  She gave her uncle a quick kiss on his cheek and waved at the rest of the family as she walked out of the dining room.

Jack brought his attention to his father.  “You never answered my question.  Can I bring Molly to the wedding?”

Todd threw Blair a look and she merely shrugged her shoulders.  Then he answered at last, “Look, we’ve still got a few weeks till the big affair.  Let me talk to Ric and Alexis, see what they say.  If they’re okay with it…I don’t see why not,” Todd began as Jack smiled.  “But do not ask her yet.  I’m sure that neither of her parents will be totally thrilled with the idea.  Let me…negotiate.”  Then he turned to Sam.  “As for you, sorry buddy, but you’re a little too you.”

Sam sighed.  “When can I?”

“When you’re older,” Blair said, patting her youngest son on his back to soothe him. 

A horn could be heard, signaling the school ride for Sam and Jack.  They both left the table and the house.  Todd turned back to his first-born.  “Im guessing you’ll be bringing Michael,” he stated.  Starr offered him the devilish smile she had mastered since she was eight.  “Fine.  You’re an…adult.  I don’t see a reason why Michael can’t come to the wedding.”

Starr gave him a hug and whispered “Thank you” before she, too, left.  After she was gone, Blair raised an eyebrow to him.

“You handled that very well,” Blair commented to him.

“Yeah, well, when you come back after eight years away and find out you’re a grandfather, nothing really should faze you.  Even if your little girl is dating the son of a mobster,” he grumbled. 

Blair grew quiet.  “You know, this will be the first time since the funeral that she’ll be back in Llanview.  And it’ll be the first time since your trial.”

“Yep, back to Llanview.”  He turned to her as he asked, “You will protect me from the lunatics with pitchforks?”

Blair gave him her typical not funny look.  “It’s your sister’s wedding.  Please don’t screw it up for her.  I know how you really feel about her husband to be.”

Before he had a chance to respond, his phone rang.  “Well, speak of the devil.  Hello, sis.”

“Good morning Todd.  Listen, I was wondering if I could arrange a call with you later on today,” his sister asked from the other end.

“Isn’t that what we’re doing now?”

“I also need to speak with Tina but I would like to have you both in on the call.  Victor will also be on my end.  Can we arrange it for, say, eleven?” she asked.

Todd’s eyes went to the back of his head, causing Blair to be both curious and amused.  Finally, he answered, “Yeah, sure.  I don’t see a problem.  But you’re calling your lunatic sister.  And tell her to be there for ten to, sharp.” With that he ended the call and maneuvered his way out of the chair.  “Great, I was planning on meeting with Lansing this morning, but now, Viki wants a family chat.”

“Why did you want to talk with Ric?” she asked as they grabbed their coats and headed to Manning Enterprises.

As they headed to the office, Todd told her his plan.  “I know the statute of limitations probably ran out on this years ago, and I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner, but Peter screwed the Lord trustees for nearly seven years.  He was paid for my care to the tune of $1.4 million and I never saw a dime.  If possible, I want to sue for it, maybe set up a trust for Sam and Leo.  Put it to better use than his last girlfriend ever did.”

“You think anything can be done?  It’s been nearly twenty years,” Blair comments, touched at the thought of Todd even thinking of something like this for Sam and his baby nephew.

“That’s why I’m talking with my lawyer.  But now, with this conference call…” His voice trailed off.

“Any idea what it’s about?” came Blair’s next question.

“Hell if I know.”  By then, the were at Manning Enterprises.  Blair headed to her office and Todd arrived to find his assistant, Maxie Jones, waiting for him with a coffee and files.  He mumbled a thank you as the perky blonde spat out his schedule for the day.  When she finished, he said “Great, thanks and cancel it all.  Call Lansing and tell him to be here at one,.  And batten down the hatches.  Hurricane Tina’s about to make landfall in about an hour.”

Todd was slightly surprised when, about forty-five minutes later, he heard his perky blonde assistant greeting his equally-perky redheaded sister.  Groaning slightly he decided to fetch Tina for the call.  He then gave Maxie one of his typical menacing stares.  Unfortunately, it seemed to have little effect on her. 

Tina huffed when she was pushed through the door of his office.  “Why do you have to be so rude to everyone?”

Ignoring her question, he asked her one of his own.  “You have any idea what Viki wants to talk to us about that she couldn’t do in separate phone calls?”

“Must be something to do with the wedding,” his sister surmised.  “I got my invitation in the mail this morning.”

“Yeah, we all got ours.  I think Sarah mentioned bringing Dillon Quartermaine,” Todd said.

“Oh, he’s a lovely boy, but his mother is such a bitch!” Tina exclaimed as a call was buzzed in.

“Hello Todd.  Is Tina with you?” came Viki’s voice.

“Yes, Viki.  I’m here” Tina replied.

Todd could help but ask, “Is my evil twin with you?”

Tina tossed him a look, but Victor’s voice came through.  “You still going with that line?  Shouldn’t I call you the evil twin?”

Before they could continue with the debate, Viki stepped in.  “I hope you all got the wedding invitations today.  I have a request for all of you.”  She waited for a minute then began.  “Tina, I would like you to be my matron of honor.”

Tina’s expression melted and she gave Todd a sappy look before replying.  “Viki, of course I will.  But what about Natalie and Jessica?  Wouldn’t you want them to be co-matrons?”

“Well, Clint and I discussed it, and we talked to the children.  We all decided that Jessie, Natty, Kevin and Joey with be bridesmaids and groomsman, with Bo being the best man,” Viki explained.

Victor voice came up next.  “This is why you called me here?  To discuss your wedding?  I have a paper to run!” he said exasperatedly. 

“Run into the ground, more like it,” Todd said under his breath, before hearing a severe sounding “Victor!” coming from Viki. 

When things seemed to calm down in Llanview, Viki continued.  “And Todd and Victor,” Todd could picture the expression on Viki’s face as she said it, “I would like for you two to give me away.”  Viki was met by dead silence on the Port Charles end, and an openmouthed stare across from her.  It lasted a good two minutes.  “Well?” she asked, trying to prompt a response.

“Um, why us?  When you married your boy toy Ben, didn’t you have Kevy and Joe-Joe do that?” Todd asked.

Todd could see the grimace from Viki and it was mirrored in Tina’s face.  But Viki’s reply was with her usual measured patience.  “This time, I’m marrying their father and he would like the beside him.  I would like my brothers beside me.”

Todd’s eyes slid to Tina and she wore a superior smile.  Looking back at the phone, he asked,  “What do you think, Victor?”

“Well, Viki’s giving me this look, like almost pleading,” Victor replied.  He let out a sigh.  “If you’re game, then so am I, I guess.”

“Fine, yeah, I’ll do it,” Todd finally agreed. 

“Thank you, boys.  I’ll be sending you details in a day or so.  Tina, Todd, you all will have to be here a few days earlier, we’ll be making a weekend of it,” Viki said.  With that she thanked them all and ended the call.

Once the line went dead, Tina jumped up in her seat, excitement playing on her face.  “Oh, this is just wonderful,” she said as she leapt into Todd.  Embracing him, she ran out of the office, probably ready to plan the whole affair out from under their sister.

Todd looked at the phone and was conflicted.  On the one hand, he was appalled at being in the same room as Kevin.  The years hadn’t diminished their animosity.  On the other hand, he was truly touched that his sister wanted to include him in her event, no matter how much he disapproved of the groom.  Finally he gave into the later emotion, making a note for his own upcoming nuptials.   


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. So funny. I can picture the telephone conversation in my head and Tina jumping into Todd's lap and hugging him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, I wish we saw this onscreen

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!