WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, September 30, 2012

The End of Blame: Chapter 22

John hung up the phone from Zeus and said aloud, "Well, at least someone's headed for closure.  Wish I could say the same for Manning."  Zeus, in response to the information from John, had decided to come to Greece and meet with Agathangelos, even though he had no memory of her.  John suspected that brainwashing had a great deal to do with it, but decided the story would play out.  Zeus was a grown man, and would have to take whatever came his way.  Somehow, John thought, based on what he had already learned of Agathangelos, the ending would be a very pleasant one.


His next order of business was to pay a visit to The Mannings.  He sauntered to the honeymoon suite, now familiar with it, and knocked quietly.  He knocked a second time, hoping not to disturb them but also wanting to check on them.  Upon the second knock, the door pushed open.  Without his noticing, it had been left ajar.  This alarmed him to a certain degree, but he entered, gingerly, and passed through the bedroom, which was still unmade; the sheets were tousled and there was a box of tissue at the head of the bed by the pillows.  He continued, until he came upon them on the top deck.  They were in one lounge chair, she behind him, and him with his head against her middle, and she was stroking his hair.  They looked like any other, contented couple in the Grecian sun.  He said, "Sorry, I, uh..."


She ended his sentence, "No worries."


He said, "Todd?  What's up?"


Todd opened one eye.  "I've got my one-woman harem waiting on my every need."


John smirked, and said, "Not bad work, if you can get it."


Todd closed his eyes again, and John could see he was physically and emotionally tired.  He was shirtless, which was not a common thing for Todd Manning, and John's eyes could not help but rest on the scars and wounds.  He said, "I have some news about the Zeus thing."


Todd didn't open his eyes or move, he just said, "Spill it."


"He was there.  I met the woman who raised him.  He doesn't remember her, but she was like his mother for 18 years of his life."


Todd pushed out a sarcastic laugh and bitterly said,  "He doesn't remember her?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.  How could he?  They wiped his brain clean."


John swallowed and Blair, looking at John and then back to Todd, said, "He's overtired."


"Yeah, John, I'm overtired.  This was the first sleep longer than two hours I've had in weeks.  Now I feel spoiled, and I want more."


"I got it, Manning."  John said.


Blair added, "Ray called.  He's prescribing something called Topamax.  He thinks it might help.  It's proven to help people with nightmares sometimes."


"Sounds like a plan," John said.


Todd said, "I'll give it a try."


"Is there anything I can do?"  John said.


"No, not really," Todd said.  "I appreciate your concern, though."


"I think you ought to go back to Llanview, Todd.  I've got this."


Todd sat up, and said, "Nope.  This is about my life, too.  Do you know what it feels like thinking I started this whole thing with Hesser and Zeus?  That's one thing I could use taken off my back."


As he sat up, his back being exposed revealed more scars.  John fought to disengage from them, and said, "I can relate to that, seems logical.  But what about your family?"


"That is where I come in, Detective," a voice began from behind them, "and I'll be doing whatever is needed to take care of my boy."  It was Sister Rebecca Katherine.  "Now, let's get this meeting going, Jack can't care for those two hellions alone for very long."


"Sister, we.re reconsidering.  We want to send the boys back home.  Viki has not left yet, and we're thinking she can bring them."  Blair said.


"Of course, if that is what you want.  But what about you?  Both of ya can use a rest from all this."


"I can't go without him.  And he's not leaving.  I've tried."  Blair explained.


"Todd, you're being pig-headed again are ya?"  She said, then clasped her hands in prayer, "I'd hoped you would see the light in getting back to Llanview and Ray Martino."


"I can't go, Sister.  I have to hear the rest of the truth unfold about Zeus.  A day or two more won't change things all that much."  Todd said.


"Ah, yes, but will the days turn into weeks, my boy?"


"I hope not," he said.


Blair said, "We're trusting Addie will get them back to school and we're asking you to stay with Little Ray and us."


"You can trust this old granny to do anything you like.  But can ya trust yourselves to know when enough is enough?"


Todd said, "Ahh, that's a cinch!"


Blair playfully smacked the top of his head.  "Let's hope you listen to yourself, Mister.  You're just feeling good because you slept five hours without interruptions."


"You gave away my secret, Blair."


John said, "We should be able to close up the Zeus thing in a day or two at most.  Then, Todd and Blair can go back home and get back to their lives."


"I'll be all right, all of you.  I'm doing better.  See?"  he stood up, and made a muscle, "I'm in tip top shape."


In reality, he appeared to be thinner, and his face showed signs of extreme strain and exhaustion.  He became suddenly self-conscious and pulled on his t-shirt.  Sitting back down, he said, "John, can I get you a drink?"


John said, "No, I really should be going.  I just wanted to check on you guys.  Blair said you had a rough night."


"It was.  But I think it was a rough night after ten or fifteen rough nights.  That made it rougher.  Last night was only the dead baby dream.  Not quite as bad as the others."


John looked to Blair, and the nun, who all gave each other knowing glances.  John replied sarcastically, "Well, only that, then, you should be just great."


Todd said, "Nah, it's not great, not at all.  But nightmares are better than being dead.  Look, I know all of you are worried about me.  But I'm going to make it.  I'll see Ray as soon as we get home.  A little lack of sleep is not going to do me in.  Look what I've been through, and I'm still here to tell about it."


The nun said, "Just take care of yourself and don't push too hard.  Nap, if ya can, or rest.  When ya feel tired, try and sleep. And get this medication in ya, it's going to take a while to kick in, Lad."


"I gotcha.  Thanks, Sister."


John made his way to the door, and Sister Rebecca Katherine followed him with her eyes, saying, "If I were only twenty years younger."


Todd and Blair looked at each other and then back to the nun.  Rolling his eyes, Todd said, "Sister, thank you for helping."


She said, "Jack is going to want to stay.  You're set on him returning?"


"Yes, he has to go.  His junior year is starting."  Blair said.


"It's settled then, let me go roust the youngsters, and they'll be off and running tomorrow."


Blair said, "It won't be long.  Todd says we'll be home soon, and I need to be with him.  My place is beside him, he needs me right now."


Uncharacteristically, Todd was not arguing or putting up a fight about this.  He knew his sanity would be more fleeting without her.


Sister Rebecca Katherine hugged them both and then went on her way to get the boys ready.  They would depart later that day, in the private jet, pick up Viki and head for home.  Todd left instructions for the jet to fly back afterward and wait for them.


Blair said, "Todd, are you sure?"


"I'm sure.  Let's not talk about it anymore, okay?  A few more days, and we'll be home to Unforgettable."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!