WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, July 20, 2012

Dance with the Devil: Chapter 38


After Blair left, Todd decided to work from home and keep an eye on the boys.  Though Anna had assured him that the police would keep an eye on their property, he still had his long-held distrust for the authorities.  And, if Blair was worried about Heather showing up, so was he.  As he went over some layouts and articles, Jack wandered into the study.
 
“You’re not at the office today?” his son asked.
 
“No, your mom left for Llanview a while ago and I thought we guys could hang out together,” Todd said.  “You know, watch a scary movie, order in Chinese.  I’ll tell you, there’s one place here that makes the best dumplings.”
 
Jack actually smiled at him.  “Yeah, that would be great.”
 
“Okay, so go get your brother and I’ll see what’s on demand,” Todd replied.
 
Jack, however, didn’t move.  He thought now would be a good time to talk some things over with his father.  Instead of heading up to collect Sam, he sat down across from Todd instead.  “Before we have our guys night, I was wondering if we could have a talk.”
 
Todd could tell by his tone that whatever his son wanted to talk about was serious.  “Sure, we can have a talk,” came Todd’s cautious response.
 
Jack took a deep breath.  “There’s this girl that I’ve gotten to like,” he began.  “I’ve gotten to know her and she’s become a really good friend.  Well, last night, I kissed her and it was actually really good.”
 
Todd smiled, knowing the girl he was talking about.  He didn’t want to say anything, though, as he could see his son was unsure.  “I’ll offer you a measure of my experience.  Being friends with a woman is the best way to start a relationship.  Just look at your mom and me.”
 
“You and Mom were just friends?” Jack said in wonderment.
 
“Yeah, your mom was the only person in town who would be my friend.  She stood up for me and helped me out, got me to a hospital when I needed, took me sledding when I needed some fun.  We were friends for a few months before anything went to the next level, and that’s all I’m going to say on that topic,” Todd informed Jack.
 
His son chose his next words very carefully.  “She didn’t know about you…your past?”
 
Todd knew what he meant.  “The first night I met her was in Rodi’s.  After we commiserated over a few drinks, her purse fell off the bar and I offered to get it for her.  But she got to it first and saw the ankle tracker the court ordered me to wear.  That’s when she put two and two together.  I will tell you, she got out of there as fast as she could after that,” Todd concluded.  “But we began hanging out together and she began to see beyond the monster that I was.”
 
Jack cleared his throat.  “Did you really think you could…hurt Starr like…” Jack began, but found it difficult to continue with that line of questioning.
 
Todd, however, knew the conversation could turn in this particular direction.  He thought back to that night at Llanfair, and saw his sister’s face as she admitted the horrible truth to him.  “When you Aunt Viki told me what Victor did to her, my first reaction was ‘Like, father, like son.’”
 
Jack closed his eyes at his father’s answer.  He had expected it, in some way, but he still didn’t want to actually hear it.  The tragic part was, he knew that same darkness lurked in him, just like his father and his grandfather.
 
Todd could easily read Jack’s reactions to his words.  But Todd shook his head.  “Don’t ever think, for one minute, that you are cursed in the same way,” he admonished the teen.  “I’ve done that for all the years since I learned the truth.  And for all those years, my sister has told me the same thing.  She knows we’re not cursed because she has told me time and time again, whenever it reared it head at me, that I have felt the guilt for what I did.  It has eaten me up.  But Victor, my father, never felt an ounce of guilt for his crimes.”
 
Jack looked into his father’s eyes.  He wanted to believe every word Todd said.  But something was still eating at him.  “I’m just afraid I’ll do something that hurts her or scares her,” he finally admitted.
 
“From what I’ve seen of Molly Lansing, I think it takes a lot to scare her,” Todd said with laugh.  “When she came to see me in the hospital, she came right out and demanded I tell her why I took her sister’s baby.  Flat out demanded answers.  And she didn‘t look afraid of me.”
 
Jack let out his own laugh.  “You should see her family’s home in the harbor.  It looks like something out of a horror movie.”
 
After sharing a moment of silence, Todd told his son,  “If you can learn one lesson from me with regards to women, it’s this--be truthful.  Every screw-up I’ve made with your mother can be traced back to not being that to her.”  He patted his son’s knee.  “If you have any problems with Molly’s dad, Ric, come to me.  I kind of like the idea of you and his daughter.”  He wheeled back from the couch.  “Now, why don’t you go get Sam and
the take out menus and let’s get this guy’s night started.”
 
As the Manning men were hanging out, at the lakehouse, the Davis girls were doing their own version of relaxing.  Kristina was in her room, looking through her closet and listening to music while Alexis and Molly were in the den, Molly reading and her mother working.  One of the books Molly picked up was Lord of the Banner.  As she perused it, she walked over to the table.  “Mom?” she began.
 
“Yes, sweetie?” Alexis responded, even with her attention on her brief.
 
“Why would Uncle Stefan have this book in his library?” Molly asked.  “It’s about a publisher in Pennsylvania who died, like, forty years ago.”
 
Alexis looked up from her work and at the book.  She smiled at a memory of her brother.  As she took off her glasses, she took the book from her daughter.  “You have to understand something about my brother.  I know you have this vision of him as someone out of a gothic novel, but he was very manipulative and a master chess player.  And when he played, he was always five moves ahead of his opponent.”  She lift the biography higher for emphasis as she continued.  “This book was probably bought as recon, should the need arise.”
 
“He thought he may encounter the Lord family at some point and he wanted to be prepared.  It is a smart business tactic,” Molly reasoned.  “I was talking to Kate a few days ago and I saw she had a book about his daughter, Victoria.  She has the same condition as Kate, Disassociative Identity Disorder.”  She took the book back from Alexis.  “His son is Jack’s father, Todd Manning.”
 
Alexis nodded her head.  “Yes, I’m familiar with the family, even before the arrived in town.”  Alexis stood up and walked around the room, putting her next comment as gently as possible.  “Look, honey, I know you’ve befriended Jack, but I would really like it if you stayed away from him.”
 
“Mom!” she exclaimed.
 
Alexis stopped her.  “Molly, he’s caused some problems back in Llanview.  He bullied a boy to the point that he nearly killed himself, he caused the death of a woman.  I…I just don’t trust him.”
 
“You can’t make me not see him!”  Molly nearly shouted.  “You always say how we should give people a chance, not judge them by their past.  Look at how everyone always judged Uncle Stefan or how some people still blame Uncle Sonny for every crime that’s committed in Port Charles.  It’s not fair to do that to Jack.  Besides, we‘ll be starting school together at the end of the week and he won‘t know anyone but me.”
 
Alexis let out a sigh and thought for a minute.  “You’re right,” she said quietly.  After she gathered her thoughts, she continued.  “Fine, but if you two are going to be friends, we will be setting ground rules, is that understood?”
 
Molly let out a overly-dramatic sigh and left it at that.  “Would you at least consider meeting him before you decide the ground rules?”  she asked.
 
“I think that would be a good idea,” Alexis agreed, “but not today.  I have a lot of work to finish up.”
 
Molly nodded and took Lord of the Banner into her room with her.  Once she heard the bedroom door close, Alexis grabbed her phone.  She found the name she was looking for and put the call through.  When the other end picked up, she said in a rapidly-paced voice, “I need you to tell me what you know about Jack Manning and his family!”
 
Blair had made surprisingly good time getting back to Llanview.  When she walked into La Boulaie, her mother was there with bags packed, ready to go back with her.  “I’ve been so worried about you and the children.  I want to come up and help, at least for a little while,” she explained to her daughter.
 
Blair smiled and gave her mother a hug.  “That’s wonderful and I would like it if you came for a visit.  The kids will be so happy to see you.”
 
“I also want to have a little talk with Todd,” she continued.  “I know just how much he loves you, but so did Victor and he hurt you.  I never was able to kick his ass for that and I want assurances form Todd that he will never treat you as horribly as his brother.”
 
Blair patted her mother’s arm.  “I know just how much Todd loves me and for the first time in so very long, I’m secure in that love.”  She turned to go through the mail that was on the front table.  “But I would like you to just have a chat with him as well.”  She put down what she was looking at and headed for the door.  “Momma, we won’t be leaving until tomorrow, so I have an errand to run.  I’ll be back shortly.”  With that, she left again.
 
When she arrived at Tea’s she sat in the car, gathering her thoughts.  She had a lot to say to this woman, but she wanted to make sure she kept her temper as best as she could.  She made her way to the front door and rang the bell.  When no answer came, she continued to ring it.  Finally, the door opened and Tea, looking very haggard, stood on the other side.  “I’ve been expecting you.  I’m actually surprised it took you this long to get here.  Your broom in the shop?”
 
“I have a lot to say to you and for once, you have no leg to stand on.  So, if you’re so smart, you’d better keep your damn mouth shut and listen to me,” Blair threatened as she stormed inside.                    



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

  1. Great start to the Tea and Blair confrontation. Please let Blair shout out that Todd didn't kill Victor because he is alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with The dragon and the phoenix u should let Blair blurt of that victor is alive!! And then tea's reaction could be she faints!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the Jack/Todd and Molly/Alexis scenes... especially when they talk about one another

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!