WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 17

"Yay!  It's Halloween, It's Halloween, It's Halloween!"  Sam chanted, circling the kitchen.  Blair, in her Belle dress, was still frosting the pumpkin cookies.  


"Sponge Bob, please, I know you're excited but the yelling is getting to Mommy."


"Sorry, Mom!"  he ran out of the room, and continued to yell, "It's Halloween, It's Halloween, It's Halloween," and she heard it die off in the distance.


Todd was putting finishing touches on things, and walked into the kitchen, seemingly much calmer.  He was wearing the beast jacket, white ruffled ascot, and boots.  The mask was not on, but he hated wearing it, because it was so confining and hot.  She said, "My prince!"


He said, "Hey, Belle, let me ring you," and kissed her.  "Sorry about before," he said, grabbing a cookie and going.  He seemed all right, now.  She marveled at his resilience.    


By the time dark fell, all of the kids from Sam's class at school were arriving for the Haunted House.  Todd and Blair hadn't even seen Jack, he had left for his evening before they even got back from the city.  Everything was in its place.  Hope was smiling ear to ear, when she saw Belle and Beast dancing in the foyer.  Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme...


The whole event was turning out nicely.  Todd and Blair were the perfect hosts, the parents and kids were attending all of the games and events that Todd had set up, and there was food and drink for everyone, along with trick or treats and some fun scares.  


Blair turned to Todd, as the evening started to wind down, and said, "You made Little Sam's life complete tonight, Todd."  She kissed his cheek, "Thank you," she said, in her breathiness.  


"Well, he's your little boy, which means he's mine, too.  You know that."


He ran up to them and hugged Todd's legs.  "Dad, I love this party, it's the best party ever, and all my friends think you're cool."


"Well, I am cool, as long as I don't have my mask on."


Blair elbowed Todd, and Addie, who was dressed as Mrs. Potts, said, "This is wonderful!  The kids all love it.  I love it too, being a big kid myself,"  and she went off after Hope and Sam to the candy apple station.


Todd looked at Blair, who seemed a little tired, and said, "So, what exactly did the doctor say to you today, Blair?"


She was fortunate enough to be interrupted by a child, asking for a drink.  She said, "Excuse me a minute," and went off on her way to find a cup and some punch.  He looked after her, not pleased with what he was feeling.  


Shaun came into the room, and said, "Hey Todd.  Or is it beast?"  He was dressed as an oversized Michael Jackson.  


"Hey Shaun."


"Stop worrying, Todd, she's okay."


"Hmm?  I'm not worried, about her.  All right, I am.  But...I can't stop."


"She's okay, Todd.  You can see that, she looks as beautiful as ever."


"She does."  He stared off after her, watching her flit through the guests, her Belle gown moving smoothly, hoops and all.  She was his princess.


***


Patrick Thornhart parked his car in the parking lot of St. Anne's.  The area was desolate and quiet.  It was Halloween, and those that would have been visiting were out with children, trick or treating, or home with family watching Friday the 13th marathons.  He got out of his car, given to him by none other than Todd Manning, and walked toward the facility.  Warm lights glowed in the windows, and a nun greeted him at the desk.  "Hello, may I help you?"


"Yes, I'm here to see Marty Saybrooke."  He said.


"Yes, Mr. Thornhart, how are you this evening."  She remembered him from the day before.


"I'm fine.  How is she adjusting here?"


"She seems to be adjusting fine.  When you brought her yesterday, she seemed very calm."


"Wingdale was not for her, Sister."


"No, possibly not.  I am glad to see her coming around a bit.  I'll go get her."


He sat and waited.  The modest surroundings and nurturing atmosphere were what Margaret needed.  The nun returned, saying, "She's in the family room, through here."


"Thank you, Sister," he said.  Approaching her, he said, "Margaret?"


She turned and fell into his arms, "Patrick."


"It's all right.  How are you doing here?  Are you feeling better?"


"Yes, much better.  I've come a long way since you came to see me at Wingdale that first time.  Remember?"


"I do," he said, swallowing.  She had been...very sick.


"I have a long way to go, but Dr. Levin says I am making good progress."


"That's what I like to hear."


"I can't believe you came back."


"Well, I am here, darlin', no getting rid of me yet."


She broke, "I missed you.  I did terrible things..."


"Shhh, none of that now, it's going to only get better, Angel."


"Cole?  Have you seen him?"


"I did.  He is doing well, he sees his daughter every week, and Starr.  You mustn't worry about him.  If you do better, remember, Dr. Levin said you will be able to go and see him."


"I know, and I hope I can make it."


"You can."


"Tell me more, about the man who was pretending to be Todd,"  she said, her eyes becoming colder.  "the one who was brainwashed and isn't really Todd."


"I don't know more, Margaret, and it's not something you should be thinking about."


"But I want to know.  And I want to know about Todd, the real one.  You said you saved him, in Ireland.  What happened to him?"


"It's not a pretty story, Angel.  It's not something you should be ponderin.'"


She took his arm, tightly, and said, "Please?  I have to know."


"I can't go into it, Margaret, and please don't ask me to.  I can only tell you that what's happened to him...it's bad.  He's finally paid for his crimes.  He lost eight years of his life.  He was tormented, beaten, burned, shocked, tortured, and left for dead, twice.  He's paid."


She sat, absorbing his harsh words, "Then, that's it."


He was surprised by her response.  "Yes, that's it, Lass."


"Then there's nothing....nothing holding me tied to this hate.  For either of them."


He nodded, and put his arms around her, holding her as she cried.


***


After the families took their children home, Todd and Blair, now back to Mom and Dad, set up the movie room for the family to watch scary movies.  Todd made popcorn, and Blair brought out the leftover punch and cookies.  Sam, who had been eating candy all night, was bouncing all around, from couch to chair and back. "Hey buddy, sit down now, and stop jumping on the furniture."


"Okay, Dad.  Thanks for the party."  He sat down, but his legs were kicking and he was still moving. 


Blair said, "I told you not to let him hold his own trick or treat bag."  They all sat, getting comfortable for the movie.  It was approaching midnight, and Blair said, "Todd, I have a favor to ask you."


"Sure, babe, anything."


"I want you to take me on a midnight helicopter ride."


He looked at her in disbelief.  "You do?"


"Yes, I do.  It's good for practice hours for your license, right?"


"Yeah, I guess so.  You sure?"


"Yes, I really want to.  Please?"


"All right.  Let me see if Perzno is still up."  He took out his Android phone and texted.  Within a few minutes, he got the response back.  "Okay, he's making his way back to the house."


Overhearing, Starr said, "I've got the kids, it's fine, go ahead."


They made their way to the bedroom, where Blair turned to him near the glass-paned wall and said, "Todd Manning, you were the handsomest beast ever."


"Thanks, Belle."  He kissed her.  Well, what do you say?"


"Let's go."


The boarded, and Blair suddenly changed her mind, "I want you back here with me."


"All right, if it makes you feel better."  He climbed in next to her, and she put her head on his shoulder.  


"It's beautiful up here," she said, taking his hand.


"I know," he said, "like you."


"I know you love it up here."


"I do.  And when I am up here with you, it's even better."


"I know that...that's why I wanted to tell you something up here."


He didn't look at her.  "It's about the doctor, right?"


"Yeah, you could say that."


He looked out over their world.  The Manning building was looming in the distance.  Perzno yelled back, "To the MB?"


He said, "Just circle around a while."  His mouth had gone dry.


"Todd, look at me."


He did.  She could see in his eyes a great deal of fear.  "Why do you assume everything is bad news?"


"I'm not."


"We were past lying to each other a long time ago, about things like this."


He looked down, and then picked up her hand and kissed it.  "All right.  I am."


"This is not bad news, in fact, it's wonderful.  Todd, you and I made another Manning."


His face glossed over with relief, and he said, "You're going to have a baby?"


She nodded, with tears in her eyes.  "Yes.  She'll be here in June."


"June," he said, "A little Sunburst."


"Yes," she said.


He reached down and touched her face with both hands as he kissed her, the stars above, and the world sparkling below them.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

10 comments:

  1. Another great chapter! An another Manning on the way this time another little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally Todd gets some good news. And Patrick...damn right he's paid. Overpaid, IMO. The Mannings deserve a little happiness for a change. Just let them be, Marty. Get on with your life with Patrick and leave Todd the hell alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I sort of have a bad feeling about things....with Carlo around.

      Delete
    2. @vgerd and @Kim, you are both right. When writing Todd and Blair, there will always be a blend of both good news and misery, it's just the way they are. Stick with the books, I think you will see that the pain is usually worth it.

      Delete
  3. I love that Todd got some good news and I hope that Patrick and Marty can now peacefully co-exist as grandparents. They will never be friends but they can now hopefully be polite and civil with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will like where the book takes Patrick and Todd and Marty. As for the good news, remember, when Todd and Blair get good news, it's not always followed by peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always followed by peace? More like hardly ever. Check out the immediate aftermath of the GBW. Or the reunion after eight years of hell that Todd had worked and waited for for so long.

      Delete
    2. Let's just say that writing Todd, if understanding the character, will lend itself to things going wrong more often than not, and readers should expect that to continue through my books, and probably a great deal of the Todd books out there. The Fourth Life is Todd and Blair STILL dealing with fallout from the 8 years, which is how it should be. It should not have been swept under the rug, ignored, or pushed aside and barely mentioned.

      Of course, more things that Todd remembers about this time in captivity will be revealed and it will not be pretty, but it's part of his story to have constant struggles to be whole and find a way to keep surviving.

      So, brace yourselves.

      Delete
  5. I wonder where's Jack at? Other than that awesome chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!