WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 27

The week between Christmas and New Year's Eve zoomed by without warning.  The children were on their downswing after Christmas, Sam putting all of his new toys out in the playroom to play with them at once, Jack lounging and sleeping late, and Hope dressing up in her playsets and getting Todd to put on his beast jacket and play.


Blair watched all of this with a swell of both pride and fear.  In the past, whenever they had obtained that picket fence sort of calm, something had reared its head.  She was afraid to acknowledge it, verbally, or share it with him, because it would make it too real, but it was there, prevalent.  It filled her with a slight feeling of nausea that was overpowered, thankfully, by the happiness she received just looking at him playing with the children, or having a heart to heart with his son.


They had already decided that a quiet night at home was the choice for New Year's Eve, and Todd, not being a 'people-person' was fine with them staying in, alone.


Sam said, "Dad, remember on Christmas Eve, you went and got Timothy, and when he came over..."


"I know, Sam, he stumbled and fell in the foyer.  But I told you before, that's not really funny."


"Why? It seemed funny to me."


"Because he's older and when older people fall, we don't laugh at them."


"Oh."


"And I told you that before, Sam."


"Okay, Dad.  Sorry.  Is he really a lawyer?"


"Yeah, and It's all right.  Is that all you remember about Christmas?"


"No.  I liked when Timothy and Sister Becca Thrin were here for overnight.  That was fun."  He always said her name wrong, and Todd didn't correct it, because nicknames were his thing.  "Remember when we all woke up early, and you made everyone breakfast?"


"Yeah, I remember that.  My famous chocolate chip pancakes."


"Mom's favorite.  Then, Timothy came down the stairs grumpy.  He didn't want to eat.  But then, him and me were best friends, because I shared my bacon with him.  That was my favorite."


Todd love this little boy.  He was not focused on his gifts, instead, he was remembering the people and the things that bound them.  "It was?"


"Yeah.  Then we were best buddies from then on.  He was playing with me all day.  He took me outside, remember, Dad, and he showed me all the birds nests and the animals that were hiding out in the winter.  He was real nice.  Can he be my best friend?  Even though he used to be a lawyer?"


Todd teared up a little, and said, "You know, he needs a best friend.  I think that would be perfect."


"No one is my bestest friend more than you, Dad.  Okay?"


"Okay," he said.


"Does my real Dad have Christmas?  The one that made me?"


"Yeah, he does.  He had Christmas, I'm sure."


"That's good.  I liked Christmas Dad, especially the fun parts with all of us.  And when Sister Becca Thrin pretended to be boxing against Jack.  She woulda won, Dad."


"Oh, I can tell you from experience that she would have won."


"Dad, tell me that story, the one about the day that Ray was born.  I love that one, please?"


"Maybe later, Son.  Right now, I've got to go and do something."


Sam had inspired him, no matter how innocently, to get to the bottom of things where Timothy was concerned.  He headed for The Sun office, and Blair, who had been watching them intently, followed him.  "Be right back, Sam."


"Blair, you don't have to follow me, like I'm some kid who needs watching."


"That's not what I am doing.  I just don't want to be away from you, that's all."


"Now that I like," he said, turning to her and kissing her.  He sat at the desk and booted up the computer.  She took her place, aside his desk, her long legs crossed as she waited for his lead.  "I'm going to find out, once and for all, what's up with Timothy Broderick."


"You noticed, too?"


"He basically said it, without detail.  Something is very wrong.  I'm going to find out."


"Why this sudden urge to know?"  she pondered.


"So we can help him."


She smiled to herself, and watched.  She preferred him obsessing about positive things.  Then it came to her, she had forgotten to throw the knife away.  He has asked her to, and she forgot.  With all the commotion at Christmas Eve, with him going and getting Timothy and the Brodericks staying the night, it had slipped her mind.  She made a mental note to take care of it or at least ask him about it.


"It says here, he lost his brother in a raid between the RA21 and another group in Ireland."


"Well, we knew about that.  Is that what causes the trouble for him?"


"I don't think it's something he ignores, but I think there's more.  Something bigger.  I can just tell by the way he answered my questions."


"All right, then keep digging."


He examined what felt like hundreds of files of microfilm and records, until he finally found it.  "My God," he said.


Blair leaned forward, and he turned his monitor.  There was a photograph of a woman, very beautiful, with striking dark hair against light skin, and a boy, about Sam's age or a little younger, bespectacled and wearing a miniature suit.  The woman was wearing a short coat with fur around the collar and cuffs.  Todd said, "This was the 1970s." 


Underneath was the headline, 'Local Woman and Son Murdered in Underground Terrorist Bloodbath.'  


Blair's eyes found her husband's.  "Todd?"


"This is it.  His wife and son were killed.  Likely by The Men of 21."


"How likely is it that Hesser was involved then?"  Blair asked.


Todd said, "No way of knowing.  He was hanging out with Kathleen Finn then, could be around the same time.  No telling.  Maybe losing her pushed him over to the extreme, made him join up."


"Why Ireland?"


"They're based in both places, but think about it, Kathleen Finn?  That's as Irish as it gets, so is Katherine Dennison."


"There's more to this."


He agreed with her.  Printing the material to a pdf file, he saved and shut down the computer.  "No wonder he took a shine to Sam that way.  He lost his son."  Todd swallowed, and put out of his mind what it would be like to be Timothy and lose his wife and son at the same time, needlessly.  He knew the answer:  he would have spent the rest of his life getting revenge.  Timothy's method of reporting and writing was his way of doing so; Todd's wouldn't have been so tame.


Blair said, "Well, now we know.  I am not sure I feel any better knowing."


"I know."


"What do we do?"


"Nothing we can do.  We just include him, treat him like our family.  After all, those two really are.  I don't have parents, Blair.  Sister Rebecca Katherine doesn't have kids, and Timothy, well, that's obvious.  I could use a mother and father figure or two."


She smiled, and got up, leaning over to kiss him.  "I like the way you think, Mr. Manning."


"I know.  You've said that a lot over the years."


"Let me rephrase that, I liked the way you thought in most of 1995, not so much 1996, again a little in 1997, not at all in the rest of 1997 to 1998, and a little through 2000 to..."


"Come here," he said, grabbing her waist and interrupting.  They fell into a passionate kiss, with her on his lap, and her hands mingling in his hair.  When the kiss ended, she looked into his eyes.  "I forgot to throw away the knife."


He said, "I know."


"Todd?  How do you know?"


"It's in the hiding place."


"Todd, we had a deal!"


"It's not my fault you picked a sucky hiding spot.  Just so you know, I didn't touch it."


"Well, all right.  Do you want me to throw it away?"


"Nah, you don't have to, I don't really think about it or care much anymore.  We should keep it though, in case John needs it for something with the case coming up." 


"Todd, you stole it and cleaned the blood off it.  What good would it do John?  And, you'd be arrested."


"Yeah.  Small detail, eh?"


She looked into his eyes.  "You don't want me to throw it away, do you?"


He said, "No, I don't."


She sighed.  "All right.  But the plan still stands, and I'm finding a new spot."


"Fine with me."


"You trust me with this?"  


"I do.  I trust you more than anyone Blair, but that's not saying much.  But, you're at the top of the list."


"Happy New Year," she said, "I love you."


"Happy New Year," he hugged her, and caught glimpse of the photograph of Timothy's dead wife and child in his mind's
 eye.


***


Zeus called the prison for the fourth time, and after being refused contact with Hesser again, he decided to go to Ray Martino for help.  "I can't get him via phone, they won't allow it.  They keep denying me calls."


"What's the reason for wanting to talk to him?"


"I want him to tell me who my mother is."


"He knows?"


"Yes.  He's...he's my father.  Biologically.  He told me himself."


"Zeus, there's more to paternity than that.  I could sit here and say I am your father, if I wanted to."


"I can't stop thinking about this.  He said he is, and somehow, I believe he is."


"He may be, however, you have no proof except his word.  And from what I hear, Hesser's word is not worth your time."


Zeus stopped.  "Maybe.  I guess."


"I can see this is distressing you."


"Please don't make my stay longer because of this.  I want t be out of here, badly, and I want to start my life over.  I can't do that from a mental hospital."


"Just because you have questions about your identity does not mean you need to stay here longer.  I think the larger question is, why does it mean so much to you to value his word?  What if he is lying?  You need the proper channels, Zeus."


"What are they?  I can't even think of a way."


"I can ask John McBain to petition the court for a DNA test for Hesser.  That it is necessary to the proper advancement of your case.  Then, we will have proof, and won't need his lies or his truths.  To me, any way we can accomplish this without interaction between you and Hesser is the best way."


"What about my mother?"


"That will have to come.  First, let's find out about Hesser.  If he is your father, then finding your mother will come afterward, and it will be simpler, I'd think."


"Heck, Todd could take an ad out for women who were involved with Hesser over the years and wait for responses."


"That's a bit dramatic, but something would work out.  I'm sure Todd would help you, if it came to that."


"All right.  So, will you help me?"


"Certainly, I'll call John McBain tomorrow, or maybe the day after.  Holidays, you know."


"Yeah."  He got up, "Thanks Ray.  And Happy New Year."


"Happy New Year to you too, Zeus.  I hope this year brings positive things for you."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. Is it possible that Zeus could be Timothy's son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is possible! Keep reading! More twists coming.

      Delete
  2. I think I see where you're going with Zeus's paternity, and I like it. He deserves better than Hesser. Still loving this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My goal is to write a progression of healing and love, and throw in some drama and twists along the way! Let me know if it's working.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! Have I told you how much I appreciate your reading?

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!