WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 23

Timothy Broderick had fallen asleep over his desk.  He woke up, his back hurting from sitting in the chair as he slept.  He got up, stretched, and went to make himself coffee.  He started his typical self-talk session, where he talked himself into an idea for how to get the results he wanted.  "You haven't found much, old man," he said.  "What will lead ya to The Slice and Dice, eh?  To make a connection with Hesser?"


He poured the coffee and sat at his desk again.  "Now, where is that clue hiding?  The Men of 21 have vanished, covering for their own arses, that leaves us no help there."  He had learned from Todd that there may have been a child, that Carlo fathered, that was still living, and that Zeus Zelenko, still currently in Mountainview, believed he was that child.  But, who was the mother?  Todd had suggested it might be the ex-Mayor Finn, that her baby with Carlo did not die, and in his research, Timothy was not able to find the reports of the dead child.  He might start with interviewing Kathleen Finn, who was currently at Statesville for her involvement in the prostitution ring and regime of Hesser..  Or, he thought, he could go to see Carlo himself.  "What about the 'son?'  He was held in captivity for some time, just as Todd was.  Timothy, should ya see him instead?"


In his frustration, he threw the dossier on Todd Manning onto the desk, and some items slid out.  "See, Broderick, ya have to be more careful.  This is on loan from the police department," he said aloud, and in putting the items back into the folder, he spied a photograph of a man he was certain he'd met, and might also lend some assistance.  "Patrick Thornhart, my boy, you, above all people, have spent time with Hesser and The Men of 21.  Why didn't I think of ya before?"  He sipped his coffee and waited until at least nine in the morning to make his call.


***


The days were shortening and the evenings were colder as December moved in.  Todd had been seeing Ray regularly, and his bouts with anger were ceasing.  He still had the occasional setback, of course, but in general, he was pleased with how he was feeling and coming along.  He and Blair had started nesting for the new baby, even though her arrival was several months away, and Todd again referred to Sunburst as a girl as often as he could.


At least once per week, Blair went with Todd to his session with Ray, and participated, to help bring his recovery closer.  In many sessions, Blair would have to leave, unable to take the descriptions Todd would lend to Ray, either of his torture, his violation or his own murderous fantasies.  It proved to be an arduous task, for her to stand by him, but she did, never faltering.  The "no leaving promise," was the promise both of them had made.  


One particular December morning, when they were readying for an appointment at Mountainview, Todd turned to her, in their bedroom, with the sun pouring through the glass panes.  "Blair, I know we said 'no leaving' but..."


"Todd, I don't want to hear it, you made a promise."


"It's not about me, it's you.  I would totally understand if all this is too much for you, Blair.  If you wanted to leave me, and take the children, it wouldn't mean you're a bad person, or that you don't love me."


She choked up.  Tired from not sleeping well for weeks, and haunted by his pain, she said, "No.  No leaving."


"Look at you, Babe.  You're losing weight instead of gaining, and you're pregnant.  You've got dark circles under your eyes.  I know you're not sleeping well, because every time I wake up, you're up already.  You need a break, even if it's temporary."


"Are you finished?"


"Yes."


"No leaving.  Now, let's go before we're late."


He put on a gray henley t-shirt and dark blue jeans, as she went into the bathroom to finish getting ready.  In the bathroom, she noticed how drawn she looked, but she pushed forward.  The last few weeks had been particularly difficult for him, and for her as well, and she didn't want to alarm him, but she had been having nightmares and feeling as though she lived some of it herself.  The images he presented would creep into her mind, and into her own rest, and disturb her. Determined to use her love for him to triumph, she would not give up.  


The kids were better; he had not had an outburst toward them in weeks.   They had been very supportive, from Starr babysitting Sam and Ray often, to Jack, bringing his grades back up and swearing off alcohol.  Todd was proud of his children, but he himself was showing signs of the stress.  He was thinner as well, and very tired.  The Sun had been carried along by Brigsette and Timothy Broderick, and Todd was eternally grateful.


This day utmost, Blair was certain, was going to be a challenge.  They had heard from John that Carlo, who had lost the bid to have all charges dropped, was appealing that decision, and fighting, still to have his case dropped.  The DA really had little to no evidence that he had anything to do with Todd's second capture and torment, and things were either going to get worse as Todd readied to testify against Carlo, or get worse as he dealt with him getting free of the charges.  She knew that session would be challenging, and that the weeks that followed would be as well.  She she finished primping and came out of the bathroom.  "Are you ready, my prince?"  She said.


"Yeah, as I'll ever be."  He could see what it all was doing to her, and he said, "Blair, maybe I should quit."


"Quit what, Todd?  It's not like this is a job or something."


"Quit caring about it, quit trying?  It's too hard and look what it's doing to us.  You said facing it is important, but I'm not sure anymore."


"It's only been about a month and a half, we have to give it time."


"Babe, you're pregnant.  You have another life to think about.  We do."


She placed her hand on her belly, and realized he was right, at least about that.  "You can't just quit now.  You've got to see it through.  A lot has happened, and you're making strides."


"I have less nightmares, have not yelled at the kids.  I can admit now I'm not turning into Peter, that was just fear.  But you know it's not over."


"No, it's not."


"But I think I know what would help, once and for all."


She was interested, "You want to talk about this in the car?"  she said, sitting by him on the bed.


"No," he said, "If we talk about it now, we can jump the copter."


She said, "It's too cold for that."


He said, "You're right, we'll take the car.  I'll call Williams to bring the car around.  While we wait, I want to tell you this."


She was flustered, "Is it another memory Todd?  I can't do it this morning, I feel so sick."


"No, it's not.  And why didn't you tell me you're feeling that way?  Maybe you should stay home..."


She turned herself around, "No.  No leaving.  I am with you, 100% my love.  Now, what do you want to tell me."  She was afraid, inside, to admit that she worried that if he went alone, he'd lose his mind completely, and never come back whole. She had to be with him.


He texted Williams, and then said, "I think I'm obsessed with Carlo."


She breathed a sigh of relief.  "Really?"


"Yes.  I think I'm obsessed and I think it's unhealthy for me."


She felt something lift from her shoulders.  For weeks, she had found a growing fear that he was going to kill Hesser and be taken from her again.  His fantasies had increased, and his pleasure surrounding them had become obvious, and it scared her.  The frequency and graphic nature of his imaginings had also alarmed her.  She said, "I do, too.  I think this is a really good thing you've figured out, Todd.  We'll have to tell Ray."


"Blair, I'm going to ask you something."


"Sure,"  she said, putting her shoes on.


"I'm going to ask you to let me go."


"Not this again!"


"No, not this again.  Let me go to Mountainview alone, like I used to.  I think it's better, right now.  If you want me to keep seeing Ray, you have to let me do this alone.  I can't watch it bring you down anymore."


She thought about it.  "Can I go with you, just not go in to the session?"


He said, "All right.  For today.  But for next time, we're going to work on you out shopping or with friends and family, while I go.  Promise we'll at least discuss that?"


"I promise," she agreed.  Maybe things were going to improve and there was an end to this nightmare in sight after all.


***


Timothy finally located a number for Patrick Thornhart that was given to him by Todd Manning.  "Patrick, lad, Timothy Broderick here.  Fine, fine, and you?  Are you free to meet with me, I have a few questions for ya.  Yes, I can be there in an hour, or so.  See ya then."  He hung up.  Putting together his paperwork into his leather binder that he carried with him when working, he topped off his head with a hat and said, "I'll stop on the way at The Sun to make sure the presses are running for Todd."


An hour or so later, Broderick stepped into a gable located in the stable house at The Country Club in Llanview.  Patrick had rented a flat there, and was sitting, writing in a small leather notebook.  He had opened the door with a smile, and a hearty handshake.  "Welcome, Mr. Broderick."


"What have you been doing with yourself since ya saved Todd Manning's life, my boy?"


"Writing mostly, and visiting Margaret, trying to give her the strength to get well."


"That is a beautiful thing, it is.  Reminds me in some ways of The Mannings."


Patrick did not respond.  He capped his pen and said, "What can I do for you, Mr. Broderick?"


"I know it's a sore subject, but I need to ask ya about your time in captivity."


Patrick's face became solemn, but Timothy could tell that for him, it was not quite as harrowing as what Manning had endured.  "I'd be glad to do what I can for you."


"Do you remember ever meeting Michael Leona?"


Patrick turned to the window a moment, "You mean the sorry excuse for a man that brutalized Todd Manning?  I've never seen him, no, except when he was lying dead at Manning's hand."


"Before that, ever?  Think back, lad, it's important."


"I can tell you, the man's face is easy to remember, and no, I never met him."


"Had you ever heard of him, about him, or heard him mentioned before the last incident with Todd?  Possibly overhear Carlo talking to him?"


"Not that I can pinpoint.  Hesser made a lot of calls over the last six years.  He called the states often. He could have been talking to Leona, sure, but I have no way of knowing, Mr. Broderick.  I've told John McBain everything I know, sir."


"I see," he said, standing.  "I'm sorry for what ya endured."

"I was kept well, not tortured.  I was only mistreated when I was beaten and left for dead.  Nothing like what Manning experienced.  I don't want to think of the things he must have faced.  Those men are monsters in the world of humans."



"You're right.  I was hoping you could help us link the two together.  If you think of something, please call me."  He said, and handed him his card.


Patrick nodded and agreed, as Timothy walked out.  He returned to his book and completed his poem.
  
***


Todd came back into the room, and said, "All right, Babe, time to go."


"Todd, don't be angry, but I changed my mind.  I want to stay here, I just don't feel well."


"How could I be mad?  That's fine, but are you all right?  What's the matter?"


"Just that morning sickness, that's all.  I need to rest, Todd, I haven't slept well."


"All right," he kissed her, "I love you and I'll see you later." he said.


As soon as he was out of earshot and in the car, and the limo could be seen driving off,  she rushed to the phone and called Ray.  "Ray, it's Blair."


"Oh, hi Blair, I expect you in, less than an hour."


"I wont be coming today.  I stayed home purposely to make this call.  I wanted to...I'm sorry, Ray, that I was not up front with you before now."


"It's all right, Blair, just finish what you want to say."


"Todd told me today that he thinks it's wrong that he's obsessed with Carlo, and with killing him.  What I withheld from you, and from everyone else, is that he broke into the police department and stole evidence."


Ray was quiet.  "You know I can't divulge it.  What's the relevance?"


"I am so stupid," she said, not answering at first, "I am so wrong."


"Blair, I can't help you until you tell me what's up."


"He...he has Leona's skinner knife,"  her voice cracked.


"I see," he said.  "Has he told you this?"


"Yes.  He confided in me.  He holds it sometimes, I see him.  He...Ray, I'm disturbed over how it makes him feel."


"Euphoric, almost like it's sexual?"


"Yes, that's it.  I feel like I am betraying him."


"It's all right.  He's fixated on killing Carlo and doing to him what was done.  It's sort of rational, if you think about it.  On some level, it seems like justice.  And to Todd, I am sure it does.  You are not betraying him, you're helping.  Does he hold it when he's under stress?"


"Yes, I've seen him do it several times when he's struggling with something.  One night, he was having a terrible nightmare, and he woke up and went to it.  He did not know I was watching.  I'm scared, I don't want to lose him.  If he acts on this, and murders Carlo..."


"Slow down.  This is not murder.  It's fantasy.  It's a way to relieve stress from what was done to him.  You said he noticed he was obsessed.  That's a good sign.  I think I have an idea."  Ray thanked her, assured her that it would be all right and hung up, clicking the receiver to make another call.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

  1. Another great chapter, I await tomorrow's update. Sounds like Blair needs to see a shrink too and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Blair has her hands full right now.

      Delete
  2. love it, another great chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! More reading and comments is appreciated!

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!