WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 26

December had almost come and gone, and for the past weeks, Todd had been catering to Blair's every need and insisting upon her being quarantined to the bedroom.  She didn't mind all that much; after all, he was with her.  They had the most beautiful home, outdoor access, and gorgeous facilities.  She was happy, and had not passed out or had any other problems since the emergency earlier that month.  


Todd had made great strides.  He had given the knife, however cautiously, to Blair, who had hidden it for him and promised to keep it until he needed it, with the understanding he would only ask her for it if it was urgent.  She hoped he'd forget about it; secretly, he hadn't wanted to give it up until he knew Carlo would never be making an appearance in their lives.  His nightmares were faded, and occurring less.  He had talked often about putting his faith in John McBain, who he knew to be a good man, and waiting for the outcome.  The outbursts were gone, and he and the boys had gone back to their typical man stuff.  Little Ray was growing like a weed.  All was calm and joyous for The Mannings, and the Christmas season was at hand.


In search of the perfect gift, Todd had scoured almost all of downtown Llanview, and beyond.  Finally, he had settled on a hollow, Swarovski crystal heart, that opened with a tiny gold key, which hung off the side of the heart.  Inside, he had put a  birthstone birthstone himself, Blair, Starr, Jack, Sam and Ray.  When closed, she would be able to see all of their stones.  When the new baby came, she could add an alexandrite stone for Sunburst.  He was very pleased with it, and rushed home to get it wrapped.


Coming into the bedroom after hiding the new gift, he said, "I was out shopping again."


She said, "You love holidays.  You always make them special.  Don't spoil the kids though."



"I think you're about 20 years too late on that one.  I do love holidays, because I really never had them.  At least not happy ones."


She touched his cheek,  "I'm sorry, Todd.  I never really did either.  Not until later.  Especially when I met you.  You've spoiled me since day one, and I appreciate it.  No one ever did that for me."


"Well, it's not over yet."  he said, kissing her.  She ran her fingers down his chest and he said, "Bath?"


"Maybe in a bit.  I was just reading over some of the recent expose articles on Carlo.  Sorry to bring up a sore subject but, I was.  These are quite good.  Timothy Broderick really knows how to write, and he's done a great job taking over the investigative reporting."


"He has.  I've had more important things to think about," he said, stroking her hair.  


She smiled.  "You're doing so much better.  Are you being honest with me?  No more panic, no more nightmares?"


"Yep.  So far, so good.  It's Ray, John's promise, my own choice about it, and a lot to do with you and that baby in there."  He leaned over, "Hey, kid, it's me, your Dad.  Get used to this voice."


She laughed, and he rested his head against her belly, and she petted his hair and face.  "I guess we can see about that bath now, Mr. Manning."


***


Christmas Eve finally arrived, and Todd and Blair (especially Todd) went all out with decorations and cheer for the children (and themselves).  Todd made Jack go with him to get the Christmas tree.  Starr helped Blair string cranberries and popcorn.  Sam was shaking the gifts so much, Blair had to send him to his room for a few minutes.  Little Ray, in his carrier, was chortling here and there, and playing with his feet, which were in little red booties with artificial snow on the toes.  When Jack and Todd came in, the family got ready to put the tree up, and cover it in sparking decorations.  


After a lovely meal that Todd had catered, the family went into the movie room to watch old favorites.  Todd found himself feeling different than he had since he had been back.  He whispered to Blair, "Throw the knife away."


She snuggled closer to him, and put her arm across his chest.  In all her life, she had never felt as safe as she did with him.  Even when he was at his worst, her welfare would win out over everything else.  She began to get sleepy, and the kids were putting in more holiday dvds when the doorbell rang.  "I'll get it!"  said Jack.


"Hello, Sister!"  Jack said.


"Just me, bringing some Christmas cheer!"  They recognized the nun's voice.  Todd and Blair got up and went to her.


Todd said, "Sister, it's great to see you, but how did you get here?"


"Ah, I have my driver, you gave him to me, don'tcha remember, Todd?"


"Of course.  Glad to see you."


"You're the closest thing to my family, not including Timothy, so I wanted to stop bye and see you all."


"Well, come in, and lose your jacket, Sister.  Would you like something to eat or drink?"  Blair offered, taking her coat.


"Oh heavens no, I've been at the church hall all evening, and had plenty."


"Why aren't you hanging around that brother of yours?"  Todd said.


She frowned.  "Timothy does not do well on holidays, Todd."


He pitied her a moment, and Timothy as well.  "Where is he?"


"He's at his flat, not answering the phone. He's done this before.  Sometimes, he will drink himself into a stupor."


Todd was curious, and so was Blair, but they kept it to themselves.  "My father beat me every Christmas," he offered, "so I guess I can relate."


"Oh Todd, you've come so far, Lad.  Look how you took that and made something perfect for your children."


"Yeah, and it doesn't stop there.  No snow, I'm fueling up the copter."


"Todd!  What are you doing?"  Blair said.


"Going to get the guy!  He can't very well be alone!  It's Christmas!"


Blair and Sister Rebecca Katherine began talking up a storm, about the coming baby, the birth of Ray, where they reminisced over the blessed event, and the children, the house and decor, as Todd went on his way.


***


Todd landed the helicopter on the top of The Manning Building.  He marveled at his handiwork; the copter had a specially-made Santa hat on the top, with a huge jingling bell.  He thought to himself, "Hmm, next year I get a Santa hat for the whole building instead."  


He made his way down into the building, across the street, and over to Timothy's flat.  Knocking, he got no response, so he put on his best brogue.  "You in there, Timothy Broderick, open ya door, man, before the banshee of winter comes and swoops down on yer noggin.'"


Nothing.


"I say, Timothy, there's a John Leech here to see ya, he's carryin' quite torch for ya."


Nothing.


He changed to his own voice, and clearing his throat, said, "Timothy, this is your boss, open the damn door."


The door opened, and Todd was dumbfounded at what he saw.  Timothy was unshaven, drunk, and the room was disheveled and smelled of rum.  "It's Christmas.  I'm off."  He said.


Todd closed the door behind him.  "I realize that.  As part of your Christmas bonus, I've decided to bring you to Unforgettable for the night and for tomorrow.  Your sister is there."


"Leave me alone," he said.  "I'll not be goin'.  I'm not fit for man or beast tonight."


"Well, I'm asking, that means I decide whether or not you're fit.  We can clean you up a bit.  Coffee.  A make-over."


"Leave me be, Lad."  He went to the sofa, and fell onto it, taking a bottle from the end table to swig from it, and Todd intercepted and pulled it away.


"You've had enough, haven't you?"


"Hand it to me, now, Boy.  You don't know what you're dealing with right about now."


Todd sat down, holding the bottle away.  Then he turned it toward him and said, "Tell me."


Timothy grabbed the bottle and drank.  He offered it to Todd, who took one swig.  Todd didn't offer the bottle back.  He waited.


"I don't celebrate Christmas.  I don't believe in God or the Lord in Heaven.  I'm nothin' like my sister, you'll find out."


"No one is like her," Todd said.  "She's one of a kind."


"Well, that she is, Lad.  She's all I have left."


Todd sensed something larger, and pitied the man.  "She's a good woman.  And how does that make sense?  Leaving her on her own on the holiday?"


"She's better off for it.  This is not my time of year."


"You ever married?"  Todd said, purposely opening the door to the topic of family.


"You best be goin'."


"I see, it's like that.  Someone comes and tries to reach out to you, and you push them away.  I can tell you about my Christmases instead.  Until I was twenty-six, there were only three ways I spent them:  beaten by my father, alone or in jail."


"Your father, if you don't mind me saying, was a fool.  He didn't appreciate ya.  He didn't appreciate having a son to love."  Timothy said.


"No, he didn't.  He was a cruel and sick man.  He made a habit of abusing me every chance he got.  Holidays were no exception."


Timothy sobered up slightly, and said, "I'm sorry, Lad, for yer troubles."


"Don't be, I have to move on.  And of course, the last eight years, Christmas was me lighting up, not a tree."


"I see yer point.  Everyone has problems, eh?  But what if you did not have that beautiful woman, that saving grace that you married?  What if you did not have those precious children?"


Todd saw where it was going.  "I can imagine life without them.  I lived it.  Almost lost them many times.  If I didn't have them to go back to, I'd probably be drunk somewhere, unshaven, alone, and cursing everyone and everything."


Timothy said, "Ay."  He grabbed the bottle back and finished the contents.


"Well, that was a nice talk, but we've gotta go.  They're waiting on us."  Todd said, standing.


"I can't, Lad, you can see...."


"You can, and you will."  He took his arm to help him up.


"You don't understand,"  Timothy said.


"I don't?"  Todd said, looking at him.  Timothy studied his face, with the scar on his cheek.  He looked down to the hand that clutched him, and saw cuff had ridden up.  The scar on Todd's wrist was showing, and a small rectangle was at the base of his thumb.  Timothy, reluctantly got up.  


Todd said, "Your sister will be glad to see you."


Todd made the man go and freshen up, and shave.  Then, they closed the lights, shut the door to the flat and made it to the lobby.  They stopped there and and got him a cup of coffee, and then walked down the street together, Todd keeping the older man on his feet.  "Where's the devil is the car?"  asked Timothy.


"Oh, uh, about that..."
  
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!