WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 15

Weeks had passed since the party at Unforgettable.  John hung up the phone, and told the knocker to enter his office.


Timothy Broderick entered.  "Lieutenant, hope this fine day finds you well."


"Mr. Broderick, again, nice to see you."


"The party was a hoot, eh?  That Manning knows how to entertain."


"That he does.  He's rolling in it, but he doesn't mind sharing the wealth."


"Clearly.  Lad, what are you doing about putting away this Carlo Hesser?  I'd sleep a hell of a lot easier without him in my sights."


"It's a wonder you asked me this.  I just hung up with the D.A.s Office"


"And what's the verdict?"



"His trial is set for March.  They're pushing for the death penalty.  The repeated offenses, the kidnap and torture of Manning.  All that should weigh in."


"If you can prove it, Lad."


"Not a subject I care to broach today."


"Ah, then you see the legal dilemmas, ay?"


"More than that, I don't count on us winning, not where we are now.  But we've got a few months, maybe something will turn up."


"Are ya headed to the old country, then?"


"Not yet.  Not unless I have to.  I'd rather never be there again, to be honest.  Not after last time."  The memory of Ireland did not sit well with John McBain.  Not after the things he witnessed and knew took place there.


"It's not so bad," Timothy began.  "I grew up there."


"Well, I can see your allegiance, but, right now, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, you know?"


"Eh, I see.  I'm working for Manning now, an expose on the bastard Hesser."


"I don't usually do this, but I'll make an exception.  I'll help you any way I can."


"Thank ya," he said, standing.  He put out his hand, "Your help is appreciated.  You can start by getting me some information from a criminal file."


"You don't mince words, but you know I can't really do that."


"You can leave it here, and walk out for a moment?"


"I can't do that either," he said, standing up.  Timothy saw John move Hesser's file to the front center of the desk.  "If you'll excuse me," and John McBain walked out of his own office.


***


"Hesser, you got your phone time.  Approved."  The guard lead Carlo to the phone area.  His hands still chained, due to his previous attempt and successful escape, struggled to balance the receiver and get it to his ear before dialing.  He made contact, and said, "Hello, I'm glad to find you available."


"What can I do for you, Hesser?"


"I would like to discuss with you a plan to get our friends to support my campaign for release."


The voice on the other end paused, as if interpreting.  "I see, your appeal."


"Yes, you might say that.  My appeal.  I am set for trial in four months.  The DA is seeking to take my life.  I thought you and the rest of the family might be interested in this."


"I'll see what I can do.  Call me in a few days."  The phone went dead after the click of disconnection.  Carlo fermented in his anger, as he stood waiting for the guard to transport him back.  He was expecting the remnants of The Men of 21 to come to his aid.  In fact, he demanded it.  After sending them a note via courier (a guard on the take), he was expecting a different response when he made his call.  There would be Hell to pay, for all of them, if his request was not fulfilled.  He wanted out and he expected them to make it happen.


***


At the doctor's office, Starr and Hope sat in the waiting room.  It was check up time for Little Hope, and her mother was meeting Blair there, and the three planned lunch.  "Mommy, is today Halloween?"  Hope asked.


"Yes, Hope, today's Halloween."


"Is Grandma going to dress up in those zebra clothes and those high heels again?"  Hope asked.  Starr had forgotten that Hope had even seen that episode.  More of her parents' antics.


"No, I don't think so.  I think she has something else planned."


"I don't like the doctor's."


"That's okay, Grandma is coming to hang out with us.  You like her."


"I love Grandma.  And Grandpa."


"I know you do.  I love them, too."


The door opened and Starr heard,  "Now come on, little ones, what are you waitin' for, the pumpkins to all be gone?  Hurry along, little dears."


It was Sister Rebecca Katherine.  Starr stood up, going to her.  "Sister!"  Starr hugged her, and she patted Hope's head.


"Hello, my dears, always nice to see some of The Manning brood.  So happy to see ya."


"Sister, how are you doing?  Recovered from the party?"


"Ah, yes, though I did have one glass of champagne too much, I did."


"Well, that happens.  Happy to see you, but, who are they?"


"These are the little ones from St. Mary's, the orphanage.  Time for their check ups, too."  Three little children, all under 4, were in tow.  She had them on a special little leash with hand loops for walking.  "It's a lovely fall day.  Perfect for a walk.  Your father has provided me with a car any time I choose, so I called the driver, had him drop me at St. Mary's, and walked them here.  Lovely out."


Starr smiled, and said hello to the children.  Then, she said, "Say hi to our friends."


Hope said, "Hi," and waved her little hand.


"Go ahead and play with the toys right there, but don't go anywhere else," Starr cautioned, and all four of them went to the carpet and the toys.


"Your father seems much lighter,"  Sister Rebecca Katherine said.  "He seemed close to happy."


"Close to," she repeated.  "I love seeing them that way.  So in love and free of..."  she stopped, choking up a moment.


"It's all right dear.  He will be all right and he will be free.  Give him time."


"Mom's on her way.  You'll certainly see her.  She's coming here to meet us and then we all are going to lunch.  Would you like to come?"


"Ah, yes, but the little ones..."


"They can come.  We'll call your driver."  Starr smiled.


"Let me give that some thought, dear.  It does sound wonderful."


Starr settled in and watched Hope and her new friends playing, thinking how Zeus, the man she had known as her father for eight years, was also an orphan.  She pondered how his life would go, now that someone had damaged him in such a way.  She wasn't sure what would help Zeus get his life back.  He'd been tortured and brainwashed, and he didn't seem as strong as her father.  After all, he wasn't Todd Manning.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. With a vengeance! I really have come to love that little nun.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I wonder where you will go with Men of 21 and the orphans.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!