WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 34

Spring was definitely making its appearance, with the buds on the trees slowly opening, and the weather turning decidedly warmer.  Blair was moving along in her pregnancy, and doing well.  The family was readying for the arrival of the new baby, but knew they had a major hurdle to climb, as the time of the trial of Carlo Hesser approached.


One sunny afternoon, Todd and Blair were surprised to hear the doorbell, midday, and he got up to answer it.


It was John McBain, and he was carrying assorted files and paperwork.  "Manning, Blair.  You both realize you have been summoned to testify."


"Yeah, we've been discussing it."  Todd said.


"Who else is slated to testify?"  Blair asked.


John answered, "Just about everyone involved, I'd say.  I wanted to let you know, also, that we cannot find the individual who planted to bomb at Zeus' new apartment.  The Men of 21 were blamed, but we have reason to believe it's not the case.  Mainly because Hesser is not able to be an active participant in that group, and since they deserted him back in Ireland, I'd hazard a guess that he is framing them and is possibly responsible."


Blair said, "Zeus is his own son."


"Wouldn't put it past Hesser."  John said.


"Are we going to win this case, John?"  Todd asked.


"We have quite a few witnesses, and a few you may not know about.  Patrick Thornhart has been asked, Zeus, yourselves, Sister Rebecca Katherine, Timothy Broderick, me.  Anyone involved."


At that moment, the doorbell rang again.  Blair said, "We never get guests and now this."


Todd went to the door and opened it to none other than Patrick Thornhart.  He said, "McPoet, how good of you to come."


"Todd, it's not a social call, and I'm glad I ran into Mr. McBain here, as well."


Blair said, "What is it, Patrick?"


"It's Margaret.  She has information, things that have been uncovered through her therapy.  I don't have a great deal of time to explain it, but I wanted to tell you that she can link Hesser with this Leona character."


Todd's expression changed, and Blair's mouth dropped.  "She can?" she said.


"Yes, she has been remembering more and more details over time, as she has been getting closer to healing.  Seems much of her breakdown has been connected to the traumas while being held by the Men of 21 in Ireland.  You remember, when that happened, John, don't you?  You went to get her."


"Of course I remember, but she had no memory of that time."


"She does now.  And what she went through is partially responsible for the breakdown later.  Of course, the other incidents with her lost child and that Todd imitation added to it as well."


Todd lifted an eyebrow.  Blair gave him the eye, and shushed him.  Patrick continued, "She can connect Carlo with this man, this Leona person, who brutalized Todd."


"Sounds good, I just need to get her on the witness list.  It might take a few days, but it should be done by the time the trial starts.


"Just one little detail," Patrick added, "she never saw Hesser." 


John threw the folders down on the table.  "Never saw him?  Can't we catch a break?"


"Neither did I," Todd said.


"Or me."  Blair chimed in.


"Neither has anyone else," John added.  Except one person."


"Zeus," Todd said.


"Exactly.  Zeus Zelenko.  I'm not saying that all this other testimony won't help, by identifying his voice, or other things, but to connect him to this very last kidnapping of you, Todd, is going to be difficult.  And that means, he can't be charged with the second kidnapping, and the attempted rape, torture, and....I just put my foot right in my mouth, didn't I?"  John fell to the easy chair.


Todd didn't flinch, but Patrick, who had been sitting on the sofa talking, stood up when he heard the word.  "Todd, ya can't be serious."


"Well, now you know, and yes, I'm serious.  I'd appreciate if it weren't thrown around in your poetry books."


"Of course not.  I wish it weren't true, that I do. I'm sorry for ya."


"Don't be.  It's in the past.  If found out the day I killed him. It was going to be him or me.  I would have never survived an attack by him.  That's where you came in."


"I recall.  I'm glad for your family that you made it."


"Todd, I'm sorry."  John said.


"No biggie, John, let's just get this over with.  Zeus is our best bet?"


"Zeus has had conversations with his father, in Statesville and on the phone.  He has the best evidence we've got."  John added.


"Which explains the attempt on his life," Blair reminded.


"Hesser," Patrick and Todd both said, in unison.


"Well, since we all know what we're up against, I'm going to file that injunction.  Hopefully with Marty's testimony, and the rest of us, something can put this guy away and throw away the key."


John saw himself to the door, and Patrick lingered behind.  "Todd, you should know, Marty is past everything that happened with the two of you, and she was very sorry to hear about your troubles.  'He's had enough' she said, or something to that effect."


Todd said, "I appreciate you saying so."


"Well, it's the truth.  I'll be going now.  You best had better rest up for this trial beginning next week.  I know I will be.  Margaret will be allowed out during or after the trial.  She's been declared competent and is going to be free."


Todd said, "That's good news.  I wish you both all the best."


"So do I," Blair said, "Glad to hear she's well."


He left.  Todd turned to Blair and said, "Zeus is going to be a target until this is over."


"I know.  What about Tea and the girls?"  she said, "He'd love to hit him hard by hurting them."


"We've just got to hope nothing like that comes down.  It's been a long road for Zeus, and he deserves a break."


"It's been a long road for all of us," Blair said.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!