WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, July 23, 2012

Dance with the Devil: Chapter 41


Starr and Sarah had never been truly close for most of their lives.  The main reason for that had do to their age difference and the fact that Tina had left town with her kids when Starr was still a baby.  But over the last few weeks, she and her cousin had been really tight.  They realized they had common dreams, goals and parent issues.  They had taken to swapping stories about some of the more outrageous things their parents had pulled.  That’s what they had been doing when Michael Corinthos found them at the patio at Kelly’s.  “Hey, Michael!” Starr called out when she saw him.
Michael came up to her and fought the urge to give her a kiss.  When her eyes slid to Sarah, he took it as a sign and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.  He flashed the other blonde a sheepish smile, who waved it off.  “So, what are you two ladies doing today?” he asked. 
“Nothing really.  My mom texted me.  She and my grandmother just left Llanview after the movers finished up.  I’m just waiting for them to get here,” Starr said.
“My parents finally found a place to rent, since my dad has to stick around Port Charles for business and my mom is theoretically keeping an eye on Uncle Todd,” Sarah added.
As she finished up her comment, another voice could be heard calling her name.  As she turned around, Dillon Quartermaine approached the group.  “Funny meeting you here,” he said slyly.  When he saw Michael, he held out his hand.  “Wow, you’ve grown a lot since I last saw you.”
Michael shook it.  “Well, it’s been a few years since you’ve been in town.  What’s brought you back?”
Dillon grimaced.  “Mother called.  She said Grandfather hadn’t been doing too well lately, so I figured I would come back and see him, stay for a bit.”  It was then he noticed the other girl at the table was staring at him.  Starr shook herself out of the haze.  She narrowed her eyes at him, and he responded with, “Is there something wrong?  Do I have something on my shirt, because I swear, I haven’t run into anyone with coffee cups today.”
Sarah snickered, but Starr continued to stare at him.  Finally she said, “Sorry, you just remind me of someone I knew back home.”
“Someone you remember fondly, I hope,” Dillon hedged.  After Starr shrugged her shoulders,  he held out his hand.  “Dillon Quartermaine.  And you are?”
“Starr Manning,” she replied.
Dillon pointed to Sarah.  “She’s the cousin, you’re living with, right?” When the older blonde nodded, Dillon explained to Starr, “I met your cousin yesterday.”
“After I spilled coffee all over him,” Sarah finished.  “And we got to talking and we compared families…”
“Why does that sound familiar?” Michael chimed in.  When Dillon and Sarah looked at him, Michael explained, “We’ve compared notes on our families as well.  We came to the conclusion that money equals lunacy.”
“Oh, that’s a given,” Dillon said.  “I heard something about plans for the day?”
“Yeah, I was just asking the ladies if they had any,”  Michael said.  “It’s still pretty warm out, so I was wondering if you’d like to come to the Quartermaines.  We could go swimming, take the boat out on the lake, play a little tennis?”
“Can I beat you this time?” Starr teased.
Sarah and Dillon laughed, though they didn’t totally get the reference until Michael told them about the Fourth of July.  They all agreed it sounded like fun and the girls headed home to get their things while Michael took Dillon back with him.  When they all arrived at the Quartermaine estate, the boys thought it best to let the household know that they were going to be hanging out there.  When they entered, they found Edward sitting at a table in the study going through boxes.
“Well, hello there Michael, Dillon. I see you’ve brought some guests,” Edward greeted them.  “Ms. Manning, Ms. Roberts, it’s lovely to see you again.”
“Grandfather, we just wanted to let you know, we’ll be hanging out at the boathouse, so if you see anyone there, it’s us.  Don’t sic Alice on anyone,” Dillon said.  When Sarah gave him a look, his only response was, “Don’t ask.”
“Well, before you go, I’ve been going through boxes of letters and photos Lila kept all these years.  How, ladies, I know you saw the pictures of your grandfather the other night, but I have been continuing with the project and I found this interesting,” Edward said as he handed Starr a letter.
The paper was discolored with age, but she could make out a return address on it.  It was from Philadelphia, postmarked February of 1970.  The name on the return address, though, sent chills down her spine.  “I. Manning?” she questioned.
“I as in Irene?” Sarah piped in.
Starr looked at the older gentleman and he softly nodded.  Inside was a letter, another lined sheet with a ripped edge and three pictures.  She stared at the pictures as Sarah took the letter from her  “It kind of hard to read. ‘Thank you for your generous offer…I did find a home for my sons…thought you would like the picture…’  Wow, this is really smudged.  Uh, ‘Thank you for standing up when Victor threaten not to acknowledge any of my children if I didn’t…pray I will see my boys some day.  At least I still have my precious daughter.’”  Sarah couldn’t take here eyes off the signature.  “Irene Manning.”      
“Starr?” Michael realized the his friend had gotten quiet.  “What are those pictures of?”
Starr held up one for Michael to see.  It was a woman in a hospital bed holding two babies, one in each arm.  Sarah took another one, of a little girl in a chair, holding the babies, while another woman off to the side propped her hand underneath one of them for support.  The third Starr held on to.  It was of the whole family with the little girl and the woman smiling vividly. 
“Are those our parents?” Sarah asked, mesmerized.
“Yes, I took those shots when the boys were born,” Edward admitted.  He let out a sigh as he continued with his explanation.  “I knew Victor liked younger women.  Many years after that garden party, I ran into him with this young lady in the pictures while I was in Philadelphia.  She was quite young then, no more than twenty.  As fate would have it, I continued to come across her over the years.  Then, in 1969, she sought me out and told me what had gone down between her and Victor. Lila and I were so moved by her situation we put her and her daughter up in an apartment while she was expecting another of Victor Lord’s children.  It wasn‘t until the birth that she knew it was twins.” 
“Grandmother did that?” Dillon asked.
“Lila could see very plainly what type of man Victor was and was kindhearted and generous to try and help the poor girl.  The day after the those pictures were taken, Victor swooped in and made her give up her sons.  Lila and I tried to help her and tell her we would give her whatever she needed to raise her children, but she was too proud to take our money.  Ironically, I think my son Alan had taken a liking to her.  He was the doctor who delivered the babies, you know.”  Edward turned to his grandson.  “This was before he met Monica, of course.”
“So, Sarah’s mother and Starr’s father could have been raised as Quartermaines.  Don’t know how much better off they would have been,” Dillon muttered to Michael.  He caught his grandfather’s glare and shrugged innocently.   
“Those were out of her camera and she eventually sent us them in the letter.  As you can see, the poor child must have been crying while she wrote it,” Edward said.
“Just like the diary,” Starr murmured.  She looked up at Sarah.  “When Dad came back last year, David Vickers brought Irene’s diary to him and Victor to see if that had any answers.  But when Aunt Viki went to find the entry for when the twins were born…”  Starr realized something.  She handed the letter to Sarah and unfolded the second paper.  As she read it, she could see that it was the missing page from the diary.  She looked from it to the letter to the Quartermaines to the picture she still held.  “But this is what doesn’t make sense.  Aunt Tina didn’t even know she had a brother, let alone two, until David Vickers came to town with the diary.  But that is definitely your mother in the pictures.”
“Do you remember Aunt Viki talking about her daughter Megan?  She had her when she was a teenager and didn’t remember her for years because Victor Lord had to brainwashed her to forget.”  Sarah took a breath as she went through her explanation.  “Well, my mom was, what, eight when Todd and Victor were born?  I bet it’s real easy to make a little girl forget, compared to a teenager.  Besides, my mom’s so scatterbrained to begin with, it probably was a piece of cake.”
“Victor forced Irene’s hand in the adoption decision.  He promised to leave one of the boys a trust fund when she agreed.  Whomever got to it first would inherit the entire thing,” Edward informed them.  “It wasn’t until I read about your father discovering he was Victor Lord’s son that I was able to put the two together.  In fact, I hadn’t even remembered this letter until then and at that point, Lila and I had so many things going on in the family that we just forgot about it again.  I didn’t even go looking for any of this until your father had his little showdown in the courthouse with Sonny Corinthos.”
“Are you sure of how the money was supposed to be distributed?”  Starr said.  When Edward nodded, Starr sighed.  “Well, then, that may prove who is entitled to the trust fund.  Mr. Quartermaine, would sign something attesting to that?”
“Absolutely, my dear.  I was there when he made the offer to Irene.  I wanted to make certain he did right by at least one of their children.  I’ll even contact my attorney to have him draft it and notarize it,” Edward assured her.  “But this is all academic, isn’t it, Miss Manning?” 
“We need to get back next door.  I think dad may be interested in seeing these.”  Starr ignored the question as she turned Edward.  “May I keep them?”
“They are yours.  I am just grateful Lila kept them all these years,” he said wistfully.
“I really wish I was able to meet her.  She sounds like an angel,” Starr said as she gave Edward a granddaughterly kiss on the cheek.  She and Sarah left the house.
Michael turned to the Quartermaine patriarch.  “To answer your question, it may come in handy in the future,” Michael said vaguely as he turned to leave.
While Edward was unlocking a part of the Lord family past, Todd was thinking about the Manning family future.  Jack and Sam had been picked up by Alexis Davis and Todd was by himself.  It was the first time since the night of the shooting that he had been all alone and he realized just how much he hated it.  For someone who, because of his past, was predisposed to being on his own, he had now come to the opposing viewpoint.  He missed Blair, he missed the kids, hell, he missed his sisters.  And the sad truth was, they would all be around again in a matter of hours.  Then, before he could continue his musings on loneliness, the doorbell rang.  He went to answer it and gestured Ric Lansing in.  “Glad you could make it,” he began conversationally. 
“Well, your tone kind of demanded it,” Ric replied sullenly.
“How’s your brother?” Todd’s sarcasm was in full force.
Ric narrowed his eyes.  “Why are you asking about Sonny?”
“Just trying to make conversation.  So, I had a visit from your ex-wife and daughter.  She’s very lovely, though, Molly that it.  Alexis reminds me of a classier Delgado,” Todd told him.  “Anyway, our children have become friends, Molly and Jack, but Alexis was uneasy about it.  Why ever would she be?”
Ric caught his drift.  “Alexis knew I represented you in your murder trial and she wanted to know what kind of people Molly had been hanging around.  In the best interests of my daughter, I told her what she didn’t know already.”
“Like the case against my son for bullying Shane Morasco and the accidental death of that stripper chick?” Todd questioned.  “Ric, buddy, I know what crimes you’ve committed.  I know what your dirty laundry is.  Kidnapping Carly and making it look like you two slept together to Sonny’s eyes.  Luring him to a bungalow on Martha’s Vineyard and trying to kill him.  Take it from me, trying to kill your brother, no matter how much you despise him, eats at you.”  Ric narrowed his eyes at the publisher.  “Yeah, I figured out long ago.  It was a little too convenient that an LA based lawyer with ties to Port Charles happened to pitch me a great defense.”  Todd had to laugh at the expression on Lansing’s face.  “By the way, it really was a great defense.  It’s actually being proven true.”
Ric knew he had been had.  His mind was working in overdrive to cover his ass.  “Mr. Manning, anything I said to my ex-wife, I said merely to inform her.  Alexis tends to automatically go to the worst case scenario in these situations, so I do apologies for her.”
“I don’t begrudge her any overreaction.  Any parent her position would.  I’m happy to tell you we’ve reached an understanding between ourselves and the kids.  Parameters for behavior, if you will,” Todd finally said.   
“That sounds good.  I think I may go and have a chat with Molly, for emphasis,” Ric said as he got up.
“Alexis took Molly, my son and my nephew out to Spoon Island.  There’s a house out there that Molly has been dying to show Jack and Sam wanted to see the scary house too,” Todd explained.  “I’ll see you tomorrow.  I have some more contracts for you to go over.  Oh, and this,” Todd pulled out the prenuptial agreement, before tearing it into little pieces.  “I said I don’t need it and I meant that.”
Ric opened the door to leave and nearly walk into Tina Lord Roberts.  He excused himself and Todd’s sister walked over to him at the doorway to the study.  Todd heaved a sigh.  “I’ve changed my mind,” he said, eying the redhead.
“Oh! About letting me plan your wedding?” Tina asked, excitedly.
“No, I think I actually prefer to be totally alone every once in a while,” he snarked at he wheeled around.  “What are you doing here anyway?”
“Well, besides the fact that I promised Viki I’d take care of you--” Tina said.
“I have never needed you to take care of me,” Todd stated brusquely.  “And Viki’s still in town, at least until the appointment.”
“--Sarah just sent me a text.  She needs to speak with us and Starr is with her.  I was already on my way so we can wait for our daughters together,” Tina concluded. 
“God, I hope they get here soon,” Todd mumbled, before receiving a flick on the ear.  He was just about make a nasty retort to his sister when the front door opened and in rushed Sarah and Starr.  “Thank God you’re here, Shorty!” Todd cried.  “Please, tell me what you need to tell me and explain why she has to be here.”  He chucked a thumb at Tina.
“It’s about Irene,” Starr said, her gaze going from her father to her aunt, “and the events surrounding yours and Victor’s births.”



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. nice chapter, love the developments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting that Irene once had a heart and once loved her children.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!