WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 14

It was Monday morning.  Todd and Blair decided to work from home, and help get the kids to school.  Both Sam and Jack were excited about riding in the helicopter for the first time.  Blair was not so thrilled.  "Todd!" she boomed, "It's not safe!"


"Blair, it's okay, it's fine.  Why don't you come with us.  You'll see it's not so bad."


She was frantic, "What if something happens to all of you?"


"Nothing will happen, Mom," Sam said, "We're with Dad!"


He looked at her, "See, they're with Dad."


She gave him the angry huff and puff.  "Todd!"


"Come on, come with us.  That way you'll know.  It's safe.  Safer than most other ways of transportation."


She watched her two baby boys climb into the back of the helicopter.  She saw her husband buckle them in, tightly, and double check the belts.  He closed a special door that secured them in place.  Then, he climbed into the front and started to buckle in, when he peeked his head out, and said, "You should come with us.  I can get back out and strap you in."


Something in her told her to listen to him.  After all, if something did happen, she couldn't live without the three of them. "Oh, you!  All right!"  She waited for him to show her what to do.  Opening another door, he ushered her into place, next to Jack, but on the other side.  She looked at how they were arranged and said, "Todd, Sam has to be on the inside, in the middle."


Obliging her, he made the boys get out, and put Jack near the door.  "Happy?  Nothing can happen, Blair.  If the door opened, Jack couldn't fall out if he tried with those straps.  There's a safety button release here, in case you all need the straps off.  There are parachutes there, in case of need.  But honestly. it will be a five to seven minute ride, and everything will be all right."  He clicked her straps into place.  "Blair, do you trust me?"  He looked into her eyes.


She softened.  "Always."


"All right then, we're off."  He hopped off the the edge and closed her door.  Then  he ran around the side and strapped himself in the passenger side, which, as customary, had no side door.


"Wait!"  she cried.  "You have no door!!!"


"Blair, it's okay trust me."  He leaned, as hard as possible against the belts toward the open side.  "See?"


She folded her arms.  "Well..."


And before she could say more, the helicopter lifted off.  Once they were airborne, she realized how beautiful it was above the world, and she could look down and see Unforgettable, with Addie suddenly on the roof waving goodbye.  "There's Momma!  How did she get up there?"


"Another roof entrance, off the kitchen.  That way people can use it without disturbing us in the bedroom."


"Bye Momma!"  she called out, but of course, Addie could not hear her.  She relaxed and looked around her.  She realized that moment why Todd had always loved the feeling of flying and had interests in purchasing jets and planes.  Mostly, she saw his face, enthralled, as he looked over his side, down to the mountain, his hair fastened in a ponytail.  Her boys, Jack, with his hair tied the same, and Sam, in the middle, rattling on about superheroes, were just as beautiful.  


Within minutes, they set down on the roof of The Manning Building.  Devon was waiting to bring the boys to school.  "Right on schedule," he said.


Todd, not getting out, said, "Tell my niece we're asking for her."


Devon yelled over the helicopter blades, "Great party last night.  Thank you for including me."


Todd yelled back, "If Jess loves you, then you're in.  Take care of my boys, Devon."



"Will do, Mr. Manning."


"Todd."  Todd said.


"Huh?"


"I said Todd!"  He yelled.


"All right, Todd,"  and they lifted off, but not before they watched the boys disappear, to descend the roof staircase, and Todd got out and put himself in the back next to Blair.  He called, "Perzno, take the scenic route."


He took her hand and she looked at him.  "You are....I can't even say it."


"Nuts?"


"That too.  But so....generous, Todd."


"Eh, this isn't generosity, it's a toy.  I love toys, Blair."


"I know you do."   Within minutes, it was clear he had planned a special tour for her.  First, they circled the penthouse, then off to other spots, over Rodi's, near the police department (he chided her that between the two of them, they had spent more time there than at home), the park where their wedding took place, Capricorn, which was in the process of being sold, and La Boulaie.  Finally, they circled around toward Unforgettable, and made it there safely and soundly.


He jumped out, and went to her side.  Opening the door, he said, "Are you all right?"  He put his hands on her hips, and she jumped down to him.  


"Yes, I'm fine.  I have to admit, it was glorious.  The kids will love going to school now because of this.  I guess...I trust you Todd, but who's going to go with them every day?"


"I promise that until you say otherwise, I'll wake up with them every day and go.  And if the weather's not okay, I'll drive them myself."


She kissed his cheek.  "I like the way you think.  Let's go in and see what Ray's up to."


They went inside, and to the nursery.  Addie was sitting with Ray in the rocker.  "Hello, Blair, Todd.  Your hair is a disaster, Blair!"


She hadn't realized how windblown she really was.  'Oh, I forgot about that.'


"You should tie yours up next time, like Todd."


"I'll rememeber that, Momma."


"Todd, I have a favor to ask." Addie said.


"Sure, Addie, what is it?"


"I want you to teach me how to drive that thing.  I really want to.  Can I?"


"Sure.  I am having private lessons for myself, to get my license for it.  I'll enlist the folks to do the same for you."


Blair rolled her eyes and said, "Let me see my son, how is he this beautiful today?"  She took Ray from Addie.


"Look, Todd, he's smiling."  Blair said.


"Oh boy, I'm getting out of here.  I know what usually comes after those smiles, that gassy little boy."


"Todd!"


"Just kidding, lemme see."  The two of them doted for a while on Ray, who was smiling up at both of them.  He said, "he's such a happy kid."


"He is.  But, he's got a devoted Dad and he knows it.  He feels secure in your love, Todd.  Like me."


"I'm glad.  Now can you put the kid back down, and let us get to work?"


She smiled, "Of course, hang on."  She walked back to Addie and placed him in her arms.  "Not too long rocking, Momma.  He'll get spoiled."


Addie looked up at the two of them.  "I think it's a bit late for all that."


They looked at each other and then headed to the home office to work.  


Todd had set it up to be a perfect mini publishing office, complete with all of the necessary technology to communicate instantly with The Sun.  It also included an easel, with an area for him to display the mock-ups, and a large lithograph copier to make them.  Todd spared no expense in his life and he had no need to.  Blair had to admit that this appealed to her, as it always had, but knew it all could vanish, and they could be standing in a shack in tatters and she would still want to give every piece of herself to him.


They sat together and worked, talking through the expose on Carlo Hesser, from the start, with Todd's 'death' in Ireland.  He detailed again how his shooting occurred, and his experience in the car, going over the cliffs, and his subsequent recovery.  All the while, Blair filled in the details from Llanview that were taking place concerning Carlo moving in to the good graces of the citizens, and culminating in his faked death, which he hoped to frame Todd for.  Of course, things had taken a different turn, and Todd, in his jealous rage at the time, had framed Patrick Thornhart, with the help of none other than Zeus.  It was not long after that Zeus was pushed aside, and Patrick staged his own death in the penthouse living room.  She put the tablet down, and stopped typing, saying, "We've had quite the colorful life."


"More than that, it's like three lifetimes, to me.  Maybe four."


"I know.  The first life was until the Gold Balloon Wedding, as you call it."


"The second was started with the car accident that pulled you apart from me.  That and Hurricane Dorian.  I fell apart, Blair.  I lost all touch with being human.  Then, the pay marriage with Tea, the hostage situation.  I was coming undone, without you.  You were with Max, then."


"All right.  Then the third life was your coming back to Llanview and winning me back over."


"Yeah.  Sometimes I miss that stuff so much.  Those crazy things."


"Officer Starr."


"Fireworks during the blackout..."


"That you orchestrated."


"When did you know I was the one," he asked.


"I think always.  But, if you mean in contrast to everything we went through, it was when you washed me.  You undressed me, washed my hands and arms when I shot Max.  I remember I just looked at your face, and I knew right then, 'this is my man, and he'll always take care of me.'"


"I am and I will.  Okay, and being nuns."


"That's never stopped.  We just did that, remember?"


"The fourth life," he said, putting his stuff down and getting up and going to her, "is this one.  The best one.  The one where I live happily ever after with you." 


He leaned down and kissed her, gentle and slow.  She responded similarly, and then said, "Yes."


His face darkened and he said, "And that's the way it's going to stay.  Let's get back to this article.  I want Hesser destroyed in the press before he gets the death penalty in court."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

3 comments:

  1. I fear you plan to let Carlos walk but I hope you get Marty to ice him and then Todd hire her a shrink who makes her well and Patrick and Marty go back to Ireland together and Cole reunites with Starr and Hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas. The book is pretty must pre-determined as I write it, because I write a detailed plan for each book as I go. But I do appreciate the input and hope that you will stay with the books.

      Delete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!